DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:16:32 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally got Persona 2! Yay! (Read 12718 times)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « on: September 03, 2006, 02:43:12 PM »
Unfortunately, I fell on my PS2 and I won't be able to go on Persona 2 for another week whilst it's being fixed. Dammit.

The case etc is very nice though - this is my first NTSC PS1 game, and all I can say is you Yanks are lucky bastards! :P The inlay, bonus disc and assorted artwork is bloody amazing. I was lucky enough to get the game in pristine condition, and boy does it show. I simply cannot wait to play this game.

Anyway, the point of this thread - backstory on Revelations and Innocent Sin.
Before I go off and search the net for what I can find, can anyone here give me a fairly detailed overview of both games? I want to know as much as I can about the Persona storyline before I play Persona 2. Although I'm trying hard to get Revelations, I don't mind the story being somewhat spoilt and as Innocent Sin was never released outside of Japan, I'll have to know anyway. I have read many reviews of Persoan 2 and most lower the marks due to many references being made to both Revelations and Innocent Sin, so I want to know what I can.

Thank you in advance.

* Thank you very much for putting up that Ghostlight interview, guys! I knew both Megatens out in Europe were underground successes. I may be the only PAL-er here (I think) but thanks much!

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 07:34:53 PM »
Innocent Sin would have been best summarized by the Oracle of Maya and Yoridori.org. Unfortunately it seems to be have been down for a while. If you look for it at archive.org, however, you should be able to find the site on there easily. That has quite a bit about it since it's basically a translation of the title.

Here's a couple of other sites: http://www.chthonian.net/persona/tsumi/
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/3857/gamep2.html

As for the original Persona, the two tie into each other in some ways, but at the same time nothing major is going to happen to you by not knowing the references made in Persona 2.

Persona stuff isn't quite as common, but this site is pretty good for it: http://www.velvet-room.net/

It's been so long since I've played the original that I don't know that I could personally write up something that would really help you out. It's worth playing, though, so good luck on finding it. It's usually somewhat common on eBay.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Fenrir
Cherubim

View Profile Email
Fenrir phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »
Congrats! I myself got it through less legal ways, the same with one > . >
My only excuse for using this (an ISO/Emulator) is becuase the Persona games are too hard to find. Normally, I'd refuse these sorts of things becuase I'd like to donate an honest dollar to game corporations, but I was desperate X - X

Fenrir has 25 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tsunehito
Addictive Epicurean

View Profile Email
mishinaeikichi mishina.eikichi
Tsunehito phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »
Speaking of desperate... The Eternal Punishment I got was just the game disc in a clear plastic case. -.- No Booklet, no, bonuses, nothing! Just a generic GameStop sleeve tossed in a pile. The disgrace! Someday I'll find a complete copy to greedily buy up... or steal, possibly from a small child, just like candy! Yum.

Tsunehito has 72 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
DemonAtmaNizzo

View Profile Email
DemonAtmaNizzo phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 08:14:17 AM »
I'd love to meet the small child that just happens to be carrying around an Atlus game. xD

DemonAtmaNizzo has 72 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:45:58 AM »
"Hey, I'll give you a shiny Pikachu card for all your incredibly rare, hard to find, prisitine copy of Persona:Innocent Sin!"

If only.

I can't believe it. I just went eBay-ing to buy Persona 1 and there are 2 copies there - but only the disc! No artwork or anything! Oh well, one'll pop up in a week I hope. Well, that or Xenosaga 3...but I want Persona more.

I read up those sites, Tony - cheers - and Innocent Sin looked pretty interesting. The reasons for not releasing a NTSC-US Innocent Sin were somewhat lacking though -

"Oh, a homosexual-esque character. We totally can't release this in America. No way, because the sort of people who play MegaTen games are EVIL GAY HATERS."

Call me cynical, but I think they misunderstood their target audience there. I mean, SMT:Nocturne was released without much hassle and that would raise an equal amount of controversy in my eyes (it's pretty obvious which ending is the "proper" wnding).

Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »
I think it was for a lot of reasons.

The gay character thing is overblown, but at the same time it's almost ridiculous how different the gaming industry is just mere years later.

There's also the whole Nazi angle. Maken X used this as well and, as some may realize, all Nazi references were removed from the non-Japanese version of the title. Essentially every single enemy in the game was emblazonzed with swastikas, Nazi uniforms and colors (red, white, black). It wouldn't be odd for this to be the biggest reason of all because, far far moreso than in Maken X, the Nazi idea was intrinsic to the story. In Maken X it was largely just kind of there.

Most of all I think it was just lack of interest. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, despite later interest, was considered an under performer. Atlus doesn't release sales numbers, but anything you could possibly read on the subject gives the strong impression that it didn't even meet their sales expectations. I have to imagine Atlus's are semi-low, particularly back then, so this isn't a good indication that localizing another title is a good idea.

Particularly considering we were nearing the end of the PS1's lifespan in terms of new, quality titles being worthwhile to release at all. Who knows what year that game would have even been ready if they pursued it.

It's unfortunate, but what can you do.

Tsunehito
Addictive Epicurean

View Profile Email
mishinaeikichi mishina.eikichi
Tsunehito phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 11:18:09 PM »
Quote from: DemonAtmaNizzo
I'd love to meet the small child that just happens to be carrying around an Atlus game. xD

Oh, they're out there. They're quick and wiry, easily spooked, and good at camoflaguing themselves; although, I hear if you manage to wrestle the game from their hands without breaking any fingers, they'll grant you a wish. :buh:

Atlus USA doesn't really advertise, do they? I can recall only Square having commericals actually air for Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and now that new Final Fantasy game. But then again I don't really pay much attention, so there has to be more. AUSA doesn't get any exposure for their merchandise. DDS was out for three months before I knew it existed. >.>

Tsunehito has 72 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 08:25:51 AM »
Yeah, my first MegaTen game - Lucifer's Call - was out 3 months before I even heard of it. Atlus seem to want to piss people off. However, the European company for DDS - Ghostlight -  are pretty awesome and the advertising for DDS was pretty good.

I just bought Persona Revelations as well. It's my university money, but.....I REALLY WANT IT! Oh well. It's coming from Canada (they're usually pretty good at posting) so it'll take around 2-3 weeks. I don't really mind, at least it's coming. It's a disc in a blank case job (why do people keep the booklet and cover? I know some lose it, but I get the feeling some people "collect" them. But what's the point of keeping the bits to a game you're going to sell?) so I'm going to print off my own cover (I know what the Revelations cover looks like) and might make my own little booklet. I have a lot of spare time on my hands :buh:

Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 06:58:42 PM »
Atlus does magazine ads up to the release of their titles, but beyond that not too much is spent on them. On their forums, Vyers (who works for Atlus) has mentioned that the recent SMT games have all done well for them... the company is definitely on the increase in general as far as fan exposure goes. I think they're to the point where they can meet their expectations for their, generally, niche titles without a HUGE marketing push.

I mean, really, I don't know that commercials were necessary for a company of their type. DQVIII was pushed pretty heavily and just four months later I was finding it for $20 new. It doesn't always help.

Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 08:11:54 PM »
It's not really the "let's sell this game!" for me. I know if I had seen a Call full page ad in a PS2 magazine, I would've been very interested. Actually, I first laid eyes on Call on Amazon, where I first mistook it for a platformer (?). It's just annoying that due to the lack of publicity, I missed out on the initial reviews on the game etc.

And yes, DQ is...pretty awful. Much like Unlimited Saga, the price has dropped quite rapidly over here as well.

Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 09:30:01 PM »
I don't know, I thought DQVIII was a pretty excellent game. I think all of the SaGa games are just plain awful though... that's another story for another thread, I suppose lol.

DemonAtmaNizzo

View Profile Email
DemonAtmaNizzo phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 04:38:02 PM »
Yeah, the only SaGa game I've ever enjoyed is SaGa Frontier 2, and that was mostly just for its pretty hand-painted graphics.

DemonAtmaNizzo has 72 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 02:49:11 PM »
I liked Atelier Iris (the original) and Star Ocean 2 for hand-painted sprites. I've seen Saga Frontier 2 but I hear it's like Unlimited - you'll either be part of the minority who love but will most likely hate it.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: