DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:48:10 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TUTORIAL: Quick Guide for posting in Wordpress (Read 15324 times)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « on: January 15, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »
I open this thread for those who will (or want) start posting news or anything else related to a Wordpress account and the management of the same, and they are not familiarized with Wordpress. Please notice this, all the images that I'm going to use for this guide are of the Spanish Wordpress interface, so if you have the English one, it would look different (obvious).

Wordpress Quick Guide for Posting

Once you have given an account by the site admin (yksehtniycul) you will be able to enter the Wordpress board. If you're able to do log in that means that you volunteer yourself to help with the site's blog. And what can you do with your Wordpress account? You can start posting news related to the Megaten universe or help with the migration of pages. First, you'll need to go to your account following this link and you will see something like this:

Enter your username and password and you'll reach the blog's Board. In here you will find the following:

-Different options to start a new post
-Options that will let you handle your account and close your session
-Stats of the blog
-Recent comments
-Recent links to the site
-News related to Wordpress

Once you familiarize yourself with the site, you can start handling some stuff from your account first, so you might want to click your user name that is located to the right:

User's Account

At your account screen you will notice some options, most of them related to your username and password, writing a bio about yourself, links to your homepage, etc. If you want to make some updates in here this is the place. You will notice a couple of really useful and interesting options:

If you click on the "Visual Editor" you will get 2 different windows when you're going to post, one with the "Visuals" and the other with the "HTML" for those who don't know much of HTML or get confused easily between all command lines (like myself) you better turn on this option and enable the "Visual Editor" in that way, you will be able to write whatever you want without looking or handling tags of HTML, and when you need to use HTML just click on the "HTML" button and the interface will change. (example below)

And the other option is the "Color Layout", this will change between 2 different background colors of Wordpress, nothing too important but if you get bored or prefer the other you can change it in here.

Once you finish modifying your account you can start writing or editing your posts. Just click on the Write or Edit options below the name of the blog:

Writing Articles

Click on the "Write" button and the next screen will appear:

In here as you can see you're able to write a title and text below. Also other options such as "Tags" are also available in here. If the article you're going to submit is too long, then make sure that you keep saving your work often. Once you click the "save" option your article will be save as a "Draft" and it will be published until you select the option "Pending Revision" and click the "send for revision" button, once you do that, you're article will be revised by the admin (yksehtniycul) and if all is as it should be, yksehtniycul will submit the article.

As you can see, if you press the "Visual" button and then press the "HTML" button (and you have HTML code in your entry) you will see the difference, some button will appear for the tags and the whole text you're writing will be in HTML code. Here's an example:

Visual:

HTML:

Then you should choose a category for your article and add some tags and if you have enough permissions then you can add media to your article.

Editing Articles

If you want to edit an article of yours, then go to the "Edit" option, in here you will find all the blog's entries from all the user, of course you can't edit or view any of the other user's articles. Every article have the Author name, date, the status and a checkbox if you want to delete them.

Also Wordpress will display ALL the entries that are published so if you can't find your article, it will probably be at the "Draft" section, try to look in there.

That's all for this quick guide, please if you have any questions let us know so we can help you as soon as possible. Also! Please keep in mind that I'm using the Spanish interface of Wordpress so I translated some of the words I used in here, probably they're named differently. I hope it helps tongue

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:53:32 PM by Emilio Morales »

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:18:51 PM »
Thanks!

Did you ever try that trick I suggested to make our WordPress user interface Spanish?

Also, small note. I've never really used the Visual Editor, but I'm glad to hear if it shows you the html. Regardless if you're making pages (not necessarily posts) I prefer you to not use the Visual Editor, because it just makes my life more difficult when I have to edit stuff, and it also doesn't insert paragraph and line break elements (it expects them to be added by WordPress automatically) which our page system needs to show pages correctly (because I don't let WordPress cram <p> and <br> elements into pages so I can control the content more finely)

Btw Emilio, if you put your underline bbcode on the inside, it should make your underlines match your font size (on all browsers) like this...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:30:10 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
PS: Maybe one day Ry will add a tutorial about how we do some things around here in particular. We kind of need that more than a general WordPress tut rainbow
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:26:07 PM by yksehtniycul »

Aren

View Profile Email
Aren phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »
Looks pretty good and covers most questions I can think of. Thanks for your help.

Aren has 10 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:47:45 PM »
Thanks!

Did you ever try that trick I suggested to make our WordPress user interface Spanish?

To tell you the truth, I've never tried dazed

Btw Emilio, if you put your underline bbcode on the inside, it should make your underlines match your font size (on all browsers) like this...

I didn't see that eek I'll correct it right away!

Looks pretty good and covers most questions I can think of. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome! rolleyes

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »
Thanks!

To tell you the truth, I've never tried dazed

Just add ?lang_pref=es to any WordPress url and you'll be stuck in Spanish mode until you do ?lang_pref=en. (If there is already a ? in the url, use & instead)

In the future this will only effect the "dashboard" pages, and I will add it as an option in your user profile. But for now this is not an official feature!

You're welcome! rolleyes

I just realized the other day we kinda abuse the rolleyes emoticon around here rolleyes

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 04:56:58 PM »
Another trick that might be useful for authors (I'm not sure)

The pages are now cached for about a day, generally this won't effect anything I think. But if you think a page is supposed to be changing, but it isn't... you can just append some arguments to the url like ?sync=1.

In fact anything previously not used on that page will work, but I hack the system so urls with ?nocache will never be cached, and in fact if you use ?nocache, all links on normal pages will have ?nocache appended to them as well, so any link from that page won't be cached and so on.

This at the least is very handy for me, as I'm regularly changing the look of the website via various hacks and theme edits smokin

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: