DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:18:33 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The site is now somewhat more smartphone friendly... (Read 11775 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: June 19, 2009, 12:16:16 AM »
The site Wordpress blog should be readible from your cellphones now. I could not get it to work with older phones the way the bbs does however (or at least is doesn't work with the emulator I'm using -- says: Internet error 122: The requested resource is too large -- but I'm guess the blog just isn't handling the caps of this kind of phone correctly)

Anyway, it isn't compatible with the "Super Cache" plugin the site uses, so I've disabled caching for now so you can try it. Fortunately someone else seems to have already solved this prob (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/266174) and I will follow their course just asap.

I don't know if this is frontpage news worthy once it all works out or not rolleyes

I kinda prefer the the way the bbs looks. I might try hacking the Wordpress view to look more like the bbs. I dunno. If people really use the internet this way, I'd like the site to be on the cutting edge.

PS: The Wordpress mobile view seems to be a little buggy character wise. Just deal with it until I can maybe fix it?? In the meantime, if it looks normal to you on your phone, please let me know. Also screenshots would be nice if your phone can do that...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:19:21 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Jessicat
Cat In A Dragon Suit

FemaleView Profile WWW
Dragon Fanatic
Jessicat phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »
Ooh, looks good, loads pretty quick too. Only thing is some formatting [in headlines?] is visible, like <i> and <small>. Still good overall [to take screenshots I'd have to use my digi-cam, lol.
I'm using a Blackberry Pearl 8130 [Telus] if that's noteworthy ^^;

The gate is open; it's time to raise some Hell!

Jessicat has 181 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »
I actually stumbled across what looks like a fairly extensive setup (http://mobiforge.com/running/story/the-dotmobi-wordpress-mobile-pack)

I will try to get this working. I suspect it will be a lot less barebones, and possibly more compatible than the default stripped down mobile plugin (which this stuff probably builds upon)

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:00:31 AM »
I've disabled mobile support on the main website for now because I'm having a more difficult time than I would've thought integrating it with "super-caching" (which trumps mobile)

The immediate solution I'd expected to be able to hack in asap turned out to not be compatible with our software versions... in fact I couldn't even recognize any similarities between the solution and our environment.

The impression I'm getting from Google is Wordpress has traditionally not been mobile friendly just because of this clash between mobile plugins and caching. But frankly I don't understand where the prob is as long as you don't try to cache both (the mobile being the simpler of the two / less common need not be cached)

Anyway, I haven't given up, but it looks like I'll either have to roll up my sleeves and make the two work together manually (which I do all the time) ...or the alternative approach seems to be considering a Wordpress upgrade, because this seems to be not a problem for the bleeding edge Wordpress users, but considering how hacked together this site is, I'm very reticent to go for an upgrade. Or WP version is not at all that old at this point.

Anyway, mobile is off for now (Sorry)

PS: The bbs will still work. And if I am going to fix this by brute force, I'll probably install this fancy mobile pack rather than wasting time with the default mobile setup.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:21:22 AM »
Errr wait... hey cool. Seems like all we need to do was to upgrade the Super-Cache plugin which now recognizes user agents. It might even be making separate caches for the different agents for all I know.

Let us know if you have any problems. I'm already using the mobile-pack, which will hopefully let us customize things a little.

PS: In the meantime, if you see anything on the mobile pages not on the main website please ignore them (eg. right now I'm seeing social bookmarking stuff and email solicitations)

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:10:49 AM »
I did some work on the mobile theme to make the mobile site follow the basic logic of the desktop site. I also added some basic functionality, but a lot is still missing.

Mobile users, let me know if you'd like anything in particular...

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
Hmmm, the caching still seems not right... I'm just going to leave the caching on "half way" until I can figure something better out.

PS: The new wiki mirror pages can be viewed on your phone now (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei_III:_Nocturne)

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »
Ok, I think the cell-phone access finally bypasses the super-cache now doh

Edited: As long as you're using one of these...

2.0 MMP
240x320
AvantGo
BlackBerry
Blazer
Cellphone
Danger
DoCoMo
Elaine/3.0
EudoraWeb
hiptop
MMEF20
MOT-V
NetFront
Newt
Nokia
Opera Mini
Palm
portalmmm
Proxinet
ProxiNet
SHARP-TQ-GX10
Small
SonyEricsson
Symbian OS
SymbianOS
TS21i-10
UP.Browser
UP.Link
Windows CE
WinWAP

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:25:16 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 12:23:49 PM »
I think for my next trick I'll eventually make the front page theme match the bbs theme as much as possible.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
I noticed the caching still was not working, so I monkeyed with it forever, and nothing seemed to be working correctly. I think maybe I know now what I had done to bungle things at some point, but at this point it's impossible to know for sure if my guess is correct.

Anyway, now everything seems to be working. I was actually just doing a test to see if I could get any results, so I just had the Apache server rewrite Mozilla user agents. But once I did this, I started seeing some results I didn't expect. And what it turns out, is these days all the major browsers are Mozilla based, including Google and Apple's browsers, which are at this point the only three browsers I officially try to support with this website (the only browsers anyone should be using frankly -- of course don't forget Firefox is Mozilla) ...so anyway, I realized at that point it is probably a lot saner to just cache pages for Mozilla browsers, rather than try to recognize every mobile device under the sun.

I would add IE to the list, but I'm thinking about just making a different IE theme/cache some day if it can't get it's shit together (25% of the traffic on this site is IE -- compared to like 5% Chrome, 3% Safari)

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 12:14:56 PM »
Actually IE even has Mozilla (compatible) in it's user agent string eek

I was going to change the banner on the front page to insist IE users change browsers, but now I can't because it would get cached. Oh well (this is actually better)

Makes you wonder why IE keeps trying when the first word in it's agent string is Mozilla biggrin

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: