DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:10:12 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rant: SMT: Imagine (US) translation (Read 16334 times)
Maverynthia
Bishie Demon Hunter

View Profile
Maverynthia phones it in,
 « on: January 15, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »
I hope I can vent a little steam here with a rant, maybe others feel the same way.

Aeria has decided to 'mis'translate SMT:I and use the "Atlus Canon" instead of doing a proper job, so you have things like "Tyrant" for "Great Demon King (Daimaou)" and "Pyro Jack" for "Jack Lantern". Exactly what MANY people said they didn't want. ARRRGGHH! I'm wonder if there is any way the TRUE fans can do anything to convince them that doing a crappy job is bad. mad

Maverynthia has 52 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:13 AM »
Damn! >_<

Too bad sick Anyway! I'll kep playing the Japanese version xd nah! I don't even have time to play IMAGINE these days frown

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:05:34 PM by Emilio Morales »

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 03:04:04 PM »
Well obviously Aeria, Atlus USA, CAVE, and Atlus (Co. Ltd.) have a coalition going on. It's nothing new really, but it's too bad CAVE couldn't have used the opportunity to do a better translation... if also makes you wonder why the hell the Atlus USA people just weren't brought in to translate stuff in the first place (rather than forcing kids to)

Fans can always do their own translations the way we do here. Personally that is why I don't play the translated games in the first place, but that's just my thing. Btw, in the future we'll also offer our users the ability to translate our content into any language they please.

Since I've been tasked with organizing this site, I've noticed more and more the conflict of interest that arises when corporate/publisher sites try to maintain their own social web pages. I really don't think it's healthy or appropriate for fans to socialize on Aeria and Atlus USA boards in the first place -- healthy for the community/internet that is. Not to say we don't enjoy the products but it's obvious the way institutions like this manipulate the social activity... even on Gamefaqs boards speech and activity is very limited (players shouldn't use Gamefaqs anyway in my opinion unless a game is so unpopular there is no other place to go)

PS: They know Pyro Jack is bad, but changing it admits that it is/was a bad decision, and that is where the problem is. I guess what makes me angrier, is it's pretty hard to not notice that every devil in a Megaten game is based on something, so the idea of pulling some name out of their ass should never had been an option in the first place. I don't mind it as much with Revelations: Persona, because all the names were changed, but to just do it to Jack'o'lantern (a mascot no less) seems really bizarre... perhaps it is because he's sort of a mascot his name is even less likely to be corrected (curiously enough his name was Jack'O in P1)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:11:30 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Maverynthia
Bishie Demon Hunter

View Profile
 « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:11:53 AM »
Well obviously Aeria, Atlus USA, CAVE, and Atlus (Co. Ltd.) have a coalition going on. It's nothing new really, but it's too bad CAVE couldn't have used the opportunity to do a better translation... if also makes you wonder why the hell the Atlus USA people just weren't brought in to translate stuff in the first place (rather than forcing kids to)

But if kids were brought in to do it...why are they falling back on the bad ATLUS USA translations and marking them as canon?

Fans can always do their own translations the way we do here. Personally that is why I don't play the translated games in the first place, but that's just my thing. Btw, in the future we'll also offer our users the ability to translate our content into any language they please.

Unfortunately I don't read enough Japanese to get by in the game. I guess it's a double-edged sword.

Since I've been tasked with organizing this site, I've noticed more and more the conflict of interest that arises when corporate/publisher sites try to maintain their own social web pages. I really don't think it's healthy or appropriate for fans to socialize on Aeria and Atlus USA boards in the first place -- healthy for the community/internet that is. Not to say we don't enjoy the products but it's obvious the way institutions like this manipulate the social activity... even on Gamefaqs boards speech and activity is very limited (players shouldn't use Gamefaqs anyway in my opinion unless a game is so unpopular there is no other place to go)

I don't think so either, all the posts that are for the "pure" translation get locked and deleted and people get banned for pointing out flaws in their "flawless perfect" translation. I just wish people would wake up and demand a better product instead of doing the xenophobic thing.

PS: They know Pyro Jack is bad, but changing it admits that it is/was a bad decision, and that is where the problem is. I guess what makes me angrier, is it's pretty hard to not notice that every devil in a Megaten game is based on something, so the idea of pulling some name out of their ass should never had been an option in the first place. I don't mind it as much with Revelations: Persona, because all the names were changed, but to just do it to Jack'o'lantern (a mascot no less) seems really bizarre... perhaps it is because he's sort of a mascot his name is even less likely to be corrected (curiously enough his name was Jack'O in P1)

Well I hear in one of the game they went with Jack 'O Lantern and in others Pyro Jack... one person brought this up and is urging them to use Jack o Lantern as it fits better with Jack Frost for the Jack Bros. It'd be a nightmare if they have Santa Lantern and Santa Frost to deal with...Pyro Santa?

I think it's about time they admit their errors and fix them. As for the Persona game..that was butchered to all hell and back in the first place and is a testament to how BAD ATLUS can be.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:26:58 AM by Maverynthia »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »
I still say Jack O' is a fine monosyllabic sub-mascot name.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Maverynthia
Bishie Demon Hunter

View Profile
 « Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:28:10 AM »
I also found out it says in the Will-o-wisp info that Jack-O-Lanterns came from the Will-o-wisp .... Yes JACK-O-LANTERNS, so why muck up mythology?

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: