DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:47:58 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese (Read 11900 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: March 09, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »
I added a simplified Chinese translation capability, and gave wofzau translation privileges for this page:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/maintenance/locales/zh/

WordPress doesn't seem to have a "Complex" Chinese localization. That's not to say it could not be done, but it would have to be done from scratch. I don't care if articles are written in traditional Chinese, but then I don't know the first thing about how the two "modes" are employed online. I'd assume Simplified is an attempt to bridge different languages and dialects, but for all I know it could just be to make reading/writing easier. Likewise I've no idea whether or not the two may be mixed. What to do is up to the Chinese capable crew rainbow

PS: I'll try to churn out a flag icon as soon as someone wants to translate an article. In the meantime it's probably makes more sense to get most of the interface translated first. Speaking of which I still have not gotten around to making the entire interface translatable, but at least more than 70% is marked up / hacked together (shouldn't that be an oxmoron??)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:39:13 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »
Oh yeah, that link^ is not part of the public site proper. So I haven't busted my ass to make it backwards compatible with older browsers. So I recommend Firefox3, Google Chrome, and probably Safari. Anything else will probably be unusable sweatdrop

Also, if it isn't obvious... you don't have to commit one phrase at a time, nor do you need to "compile" each field you enter. That is you just need to compile/commit when you're finished. It's no big deal if you just translate one phrase (for a quick fix) ...but it does generate a number of fairly large files on the server every revision.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:47:06 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »
I cleaned a lot of crap out of the Chinese translation files... so now the task should appear much less intimidating tongue

Good thing I noticed it before any translation work was done, or the work would've been lost (sans crap) frown

Anyway, this page (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/maintenance/locales/zh/) should be much shorter now smokin

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »
Sorry, also just realized one of the Chinese temporary files did not have write access privileges doh

It should work now (in case you tried before and it didn't)

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:42:06 AM »
While I was thinking about making the scrollbar for the double wide manga pages start on the right (for reading right to left) it occurred to me it should not be difficult to make the website read right to left for languages which do so...

That would be appropriate for Hebrew and Arabic I think, but I wonder if Chinese should as well? Basically it's traditional to read Chinese right to left I think but my guess is the Chinese internet tends to read left to right. So I'd like your's (and other's) opinion.

On the other hand, webkit browsers (eg. Safari and Google Chrome) seem to have a number of bugs with right to left browsing (which prevented me from using rtl mode with the manga gallery) so either way it would be an expiriment.

wolfzau
Translator

MaleView Profile Email
Remember that you are mortal
wolfzau phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 05:24:10 AM »
Most Chinese webpages these days read left to right so there shouldn't be a problem leaving as is I don't think

wolfzau has 32 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: