DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:04:51 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: obscure Japanese games (Read 10978 times)
Matyu

View Profile WWW Email
Matyu phones it in,
 « on: March 31, 2007, 05:38:50 AM »
I will be leaving Japan in a few months, so I would like know if you have any suggestions of Japanese ps1 and ps2 non-mainstream games that I should buy while I'm in Japan.

I'm especially a fan of dungeon crawlers, hardcore rpgs and cyberpunk style games, but anything is fine.  Well, maybe except pachinko games and dating simulations, unless you know a really exceptional one.

thanks

Matyu has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
minotaurus
Persona User

View Profile Email
minotaurus phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 10:18:02 AM »
Well the only one i can advise you is Shin megami tensei series , Of course including personas !!! I love them!!! And I am really jellous!! Anyway  BUY persona 3 ,2 dvd box because i think you'll get the official backpack and other presents.

minotaurus has 43 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Matyu

View Profile WWW Email
Matyu phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 02:22:50 PM »
I already bought most ps1 and ps2 megaten games. I still haven't found Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Soul Hackers tho. SMT 2 is kinda expensive, but I'll buy it eventually.

I was thinking about buying those ps2 Wizardry games. Have anyone played them?

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 04:52:29 PM »
Quote from: Matyu;2575
I already bought most ps1 and ps2 megaten games. I still haven't found Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Soul Hackers tho. SMT 2 is kinda expensive, but I'll buy it eventually.

I was thinking about buying those ps2 Wizardry games. Have anyone played them?

If you're looking for a good game to buy, of course besides megaten games, a RPG game called Namco x Capcom, if you know about street fighter, strider, tekken, captain commando and so on.. This is a good game, if you like rpg of course!! And buy all the anime and manga you can while you stay in Japan.

Oh man! I want to travel to Japan too...

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:59:29 PM »
I have it on good word that Namco X Capcom is horrible.

Purchase Mother 3 for GBA.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 12:40:48 AM »
Quote from: Stack Bundles;2587
Purchase Mother 3 for GBA.

I second this motion. This should be purchased. It has good music, too.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 12:44:33 AM by Heat »

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:17:47 AM »
I have a ton of suggestions, but I really don't think any of them fall into your genre / taste preferences.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Matyu

View Profile WWW Email
Matyu phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 01:53:27 AM »
Quote from: Emilio Morales;2585
If you're looking for a good game to buy, of course besides megaten games, a RPG game called Namco x Capcom, if you know about street fighter, strider, tekken, captain commando and so on.. This is a good game, if you like rpg of course!! And buy all the anime and manga you can while you stay in Japan.

Oh man! I want to travel to Japan too...

If I find a cheap used copy of Namco x Capcom, I'll give it a try. I won't buy any anime and music cds in japan, because they are extremely expensive. 50$ for 1 dvd and 30$ for a cd is crazy...

Kakizaki, I would like to hear your suggestions. I'm open to anything.

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 09:12:16 AM »
Zanac X Zanac - Excellent shooter (not FPS, but a vertically scrolling shooter). Includes the original Zanac and a new title (for 2001 that is) Zanac Neo.

Gunner's Heaven - not really rare or obscure, but neat. Kind of a copy of Gunstar Heroes minus the 2 player option. It was handled by Media Vision I believe. If you are familiar with Wild Arms, there are references to GH present in the WA titles.

Panzer Bandit - Banpresto published clone of Guardian Heroes, but with only two planes of movement depth.

Popolocrois 1&2 - Charming rpgs, and if you like sprites, these titles are quite attractive.  The PSP version attempted to combine both but cut out a lot of material in the process.

None of these are really too obscure, but they are mentioned too frequently here. Let me know if these interest you. I have plenty more.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: