DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:23:32 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STICKY: The Tony Time Capsule (Read 11154 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: October 11, 2008, 12:41:33 AM »
Tony's website is now backed up at the following address:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/tony/

We'll need the sources there to migrate Tony et al's pages into the Wordpress database.

Unfortunately Tony was inconsistent about using relative versus absolute urls. He used both, often side by side, but more absolute urls than not. The absolute urls are now broken. I'd like to eventually try to replace the urls with relative ones. But it's too much work to do by hand, and requires ftp access.

As Wordpress Contributors help us migrate pages into the Wordpress database, they should fix the urls best they can. Once in the database however they will be easier to fix -- not requiring ftp.

I fixed the urls in the header and footer but the sidebars are too numerous. So if you're trying to get to an article, and you come to a 404 page. Just slip tony/ in after digitaldevildb.com/ and you'll get to the page you wanted to go to.

I've placed a link to Tony's directory first in the Wordpress header menu. The rest of the menu items now point to Wordpress. I'll write something on Tony's index page when I get a chance.

This is just a backup. In the future it could be possible to develop a theme for the Wordpress database that mimics Tony's pages for nostalgia purposes.

In the meantime if you value all of Tony's dedicated work, we're going to need your help to transfer his work into the database. 676

I'll build the empty page tree in the database, but it will be up to Contributors to fill them in. Below is a presently empty page:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/

The link inside points to the corresponding page in Tony's directory. When I'm able I'll add a tutorial to missing pages which will explain how you can fix the page. After I do so I'll let everyone know or copy the tutorial into the forums somewhere. At any rate there is no reason to go digress about it now.

I have to edit the link to Tony's page manually, so many missing pages might not have links. In which case you'll just have to find the corresponding page yourself.

If you start copying over a page, please try to finish the job. Because you'll become the author, and it will require administrative intervention to transfer the authorship.

Sites don't build themselves. And don't believe a community can't build it's own website! hearton

PS: Let's everyone work together! jester megaman guitarist 508 drummer guitarist  676676676 devopopcorn2 1zhelp

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:04:25 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:32:06 PM »
Ok, a 10 click fix occurred to me for fixing the sidebar links. There might still be some bad links in the sidebars, but not likely. The pages will still have some bad internal links in them.

edited: Actually, upon further browsing I noticed Tony actually had duplicated the sidebars into other directories. So most of the deeper files don't use the sidebars I fixed sick 

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:26:07 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
I received a complaint about links to the site being broken.

It's important we get volunteers to help migrate the site pages into Wordpress.

In the meantime I'll edit the 404 page to offer suggestions for finding the missing linke sweatdrop

edited: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/badurl

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:35:46 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:25:26 AM »
Ok, a 10 click fix occurred to me for fixing the sidebar links. There might still be some bad links in the sidebars, but not likely. The pages will still have some bad internal links in them.

Actually, upon further browsing I noticed Tony actually had duplicated the sidebars into other directories. So most of the deeper files don't use the sidebars I fixed sick

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »
I'm sort of contemplating what to say on the front page of Tony's site. I'm not really sure, but looking for official statements from Tony I came across this in the hidden "Staff Forum" from the old site which seems to shed some light on Tony's on feelings in case there are any die hard Tony purists still lurking amongst us...

Hi guys. I wanted to make a post about this. Traci is already aware of the situation.

I'm essentially too busy for this site and find myself no longer really interested running the site myself. As such, Traci and a friend of hers are taking it over. It's being moved over to a different server. I won't have any real involvement in the site any longer. It might change gears or layout completely considering this. I don't really know.

Demi-Heat and Emilio: Do not feel that your Demonary work has been wasted. I've already discussed the situation with them. Your work will be added to the Demonary and you will continue to remain in that position if you wish to. As far as that goes, nothing should change.

I'd prefer this was kept a relative secret for now... but if you notice the site go down or anything weird happen in the near future, this is why.

Thanks a lot for all of your help, I really appreciate it. I just feel that my heart is no longer in this site and that it would be unfair for me to continue working on it. Instead of closing it down, it will be going to two people who are familiar with it and are capable of hosting it properly. I am sure it will all be for the best.

- Tony

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: