DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:02:26 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiki Discussion (Read 18633 times)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « on: November 27, 2007, 10:19:55 PM »
Quote from: Tony;5797
I think if we to were go ahead with the Wiki idea that would be one of the things it could be used for, definitely. It might be a better setup that just posting things in a thread here, it'd get really cluttered.

Yeah, you´re right it will be a total mess if we post all the items on a thread and don´t follow an order.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Mittens

View Profile Email
Mittens phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;5772
The game doesn't seem solo-able to me, unless you sacrifice a lot to make your char specialized to the task.

The Globe clan has an impressive Wiki in English, which was coming along swimmingly until their people decided to be stingy and not share. I asked for a password, but was denied access. The Japanese wiki is quite nice. I have no problems using it being semi-fluent, but the Globe's wiki had much cleaner and larger resolution graphics, and was better organized and cross referenced in the usual wiki mold.

(Is a member of GlobeLaw and have alt in Globe)

Uh well, we were sharing the Wiki before, but then we got someone who kept telling everybody "how to run the wiki" and basically trying to get us to do this and that so we decided to password the thing. At least, that is what I've heard for the reason why the password was put up.

Er... btw I'm new here. *wave* Um... I'm not edible, please don't eat me. I kick and scratch and uh... can bite back.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:55:39 AM by Mittens »

Mittens has 1 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »
Well, I don't really know too much about the situation, nor have I ever personally visited the Globe Wiki. I mean, if someone tells me it's password protected I'm not going to assume just anyone could walk up and ask for the password lol.

Regardless of who it was or wasn't, having another one probably wouldn't hurt much.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
I added two comments to the wiki's discussion pages. And thoughtfully answered a few questions word for word. All I asked was how can we help, and would it not be better to only have one community wiki for Imagine rather than "The Globe Wiki"? One of the wiki's contributors agreed with the basic sentiment.

One of the wiki's maintaners expressed deep dismay that someone had posted the URL of the wiki in these dddb forums. They said the wiki was strictly private and non-Globe members were not "supposed" to visit it. I simply gave them my professional advice, which was any content on the internet is public unless protected by passcodes, and Google will list any popular page that is not behind passcodes.

After the passcodes were instituted, I asked via email for the entry codes, but was denied.

I can't really comment on the state of mind of the people involved. But from what I understand the whole non-event was catapulted to the height of scandal within the klan itself. I don't think most effected people ever saw the comments, but in their place some form of propoganda appears to have been echoed throughout the klan.

It doesn't really matter, because whether the Globe klan can fire up a wiki or not, they are clearly incapable of managing a public wiki.

Speaking of which, is everyone still excited about an Imagine Wiki?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:06:42 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »
Yes! I think this thread would be better split from the point Tony brings up Wikiness.

So please do before the thread comes back on track again. Or does this forum have a scissor option?

=====================================

Now before I split. Should a wiki be setup, it is probably worthwhile to seek out a 2nd party wiki service provider to setup an external wiki. They might even do so for free, and would probably setup a donation/advertising system for you as well. If you have to rent space, it might not be cheaper, but it might be politically more measured for the wiki to not be a subsection of a Megaten fansite. Unfortunately Imagine's klan system seems to bring out divisiveness in people. Whether your klan is a secret society, or vanilla klan for everyone, or just can't decide what it is -- a public wiki needs to rise above it all.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:21:27 PM by yksehtniycul »

Atltais
забвение

View Profile
Atltais phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:46:13 AM »
A friend and I were working on a general wiki for a while a few months ago, but we wanted to put down some more solid information before making it public. The internet connection I had for most of the semester prevented us from actually working on the wiki, so it's still pretty empty.

Atltais has 3 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 07:57:55 AM »
Well stop teasing, and post your wiki's url already :)

Atltais
забвение

View Profile
Atltais phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 02:35:01 PM »
One nearly empty wiki coming up
http://megaten.theferox.biz

Some things (namely the skills (expert) page) we were a bit liberal in translating because, in my opinion, 'shot' and 'rapid' aren't very good skill names, in any sense of the word (aside from simple transliteration).

But that's pretty much out of my hands now, I guess. :)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:59:56 PM by Atltais »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 11:18:48 PM »
If your host was rock solid stable or a 2nd party wiki service provider, I'd suggest we could maybe cannibalize your wiki :)

But since it doesn't seem that way I guess you are offering to help out :)

The liberal license taking with the names was great! I think once a wiki is setup, it should include romanji translations (perhaps in popup captions if possible) and literal as possible translations as well. Having that on board would let us take whatever liberties can be agreed upon surrounding naming, which can get even more hairy when it comes to Demons for instance.

Btw, I ran into someone yesterday who has the experience to be the Wiki markup team-leader, and did not seem uninterested in helping to spearhead something. I can't really comment, I will try to PM Tony when I get a chance. But just saying, I think we might be onto something here.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 01:04:46 PM by yksehtniycul »

Atltais
забвение

View Profile
Atltais phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 01:39:35 AM »
My host is fairly solid in my opinion, but if it grows to be huge it'd need to be moved off. However, let's not get ahead of ourselves: at this point a larger wiki provider wouldn't be necessary; the english speaking community is tiny. While a wiki running on a Cray XT5 chilling out with a OC-192 hookup would be nice, it's overkill at the moment.

It's not my call to make, however. :) Just offering a bit of help

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 01:17:26 PM »
I dunno, I guess wasn't really speaking to performance, but renting out a decent host can be costly. Not having bandwidth overheads would be important, because it would be nice to have a wiki with intelligible images versus what the Japanese wiki has to offer!

I think the admin here are planning on installing a wiki repository while making a move to another server sometime in the not far away future. I think there would be an advantage to having the wiki on an independent url, but it will be a start -- as long as everyone feels confident about moving stuff around. Personally that always makes me nervous. Even when moving stuff around my own private servers, much less remotely managing everything. Which would be more of a headache than anything I guess as long as you can make sure everything is working on the new host before committing.

You might PM the admin if you are offering to shoulder some of the cost, or are in some convenient situation with more accessible amenities at your disposal.

I think the main objective of a wiki is to help more people feel comfortable playing Imagine. It is a very good game at its core in technical terms. I think the numbers of people who would play it regularly out there are pretty high. They just aren't aware and weary to dig into it.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 01:24:49 PM by yksehtniycul »

DiabloTerrorGF

View Profile Email
DiabloTerrorGF phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 04:09:04 PM »
http://mto.diabolicalsys.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
Our outdated wiki, but I have a newer fusion chart I could put up.

DiabloTerrorGF has 2 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 05:05:43 PM »
Quote from: DiabloTerrorGF;6886
http://mto.diabolicalsys.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
Our outdated wiki, but I have a newer fusion chart I could put up.

This is the Touhou klan's wiki effort right? If you missed it somehow, we have a serious wiki effort starting up here:

http://dbdb.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/

We welcome anyone to register and add content to the main page in whatever format you please for the time being. We have a sophisticated/highly technical layout gameplan underway, but it will take some time to get all our ducks in a row. So feel free to go crazy in the meantime!

You can also setup pages for your klans here:

http://dbdb.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/index.php/DBDB:Central

I'm unable to play Imagine at the moment. So if AG is lurking in here, let him know to PM me!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:48:25 PM by yksehtniycul »

DiabloTerrorGF

View Profile Email
DiabloTerrorGF phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 10:13:33 PM »
*PMs you... later* <_<

also the wiki is locked, even on registered accounts.

DiabloTerrorGF has 2 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »
Quote from: DiabloTerrorGF;6888
*PMs you... later* <_<

also the wiki is locked, even on registered accounts.

Yeah, I approved your account ages ago. It should work now!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: