DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:55:21 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This business of Google (Read 18469 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: September 16, 2009, 04:52:22 AM »
Well...

I happened to find a screenshot of what the old Google sidebar looked like. So I'm thinking it might be more creative to instead of just making a page about the badness of Google... why not just fill the sidebar with lots of interesting information about Google? aroused

Basically the damage Google has done to this website (from what we had) warrants a thorough ripping I think. On one hand it feels a little not right to use a Megaten fansite to fight back at Google, but on the other hand this is personal, and it seems totally cool. Besides their is a huge whole on the front page that needs to be filled with something smokin

This can also be an opportunity to let readers know why the website is in the state it's in (on top of an update blog post which is really overdue)

Whatever future there is for this website, it's going to have to get by without Google. Afaik Google might have blacklisted the domain name for ever.

I've been trying like mad to install YaCy somewhere where it can crawl the site and others. But I've been having zero luck with it, even though it seems like a good little project that others seem to be using... but obviously the code is just not up to snuff. Otherwise I got nothing that can compete with Google. I learned today that Wikia bought/is the current owner of Grub (which is the only other p2p crawler effort in town) and apparently uses it to index their website. Wikia is also a mortal enemy of the digitaldevildb.com since we had to relinquish the Megami Tensei Wiki from it's grip. Anyway, from first hand experience, Wikia is not a good place. I've since come across many communities still sore from getting caught up in Wikia's web. In fact in all my years, almost all big name internet sites with "customer" relations are bad apples. It's going to take a while to clean up the internet.

PS: Oh yeah, for the record I have uploaded a placeholder image where the Google sidebar used to be on the front page. I guess I need to start pulling out all the ad fetching code around the website...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:56:21 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 04:43:04 AM »
I did a pretty good job replicating the look/feel of the Google sidebar (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/)

I like it/think it's creative. And I'm just getting warmed up smokin

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:05:29 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:20 AM »
More Google bashing (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/search/#comment-5216) at your service.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:01:51 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »
Alright! I think I finally have a possible alternative to Google on the search front:

[I decided to remove this link to avoid attracting spammers to the url which will be included server side in the future]

Go ahead and try that link. This is basically a home Google I was able to setup thanks to YaCy. If all pans out, in not too long I can make the website search bar fetch these results and format them too look like they belong on the website like the wiki pages.

PS: Hopefully it will be faster after I slow down the crawler a little (right now it's building an initial index)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:48:23 AM by yksehtniycul »

Jessicat
Cat In A Dragon Suit

FemaleView Profile WWW
Dragon Fanatic
Jessicat phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »
Alright! I think I finally have a possible alternative to Google on the search front:

[I decided to remove this link to avoid attracting spammers to the url which will be included server side in the future]

Go ahead and try that link. This is basically a home Google I was able to setup thanks to YaCy. If all pans out, in not too long I can make the website search bar fetch these results and format them too look like they belong on the website like the wiki pages.

PS: Hopefully it will be faster after I slow down the crawler a little (right now it's building an initial index)
Ooh, that looks really good! It's nice to see we have a reliable search alternative now :D [and sorry I'm not to helpful with this sort of thing ^^;]

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:49:26 AM by yksehtniycul »

The gate is open; it's time to raise some Hell!

Jessicat has 181 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 08:19:11 AM »
I'm going to have to delete everything (start over) once I figure out the right regex to keep the i18n pages (foreign language duplicates) out the index. This technology is fairly state-of-the-art, or at least it's an application with no other alternatives other than Grub (now owned by Wikia -- and not to be confused with GRUB!) ...so I'm having to work fairly closely with the development/early adopter community, which unfortunately is almost entirely German.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:25:17 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:33:35 AM »
The present webhost is firewalling all the ports normally allowed by commercial ISPs. So there's no way to access the YaCy server until we lease a new webhost. This development will probably speed up that eventuality.

We don't have to necessarily move the website immediately to the new host. It should be possible to request the YaCy search results from the new webhost, which would then in turn request the results from the YaCy server, then get back to this (present) host with your search results.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: