DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:51:07 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Page Avatar Preview (Read 18752 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: October 19, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »
Here is a preview of an avatar layout for pages goodnight

The height of the bubble would realistically be more than that (pushing the page text down) at that small of a width, but you can get the idea.

Some one can download/host this image if you wanna.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:37:37 AM by yksehtniycul »

* avatar-preview.jpg (272.1 KB, 795x464 - viewed 1421 times.)

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
I just noticed if you click on the image (not the link) it sometimes becomes full sized. I noticed Google Chrome was doing that before, but I thought it was a feature. I couldn't reliably get Firefox to do it at the time, but it seems to be working better now.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »
Wow, that looks soooooo cool!  dazed  Clips over the banner in kind of a weird spot though.

Still, NEAT.  biggrin

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:04:45 AM »
Yeah, well it's just a preview. I'm going to move the search box to the top, so the avatars will have something flat under them. That might make things flow better. I'm also gonna widen the sidebar (the content margins seem to be excessively large) ...I could then maybe scoot the avatars back some. When I just put him over the sidebar it seemed like he was too far away from the page content to visually associate with it.

I could make the avatars align with the bottom of the banner, but the banner would have to be taller... however I don't like this idea, because it makes them look like they are the banner, and also I think the layering effect would be lost, and that subtracts from the physical presence of the avatar.

As for the banner itself being forced into the background, I've no problem with this. The banner is the most redundant aspect of the website. As long as the main wording is visible I don't think anything is lost. This is why I suggested before the banner should be more background like. It already takes up enough of the top of the screen, adding an avatar in that space without overlapping it would be virtually an entire screen devoid of content for most readers.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:09:31 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »
Btw, I gotta admit I was surprised how the word bubble came out. I'd no idea what I was gonna do when I started experimenting. It didn't take long to get there. That is probably as good as could be done in the bubble format in the current theme. I could've also gone with a more traditional video game style text dialog, but I really didn't want to.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 12:32:07 AM »
You know... this might be a good time to ask what the avatars should have to say??

I figure in the first part of a top-level section (in the pages) they should say Welcome as briefly as possible. Then on other pages they could offer basic advice.

Instead of moving the search bar up maybe there could be an Ask drop down bar under the avatar instead, for FAQs. Then the answer would appear in the word bubble.

The bottom part is reserved for Google style ads of course.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:40:01 AM »
I attached a new screenshot with a FAQ drop down box.

I'm also thinking the Welcome message should include, "My name is Igor," in this case.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:18:04 AM »
Had I known this was your intention with the banner I would've had an entirely different approach.  I figured these would be used in conjunction with news items.   doh

If it's not too difficult we could provide a few different options with each.  A brief introductory of course like you said, for Igor:

"I am Igor.  How can I help you?"
-Persona series-Related articles/Latest news
-FAQs & Guides-Front page

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:17:21 AM »
Had I known this was your intention with the banner I would've had an entirely different approach.  I figured these would be used in conjunction with news items.   doh

If it's not too difficult we could provide a few different options with each.  A brief introductory of course like you said, for Igor:

"I am Igor.  How can I help you?"
-Persona series-Related articles/Latest news
-FAQs & Guides-Front page
I always explained how they'd work rolleyes

They will appear at the top of the news category pages, and probably offer access to subcategories in the drop down box. I will eventually try to put a smaller graphic by the news items if it's possible to fit it in.

Basically he'll introduce himself in the word bubble. The drop down box is so you can interact. I could eventually work out a counter for the most used options and sort them higher. But they'll basically be simple FAQ questions with answers that can fit into the word bubble. Probably some "Take me to X" options for jumping to a special page. Other options a user might otherwise not notice through normal navigation. All the pages are still listed underneath as "Further Reading."

I like "Further Reading" but it isn't logically applicable to some kinds of pages. I'm not sure if I'll hack in a distinction or not.

I might take out "Igor: " and just let that be a question too, which an avatar would reply you know, "click on our sponsors / donate / lend a hand," and so on.

Basically you select questions from the menu, and the response goes in the word bubble of the page you're on or the page you're taken to.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:19:55 AM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 03:44:22 AM »
 sweatdrop I guess what I meant was that at least four options to select from would be ideal.

Maybe if there was some way to interject something immediately after asking the question, stuff like, "Of course," "One moment please," but generally keeping with the avatar's personality.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 03:47:46 AM »
sweatdrop I guess what I meant was that at least four options to select from would be ideal.

Maybe if there was some way to interject something immediately after asking the question, stuff like, "Of course," "One moment please," but generally keeping with the avatar's personality.

There could be a very long list of options available as items are continually added. Anything can be loaded into the word bubble. Which is generally where you'd see the response. I'm sure there is a way to delay things, but unless it was because the new page was loading in the background, it would just be wasting peoples time for the sake of flash appeal.

edited: Basically it isn't a mini-game... it's a cover for ads, navigation for dummies, and a way to personalize the pages. And of course the responses should be in character, to whatever extent anyone can claim to know these character's character wink

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:51:36 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 04:09:33 AM »
PS: It occurred to me maybe you're confused from when I said "FAQs".  A real FAQ page is supposed to be a list of Q&A itemes listed from the most asked to the least asked (though all frequently asked)

At any rate, we won't be calling anything a FAQ that isn't a FAQ.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:14:34 AM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 04:46:12 AM »
The trouble with that idea though is who exactly is frequently asking these questions?  I rarely find documents such as those helpful in any case.  I guess I did mean FAQ in the gameFAQs sense but we don't have to call them that.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 04:52:49 AM »
The trouble with that idea though is who exactly is frequently asking these questions?  I rarely find documents such as those helpful in any case.  I guess I did mean FAQ in the gameFAQs sense but we don't have to call them that.

Generally they're asked by all means until someone gets sick of answering them and draws up a FAQ document so they don't have to deal with questions anymore.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 04:59:07 AM »
Btw, it is way off topic. But I think another major driver for the website might be trying to get a team together that could work on converting text files into hypertext guides -- published here exclusively. The whole premise of Gamefaqs drives me nuts anymore. It's the 21st century... Gamefaqs shouldn't even permit text "faqs" anymore much less seem to encourage them by apparently not making it easy (or even possible?) to publish hypertext.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: