DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:46:54 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh boy, just bought a PS3 (Read 37941 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: August 20, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »
Just bought a PS3, thought I'm not sure what to do with it:

http://www.shoptechwiz.com/index.php/video-game-consoles/282-sony-playstation-3-20-gb-world-verison.html

Sucker went up 20$ during the last two days my internet was down.

Seems really odd these Japanese units were on sale this way. Must not be able to get rid of them in Japan. There isn't much info on these "world versions" in English. Maybe if I put it in katakana or something I might learn more.

Has there been any new news about a PS3 Megaten game?

I found a used Armored Core 4 import on ebay for 35$ total, otherwise I can't think of much worth trying in the games dept (of the PS3 lineup)

I wish Fromsoftware would announce a King's Field type title for PS3.

I'm thinking I'll put Linux on it, and try my hand at porting some software projects.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:20:58 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:39 AM »
Found this: http://www.gamekyo.com/images0_4_28377.html

Was there a cat in Nocturne??? Looks like maybe the next game will be another of the DS:Kuzunoha Raidou vein (I know it has a cat like that)

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
Welcome to the PS3 owners group :P and about the image you posted, is related to "Devil Summoner Kuzunoha Raidou Vs. King Abaddon" for the PS2.

http://www.new-moon.tv/

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:52:15 AM »
Oh yeah, I was wondering what that url could be. I have a feeling I'll mostly be playing Raidou on this PS3 for a while. I'll have to wait to see the vid, I'm on my portable and it doesn' have a player installed. I'm fixing the banner for 800x600 display, it looks really cool, but needs some minor pixel adjustments to fit.

Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »
Yeah just as Emilio stated,there will be a sequel to Devil Summoner Raidou.It will be released in Japan in October,no U.S. release date has been stated just yet.

But I'm really looking forward to it.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:56:13 AM »
So that's what I'll be playing in three to five years down the line  tongue

I was thinking. SMT3:Nocturne technically had a subtitle. I wonder if Atlus was saving a "true" SMT3 for the PS3???

Looks just auspicious enough to be possible  ninja

Let us kill YHVH with a Cell processor I say! Though I wonder if a YHVH boss battle could make it overseas. I actually think it could at this point. Everyone knows video games are the work of the devil anyways... right??

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:58:48 AM by yksehtniycul »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
I'm really looking forward to the day a Megaten game reaches a PS3 system. Of course I'm also excited for Persona 4 and Devil Summoner 2, but I really want to see what magnificent piece of art they can make on the PS3. Like someone said before, imagine Lucifer with the PS3 graphics O_O

Let us kill YHVH with a Cell processor I say! Though I wonder if a YHVH boss battle could make it overseas.

By now, I think ATLUS will localize any new Megaten game. Just look how good they went with Persona 3, with P3 ATLUS gained a big bunch of fans that are looking forward to this games, and not permiting a localization of a new game (even if you can battle with YHVH, Lucifer and Satan at the same time XD) would be a big mistake for the company. Players will import the Japanese game anyway, so I don't see any point in not localizing a Megaten game now that the "Shin Megami Tensei" franchise is a powerful RPG contestant.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 12:04:58 PM »
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high about Atlus gracefully mounting the PS3. I'd just be impressed if they could manage a straight forward SMT plot that wasn't too far off base like Nocturne was. In retrospect I really think if Nocturne was truly SMT3, then the subtitle wouldn't have been used. I think SMT3 was more just tacked on to Nocturne to sell units. I could easily be wrong (and usually am in these matters) but it seems like the only title Atlus could debut on PS3 would be a straight SMT3 or SMT4. If it was gonna be some gaiden, then it would've already been published probably.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nocturne was a kind of prequel to a new line of SMT sequels. To be honest it bothers me that Atlus has sole rights to make these games more or less. But lets face it, those knuckle heads got the rights atm, so what can you do?? And for whatever it's worth, realistically it could be much worse  geno

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:06:36 PM by yksehtniycul »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »
Is sad when you have to wait for the product to be analyzed and censored (in some cases). It's sad to wait like a year or maybe more than a year the have a game in your hands, and the same happens with the Megaten series, I waited A LOT of time with each game, for example, I buyed Avatar Tuner 1 a while ago, cause that game NEVER reach my country and never will be. I was lucky to find Avatar Tuner 2, the same happens with Persona 3 and FES, and I was lucky with Nocturne since I bought it used at a video game store, but probably that game was imported cause it never reached my country crying

So what happens here, If I really want to play a game I need to wait it reaches America, then I need to wait cause I have to buy it online, I will spend my whole lifetime waiting a Megaten game to come here crying  And I guess the same will happen with a Megaten PS3 game (if it is released). And once I have the megaten game I wanted, I see that there's another coming, of course, in Japan. So what I think we really need (specially people that have the same issue) is to import the Japanese games, cause in that way I will not have to wait an eternity for the US release, then learn Japanese to its fully potential and have my console read the Japanese format, and I'm done  biggrin

Sorry if this doesn't come with the topic, but reading what we have written, remembered me that frustration  sweatdrop And now something like that happen again, with the contest of the Persona 4 T-Shirt and Artbook, it is only available for people in Canada and US, crying If only they permitted contestants from Latin America crying

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:18:28 PM »
By now, I think ATLUS will localize any new Megaten game. Just look how good they went with Persona 3, with P3 ATLUS gained a big bunch of fans that are looking forward to this games

Not to be a jerk, but I think you are overestimating the sway of P3 by a decent amount. I feel the SMT panel at Anime Expo 2008 is a pretty decent indicator of this sentiment. P3 did draw in a lot of new fans, but a fair amount of those fans seem to care little for the earlier non Persona segments of the franchise. Take a look at the lack of reaction towards the mention of Nocturne in comparison to the rowdy reception P3 gets. Listen to all of the P3 centric questions.

I don't think it necessarily bodes well for the series in the west.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:41:26 PM »
Not to be a jerk, but I think you are overestimating the sway of P3 by a decent amount. I feel the SMT panel at Anime Expo 2008 is a pretty decent indicator of this sentiment. P3 did draw in a lot of new fans, but a fair amount of those fans seem to care little for the earlier non Persona segments of the franchise. Take a look at the lack of reaction towards the mention of Nocturne in comparison to the rowdy reception P3 gets. Listen to all of the P3 centric questions.

Well, yeah, you have a good point in there. People who were attracted by P3, by this point they only know and care about P3 and maybe the upcoming P4 and not the others segments of the franchise, like DDS for example or Devil Summoner.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 01:05:26 AM »
Well I only play Japanese games, though I tend not to get around to it until it's already been localized in NA for oh say three or more years! Sometimes if I like a game enough I'll watch the price for that sweet period when importing is cheapest then never again -- even when I do this though it tends to languish on my shelf for months or years. Otherwise I just hope I see a used import for cheap on ebay. If that doesn't happen I just wait say 10yrs and play it on an emulator  tongue

Since PS3 is more region free these habits might change for PS3 titles (also because they seem more expensive) ...but I doubt it. I haven't played a game in English in almost a decade, and I'm not sure I'd even want to for some reason. The visuals tend to be bad enough, why suffer the writing too??

Well, yeah, you have a good point in there. People who were attracted by P3, by this point they only know and care about P3 and maybe the upcoming P4 and not the others segments of the franchise, like DDS for example or Devil Summoner.

I thought P3 seemed really different, and probably in a good way. I can see why it would seem like a different franchise. I don't see high hopes for P4. Looks like a quick cash-in to me. Like I said before, the thing that pissed me off most about P3 was using Kazuma's devils. The game was so unique the designs should've been redone, even it meant a third as many Persona. Hell it would've been awesome to just use the P1 designs and mesh them for P3.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:14:57 AM by yksehtniycul »

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »

I'm kind of talking about titles even further back such as Devil Summoner (Saturn/PSP), Soul Hackers, SMT 1 & 2, etc, but I think you got the basic gist of what I was saying.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 02:57:20 PM »
I wonder how much of the general population are really even big enough media fiends to play titles older than they are? I really miss the Megaten community that was built up around the older pre-P2:EP days. It makes me wonder if the draw for most of them was just being in on a really cool series few in the west knew of. Or probably they just got all old and uncaring frown
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 02:59:27 PM by yksehtniycul »

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »
I have kind of wondered that myself. I sometimes wonder if they just got tired of waiting and moved on, or if the post Nocturne releases have just turned a lot of them off.

I have been losing interest with each new title in the series released following Nocturne in the U.S. I had high hopes for the release of DS on PSP, but that fell through.  :sick[1]:

I would be more willing to look past the newer titles if we would occasionally see something that resembled the old SMT titles.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: