DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:17:28 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (Read 83728 times)
dilapoid

View Profile Email
dilapoid phones it in,
 « on: August 21, 2005, 07:43:43 PM »
This is the only game of the MegaTen games I've played, and thus far it's been very enjoyable.  Tony's the one that turned me on to the game.

Thus far the aspect I enjoy the most is the demon-fusing/ collecting, because it's very reminiscent of Pokemon and it's why I've always loved Pokemon.  The game also has some rock-paper-scissors-like mechanics as well, just like Pokemon, which add a nice breadth of depth to the battle system.

Overall, I'd have to agree with Tony in saying that this is the best RPG on the PS2.

It's a pretty hard game.  I've been frustrated many times: when fighting those oni bosses (were those ever BITCHES), and so on.  I like the challenge, though.  It makes you want to overcome the odds.

I'd like to see what this game is like on Hard mode.  It's already so hard on Normal.  :redxdance

dilapoid has 3 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 07:51:44 PM »
It's better than Pokemon. If anything, Pokemon can be accused of stealing a lot of the mechanics from Megami Tensei. Though, I enjoyed Gold/Silver very much.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Dante
Self Hunter

View Profile Email
cloud_strife656@hotmail.com Zidane Meteor zell12limit
Dante phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 05:37:33 AM »
Nocturne is thus far, a very enjoyable experience. However, I left the game in the cave of the Oni because I died accidentally and found myself going about other things.

To be honest, I haven't found the battles extremely difficult yet, except my first few attempts at The Matador. That was very unfair, however, after a few tries and changes of strategy, I finally overcame him. I must note that the battles are considerably more difficult than other RPGs though.

My favourite scenes so far though were the ones with Gozu Tennoh. They were pretty disturbing at times, and yet enthralling.

Dante has 5 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Parasite
Shining Force ftw!

View Profile WWW Email
ParasiteMT@gmail.com COTMFreak parasitemt
Parasite phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 09:22:14 PM »
I had a great experience with Nocturne, too bad I don't own it and was leeching it off a friend for awhile.  I might think of asking her about it later so that I can play it again, else I shell out money on Ebay.

I can pretty much say that it was a very fun game, I only got up to Thor and couldn't beat him in time, but it was still fun.  Matador gave me a hell of a time because I was under leveled and didn't think of bringing Force absorbing/null demons, not to mention I was seriously under leveled.  

If I remember correctly, X-Play gave SMT:N a five out of five (a rare thing, indeed) and said it was the best RPG of 2005(4?), and I whole heartily agree with it.  There are so many great things in this game that you won't find in a standard RPG, it's what makes this game so great.

Parasite has 65 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 10:20:54 AM »
Quote from: Parasite
If I remember correctly, X-Play gave SMT:N a five out of five (a rare thing, indeed) and said it was the best RPG of 2005(4?), and I whole heartily agree with it. There are so many great things in this game that you won't find in a standard RPG, it's what makes this game so great.

Yeah, they did. The only other RPG they've given that score to (at least since I last saw) was Knights of the Old Republic. I can't say I really care for the show all that much, but it's nice to see it get a good review.

It's been a long time since I've played this game, relatively speaking. Since then I've finished several other titles and gone through DDS, so my memories of Nocturne are rather blurred.

I have to start playing through it again so I can get its section on D3 going... maps, demonary and whatever else.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
dilapoid

View Profile Email
dilapoid phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »
Matador was easy as hell for me.  I beat him the second time around. . .

The final Oni boss in the cave place was the biggest bitch of a boss thus far.  It took me about 15 tries to finally win, and it was a glorius victory indeed after being frustrated, so very frustrated.

Now I'm stuck at the Moriae sisters: I've battled each of them alone and when you go to battle them again they keep running away like before.  I'm going to be looking at a FAQ in moments to figure out what the hell I have to do to pass them.

dilapoid has 3 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Early Archer
Crystalline water

View Profile Email
Early Archer phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 11:10:18 PM »
You just have to beat the Moirae sisters in the right order. I belive it was Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos. Once you've done it a path will open. You will fight them again, and this time it will be all 3 at the same time, but it's really easy if you got strong demons.
I got stuck at them in my first playtrough. My demons were too obsolete.xd I had too do lots and lots of fusions, after that, it was ridiculously easy. A high lvl Kishin is a good choice as always.

May fortune be with you.

Early Archer has 93 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
JaggedJim
Persona User

View Profile Email
JaggedJim phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 03:33:07 AM »
Nocturne was a great game. The only thing that irked me was the fact that you could once you got rid of a skill it was gone forever. That definately made for some rough early games when I wasn't sure which skill was better and ended up stuck with some real lousy skill choices.

But the biggest question about the game has not been answered: What happened to that guy's shirt?

JaggedJim has 27 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 03:39:14 AM »
Quote from: JaggedJim
But the biggest question about the game has not been answered: What happened to that guy's shirt?

The protagonist's shirt, or Nitta's? If we're talking the protagonist then... Lucifer's a goddamn thief. That's what I think.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
JaggedJim
Persona User

View Profile Email
JaggedJim phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 06:10:23 AM »
I am talking about the protagonist's shirt. I had always assumed that those face... things ate Nitta's shirt.

JaggedJim has 27 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Early Archer
Crystalline water

View Profile Email
Early Archer phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 08:48:52 PM »
Quote from: JaggedJim
Nocturne was a great game. The only thing that irked me was the fact that you could once you got rid of a skill it was gone forever. That definately made for some rough early games when I wasn't sure which skill was better and ended up stuck with some real lousy skill choices...

That sucked! Or not... You had to plan everything much more carefully. I personaly like DDS system better, much more flexible.

May fortune be with you.

Early Archer has 93 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Soulless_Beast
Tragic Idiot.

View Profile Email
furious_st
Soulless_Beast phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 07:28:44 PM »
^ You too. Huh.

Pandas on the storm.... Pandas on the storm.... Into this house we roam. Then to the streets we run. When the peeps aren't having fun it's to us they first shall come. Pandas on the storm... YEAH!

Soulless_Beast has 101 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Sith Lord Illidan
Vicious Ranch Tooth

View Profile Email
hanumachine_R@yahoo.com
Sith Lord Illidan phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 08:02:08 AM »
Nocturne is a great game, very hard, but very cool. One of my toughest challenge was to fill the Demon Conpemdum to 100% on my first try, and I was able to achive my goal. I have played a lot of RPGs in the past, and I was able to beat each, and every one of them after 50 hours when I play them the first time, but I have never spent more than 130 hours during my first try on Nocturne.

Sith Lord Illidan has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nilivanili
nilivanili phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 06:26:44 AM »
I'm having trouble getting the game Nocturne but Shin megami tensei: Lucifer's call is available. Is this a different game or just a different version of Nocturne?
thnx

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 01:46:59 PM »
Quote from: nilivanili
I'm having trouble getting the game Nocturne but Shin megami tensei: Lucifer's call is available. Is this a different game or just a different version of Nocturne?
thnx

Lucifer's Call is just the title name for the European release of SMT III Nocturne Maniax.  Same game.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: