DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:06:26 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripped it, now watch it! [SMTIII Documentary] (Read 90214 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #75 on: July 08, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »
It's on cable, no firewall... I'm guessing your upload speed is not as fast as you think it is. Generally really fast transfers happen over T3/T1 lines like on a campus, or maybe on some networks in Japan where the wires are much faster than they are in the states.

Anyway, I see very fast single peer downloads all the time, but this one is hanging around at standard upload speeds (you being the sole distributor)

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #76 on: July 09, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
^Dunno why I forgot to say that the most obvious reason downloading (and p2p) is faster during the wee hours is because service providers tend to open up their "flood gates" because their expectation of heavy traffic is not so high. Also many networks handle scheduled synchronization (dl/ul) tasks like system updates in the middle of the night so it's good to make sure things go fast so they're done by morning.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #77 on: July 13, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »
I just remembered to add you (Jessicat) to the moderator role for some of the boards. If nothing else it looks better this way redface

I will also add you to the Global Moderator group before I forget. There was some technical reason we had to do this which I forget... maybe it was karma related??

In case you're wondering... your name shows up first in the mod list because I'm guessing your account predates Emilio's. Ie. that's not something that can be changed.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:30:57 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #78 on: July 15, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »
Time for some more Veoh ragging...

So I felt like watching Scorpio Rising, but it was down on Google video, so I clicked the Veoh link. Now the Veoh Compass plugin was installed and working, but it still kept telling me I had to install the compass before I could download. Fortunately Realplayer finally released a FF3 compatible plugin a week or two ago, and what do you know, it has no problem downloading Veoh's own vid. So don't install the compass (unless you like the idea of your browser constantly throwing videos at you to watch based on your browsing habits -- mostly when using google)

PS: My SMTIII Documentary torrent finally finished downloading. It might be a while before I can burn it to a dvd, though theoretically I could phone someone to put a dvd in the tray / burn it remotely / and have it mailed out to me... but I will just wait until I'm in town. In the meantime I'm happy to seed it afaik...

PPS: Wtf people?? Let's see some signs of life around here kidic_death

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:54:52 PM by yksehtniycul »

Jessicat
Cat In A Dragon Suit

FemaleView Profile WWW
Dragon Fanatic
Jessicat phones it in,
 « Reply #79 on: July 17, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
Oh yea, that video compass thing was bloody annoying. Good thing I only had it on my laptop. The other program wasn't so bad though [I only used it to upload though XD]
Edited the first post to encompass all important stuff in the lengthy text walls of this thread :p I'll go see if I can throw this link around as many places as I can think of [which isn't really all that much actually ^^;]

The gate is open; it's time to raise some Hell!

Jessicat has 181 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #80 on: August 19, 2009, 07:51:46 AM »
Ah man, snake eyes... after all that bittorrenting the file is corrupted.

Winace says it's corrupt anyway, but offers to continue. So it does, and then I mount the iso, and it will play some stuff from the beginning of the DVD, not sure how far... but all the titles/chapters go funny, and basically I couldn't get Windows Media player to go to one of the files.

On nice thing about rar archives, is you can generate checksums for each piece, and if your download turns up corrupted, you just gotta re-download the ones where the checksums don't match.

But anyway, I think soon it should be possible to arrange some way for you to upload the iso to the website. I know a 4GB VMware image was uploaded to this host without any trouble, so it should be possible.

Jessicat
Cat In A Dragon Suit

FemaleView Profile WWW
Dragon Fanatic
Jessicat phones it in,
 « Reply #81 on: August 30, 2009, 11:59:54 AM »
Damn it, seriously? I just extracted the one I have, it gave me an error [even though it didn't give me any problems compressing]. I could load some of the DVD fine, but it froze sometimes. Guess I need to find a program to rip it and do this all over again x.X

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #82 on: August 30, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »
Well in general I don't think it's safe having files this size in one big chunk. I recommend using a compression method that can split the file up into multiple chunks (like rar) then using one of those programs that writes a text file with the checksum for every chunk, which you can run a program with that will say if any of the chunks are bad, so that that way you can just download the chunks that are bad.

Soon I think I will setup a subdomain which we can basically use like anonymous ftp, so everyone can upload large files to the host. Might call it comp.digitaldevildb.com, dunno. Still I don't think it's safe to have a 4GB file. To easy to be corrupted at any point during download. I guess technically you should always check your files to make sure they work before submitting them for download as well smug

Jessicat
Cat In A Dragon Suit

FemaleView Profile WWW
Dragon Fanatic
Jessicat phones it in,
 « Reply #83 on: August 30, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »
x.x but it didn't error out when I compressed it. Hm, that means I'd have to have it split into a zillion smaller rar files? I hate those ;>> meh, first I need to rip it again.

Oooh, filehosting smt stuff sounds cool too :3

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #84 on: August 30, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »
I meant to add... I'm not sure how rar breaks up it's files or why. My guess is originally it was for storing them onto floppy disks. There is probably a better way to go about it. Such as a program that will split any file up and generate checksums at the same time. I wouldn't recommend rar as a format anyway, but it does have that functionality built in. I'm guessing you can choose what size the rar cabinets (or whatever they're called should be) but maybe not.

For a file like 4GB, I'd suggest breaking it up int about 20 or 40 pieces. We'd probably need large files broke up anyway eventually if I can ever get an html way of uploading files going. Problem is I don't know how to download folders via html, but there is probably a way. Would certainly not be cool to ask people to download that many files individually. There is just a basic problem with downloading files that size when you're dealing with data that expects itself to be 100% intact. It's very likely the large file will be corrupted somewhere after download, and then people have to re-download the file (more bandwidth) and it might happen again and again, and a lot of the times you just can't download/upload stuff that is really big under many conditions.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #85 on: August 30, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »
^One thing I think there must be is a way to download a list of urls, then somehow have that then downloaded by another program. Like a bittorrent file only simpler.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: