DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:59:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoa...! What the... (Read 59456 times)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « on: September 07, 2008, 12:49:11 AM »
Dunno if you noticed...but, the forums went pretty crazy glitchy right now.  Simply put, in a single post...everything is mixed up; post options, user stats, and the post itself...

It'd be super if this could be fixed soon.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:12:24 AM »
Yeah, meet the new post layout  biggrin

I put the top horizontal rule back in, but it might have a bug in some versions of Firefox (which is why I removed it before)

I actually made a thread in the proper forum specifically asking you DON*T FREAK OUT!  doh

edited: If you think the layout isn't rendering correctly for you, then please post a screenshot.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:48:31 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:29:54 AM »
http://i36.tinypic.com/2hfj33c.png

I'd say that looks weird...btw...  I think we'll need a slight forum reorganization...this is the second time I missed something important because it was placed at a random spot.  face15

I suggest you put Karma Palace and The Underground at the very top of the boards.  The bottom is traditionally for stuff like locked threads and other wacky thingies...

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 01:56:27 AM »
The boards are ordered based on who is likely to be interested in them, and how often. The final board is more of a meta board about the forums, so if you're interested in the forums in that sense, just make more of an effort to look down there. I recommend you use the "unread posts" link at the top of every page. Otherwise I don't think this software has a list of unread posts period (if someone finds out how to let me know)

As for the forum layout, I really like it, and it took me more than 2hrs I'm sure (no thanks to a couple bugs in browsers) so you'll just have to get used to it. If you have any suggestions about the layout, please deposite them in the development forum (The Underground)

The basic philosophy behind the layout won't be changing however -- that is the post text wraps around the avataar. If not for this, your current avataar for instance would generate nearly half a page of white space per post for many display resolutions  tongue

PS: Your screenshot appears exactly how it should thankfully. It should look nice regardless of the viewport dimensions (errr wait no.... you have the HR bug. Try upgrading your firefox and let me know if it goes away -- Firefox seems to have recently undergone a major release)

The rule only jumps out like that with Firefox. It isn't a programming bug, it's a Firefox software bug. The version of FF I'm using right now doesn't see it, but the one on my main machine does atm)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:00:37 AM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 01:58:57 AM »
The boards are ordered based on who is likely to be interested in them, and how often. The final board is more of a meta board about the forums, so if you're interested in the forums in that sense, just make more of an effort to look down there. I recommend you use the "unread posts" link at the top of every page. Otherwise I don't think this software has a list of unread posts period (if someone finds out how to let me know)

As for the forum layout, I really like it, and it took me more than 2hrs I'm sure (no thanks to a couple bugs in browsers) so you'll just have to get used to it. If you have any suggestions about the layout, please deposite them in the development forum (The Underground)

The basic philosophy behind the layout won't be changing however -- that is the post text wraps around the avataar. If not for this, your current avataar for instance would generate nearly half a page of white space per post for many display resolutions  tongue
Well...I suppose you have a point...

But, this IS gonna take some getting used to...and it'll possibly confuse newcomers... 

(But there still isn't a way to make this look prettier.....it's way too....nirvana...)

EDIT:  Holy crap.  Dude...sorry, but there's NO way you can like the way the quote function looks now...
http://i38.tinypic.com/21625v.png

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:00:40 AM by QBasic »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 02:07:11 AM »
Quoting does that. And I'm happy with the way it looks, though I could look into it. It's set to clear the floating blocks on the left. It's in a square div so it can't wrap like normal text. I could break it out of the box or maybe try to find some other ways to hack the forum (which would have to mean smaller quote boxes that float off to the side.

I like it this way though. Don't worry about making white space cause of the quote. One good thing about this layout is short quips don't generate a lot of wasted space.

Basically if I didn't force it down there. the outline and purple colour inside the quote goes into the avataar region. The text doesn't however. But that is unacceptable.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:08:44 AM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 02:11:44 AM »
Man...now I'm regretting opening my big mouth about "making it the way it was"...  doh

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 02:24:14 AM »
This is best for everyone. It's a compromise. You just have a natural fear of change it seems  rainbow

If the HR bug becomes a problem, I'll remove it period.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:27:03 AM »
This is best for everyone. It's a compromise. You just have a natural fear of change it seems  rainbow

If the HR bug becomes a problem, I'll remove it period.
...I'm fairly certain Emilio would agree with me on this one...  face15  Along with practically everyone else...

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:31:10 AM »
This isn't the purview of moderators.

You don't have to abuse quotes so much either. If you're just responding to the post before you, why quote?  razz

I like the quotes anyhow. They pop out right undeneath your avataar. Which seems appropriate.

edited: Besides, posting just one line generates the same amount of white space!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:35:01 AM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 02:36:37 AM »
Then I guess....I should change my avatar back to the wide ones, like back in the days.

I'm peeved though.  I really liked this new "long" style.  I mean...I certainly can't have a wide Machete avatar.  It's impossible.  face15

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 02:45:03 AM »
Which is why we're using this setup. We won't be discrimating against users' avataars this way  rainbow

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 02:49:51 AM »
And speaking of that...the avatar system is way fragged, dude...

For example...why is it stretched to high heaven...when it should be like this:

...And I ain't seeing any settings to set up my own width and height...

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 02:59:02 AM »
I dunno. It shouldn't be that way if when you uploaded it the width was 192 pixels or less (the max size)

I'll look at it.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 03:04:21 AM »
It shouldn't do that. The limits are 192x192 128KB. Let me know if you can't work it out. I had no problems myself with my avataar.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: