DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:59:57 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 4 for ps2 (Read 82758 times)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #90 on: March 26, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »
You know, I'd throw up the argument that SMT was created well before Pokemon, but whatever. I guess for some people 1995 comes before 1992, or 89 if you want to be specific. So, if time was actually followed chronologically, you would say something like "Cuddly SMT monster in a cute setting and they  fit into little balls? Sounds like it sucks"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:37:35 PM by Neao »

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
traci

View Profile Email
traci phones it in,
 « Reply #91 on: March 26, 2008, 07:51:06 PM »
As much as I enjoyed P3 and am starting to look forward to P4; is anyone else thinking: Fuck the  spin-offs, I want an ACTUAL Shin Megami Tensei game.

traci has 97 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heart of Shadows

View Profile Email
Heart of Shadows phones it in,
 « Reply #92 on: March 26, 2008, 10:56:47 PM »
heck yeah but for now I think shin megami tensei 4 belongs to the ps3 so I'am not ready for it to come out.

The comfort of death will come, for men and demons alike...by the guidance of the Great Will.

Heart of Shadows has 25 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
traci

View Profile Email
traci phones it in,
 « Reply #93 on: March 27, 2008, 12:26:04 AM »
perhaps, but the day when a highly anticipated SMT game is released on the ps3, is also the day I go into debt.

traci has 97 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #94 on: March 27, 2008, 12:27:49 AM »
THE PS2 WILL NEVER DIE!!!!

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #95 on: March 27, 2008, 04:04:53 AM »
Quote from: Neao;7200
You know, I'd throw up the argument that SMT was created well before Pokemon, but whatever. I guess for some people 1995 comes before 1992, or 89 if you want to be specific. So, if time was actually followed chronologically, you would say something like "Cuddly SMT monster in a cute setting and they  fit into little balls? Sounds like it sucks"

If you really want to get technical, Megaten started back in 87 with Digital Devil Monogatari Megami Tensei for the Famicom.

My statement wasn't intended to mean that Poket Monsters precluded Megaten in any way, I was just saying that if the demons were designed poorly à la Pokemon I  doubt many would still play Megaten... Which is pretty much the direction the series is taking with the new Persona games in my estimation.  Generally dumbed down, stylistically cookie-cutter, more or less mediocre in terms of game-play, horribly misled score composers, etc. etc.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #96 on: March 27, 2008, 06:21:49 AM »
I thought the Pokemon designs were rather nice. Though by now I've no clue what round they're on / whether there are any wholely original ideas left untapped.

They sure as hell beat the demi-kids or whatever over in the other thread.

I think maybe what scares me most about video game art is its penchent to strive for stylistic uniqueness while no-one has really even proven the ability to be consistantly mediocre in years. Its like trying to run before you can walk. Every production ends up flat on its face esthetically.

Thats fine for amateur comics, but we're talking multi-hundred million dollar operations here. You'd think some one on staff had enough sense to get the job done with a little finess.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:26:03 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Yamiblade

View Profile Email
Yamiblade phones it in,
 « Reply #97 on: March 30, 2008, 05:58:25 PM »
the famitsu trailer was fuckin' awesome!  (just saw it)
I plan on getting it as soon as it was release.  Just like with P3

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:09:24 PM by Yamiblade »

Yamiblade has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #98 on: March 30, 2008, 06:31:48 PM »
Quote from: traci;7201
As much as I enjoyed P3 and am starting to look forward to P4; is anyone else thinking: Fuck the  spin-offs, I want an ACTUAL Shin Megami Tensei game.

I'm thinking, fuck these games, just give me something in a new style. Apparently everything Atlus does anymore is the same tired song and dance (including every other series it juggles)

P3 looked like a promising strain, but P4 looks like rehash with a poor budget.

I'm really sick of the high gloss Kaneko stuff too. Megaten could go in so many directions artistically.

DemonAtmaNizzo

View Profile Email
DemonAtmaNizzo phones it in,
 « Reply #99 on: March 31, 2008, 07:48:01 AM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;7223
I'm thinking, fuck these games, just give me something in a new style. Apparently everything Atlus does anymore is the same tired song and dance (including every other series it juggles)

P3 looked like a promising strain, but P4 looks like rehash with a poor budget.

Hasn't Atlus always been like that? I mean, the primitive SMT battlesystem was rehashed constantly up to Soul Hackers, If... looked exactly the same as SMTII, etc.

DemonAtmaNizzo has 72 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #100 on: March 31, 2008, 08:29:25 AM »
The ye olde SMT gameplay isn't primitive. All I meant was a rehash should be at least as solid as its predecessor. Milking a fanbase is never cool. As for gameplay, don't look at me. I don't play ugly (esthetically ridiculous) games.

DemonAtmaNizzo

View Profile Email
DemonAtmaNizzo phones it in,
 « Reply #101 on: March 31, 2008, 06:24:51 PM »
I really don't think it's fair to compare Persona 3+ with the earlier Persona games as the original Megaten director/producer, Cozy Okada, left after Nocturne, not to mention Kaneko's artwork was only recycled for personas. With a different man at the helm, you can't expect to remain on the same course after all. While I loved the intricate plots of Persona 1 and 2, you have to admit they were pretty damn ugly games for their times and had rather clunky gameplay, especially Persona 1. The simplified story and streamlined battlesystem in Persona 3 bothered me at first, but I found it to be an acquired taste...in fact, very much like most other Megaten games I played. Persona 3 looks like utter crap on paper, it's one of those games that only playing can justify enjoying. Perhaps Persona 4 will be the same.

DemonAtmaNizzo has 72 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #102 on: March 31, 2008, 07:42:59 PM »
I think it's fair to compare games with your opinion, even if there are different people involved with what you're comparing. I mean, most things compared are of things that are made by different people, and choosing not to compare things because of a difference in the minds that worked on them kind of negates many comparisons that have been made. Unless, of course, the comparison is something unfair such as limiting factors of the time like technology, in this case. But your opinion on whether adequate or inadequate effort was put into releases, past or present, different people or the same, is still fair game. Of course, this is a very brief thought on what's fair to compare and what isn't.

As a matter of fact, I enjoyed Persona 2's gameplay and I didn't find it to be clunky. Graphics didn't really bother me either. And, I don't know if you think Persona 2's story was deep (however good it was), but Persona 3 isn't that shallow compared to it. It certainly shouldn't garner contempt at the plot that was laid out. Characters can enhance a plot just as much as an intricate plot can be intriguing and engrossing(although an intriguing and intricate plot with boring characters falls flat). I enjoyed Persona 3's characters, and that amplified the plot for me.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #103 on: March 31, 2008, 08:39:15 PM »
Quote from: DemonAtmaNizzo;7232
While I loved the intricate plots of Persona 1 and 2, you have to admit they were pretty damn ugly games for their times and had rather clunky gameplay, especially Persona 1.

Technically Persona 1, might be the most beautiful specimen of a game ever pulled off. It's gameplay is not too shabby either. Might be the best in the entire enterprise actually. MIP is Atlus' high water mark. MT2 is probably the high water mark of the entire franchise, but that was under the supervision of Namcot at the time. Cave is also doing a remarkable job with IMAGINE, but again, that isn't Atlus at the helm.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #104 on: March 31, 2008, 11:17:31 PM »
I enjoyed a lot Revelations Persona, like yksehtniycul say, the game was not too shabby but it has a good story and something made me play it until I finish it. Now I enjoying P3 a lot, cause I waited so long for this game and finallly I can lay my hands on it. But in my opinion Persona 2 Tsumi and Batsu were the best of its kind, the plot was awesome, the characters have something that keep you want to know more about them, the Persona`s designs were just awesome, the music fits the game.

So in other words, Persona 2, both Tsumi and Batsu are the best in all aspects. Even though I really enjoyed all other Persona games, Tsumi and Batsu always will keep at #1. (but I will add the same thing as always, "just my opinion")

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: