DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:01:25 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII (Read 42970 times)
Gouto-Douji
Assassin

View Profile Email
Gouto-Douji phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »
for some reason it made me angry when i saw pictures of FFXIII and XII isn't even out yet, they should focus on whats coming out soon, not whats coming out in a year. i bet they are going to realease XV before XIV...

Those who believe in God are foolish. Those who do not are reckless.

Gouto-Douji has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 09:47:35 AM »
The series just needs to...die already. How many do they plan to make anyway? One thousand? >_>;

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
Quote from: Argilla;1682
The series just needs to...die already. How many do they plan to make anyway? One thousand? >_>;

As many as it takes till the money stops flowing. Although, I'll admit, I still like these games.;p

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 05:34:38 PM »
The Final Fantasy series, are good games, but since FF X I began to be dissapointed, because the game has not the same impact such as FFVII and FFVIII. The monster become so repetitive and the story was not as good as other FF. For me the best FF game was FFVIII (in story, characters, and a lot more).

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »
Now is that FFX I as in the first FF10, or FF11?

Anyway, the series went downhill starting with VII.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »
^ Except for XII ;) ..... and maybe IX.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 08:08:35 PM »
Tactics is my most favorite Final Fantasy game.

Apparently XIII is only 13% complete and XIII Versus is 1.3% complete.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
 « Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Quote from: Kakizaki;3554
^ Except for XII ;) ..... and maybe IX.

Definitely except for XII. Never played IX.

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 08:17:08 PM »
^Well, I wasn't counting Tactics, but I also enjoy the original Tactics quite a bit. Okay how about this; everything from VII on, except when Yasumi Matsuno is involved (excluding FFTA) and maybe IX, sucks. ;)

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
 « Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »
I can agree with that totally.

<3 Yasumi Matsuno.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 10:08:22 PM »
Quote from: aerozero;3555
Tactics is my most favorite Final Fantasy game.

Man I totally forget about Tactics, that was another good FF game, I guess when this series goes to the best, occurs from FFVII, FF Tactics and FFVIII for the ps1. But in the case of other consoles, I think the worst game of FF was Crystal Crhronicles and one of the best was the first FF for the nes. And the other FF games were pretty good.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
Most likely just an I, and not FFXI.
I have to disagree as well that the series went downhill. Although 4,5 and 6 were awesome, I enjoyed 7,8,9,10 and 12 more. The reason could be that those were my first RPGs(not 10 and 12, those came later), and I played the earlier ones later. Regardless, even if I was to replay them, which for sure I will in the years to come, I would still like the later Final Fantasies more. The only FF I did not like was 2, which I stopped an hour in. Nothing in it grabbed me and I was just bored shitless. I haven't played 3 yet, so no comment on that.

Otherwise, FF13 looks like what you'd expect from SE. I have a feeling it'll just be decent and nothing extraordinary. That is all my guess on the other version. I don't know which version is which, but I just get a bad feeling about the action one. As, with Dirge of Cerberus, I really can't believe that SE can pull off a good action game. Unless someone knows of an action game that SE made that is really good.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 09:28:06 PM »
One thing that pisses me off about the latest FFs is the art style. The first FFs were your basic sprite-y RPGs on the SNES etc. I've played the PSone versions and they're quite nice. FF6 for me, is my favourite of the 2D generation. Then FF went to 3D and FF7 came about. The game had a really dirty, cyber-punkish vibe with its machinery, slums, super-spikey hair etc. The art style reminds me of manga and the harsh lines in the original artwork really correlate well with the themes and look of the game.

Then came FF8 - my all-time FF favourite - with it's more futuristic setting, very realistic characters and a full-blown love story. Although some hated it, others loved it and the style of the game is reminiscient of a fairytale set in some modern world. A brilliant game.

FF9 was next - the last of the PSone FF generation - and went back to basics. Something similar to the Job system was introduced to the characters (certain characters could steal, others cast Black/Blue/White magic etc) and the art style this time was quite cutesy and the models for characters were slightly deformed - almost chibi (well a little).
 So far, the PSone generation of FFs have all had different styles of art, design and such. Here's where FF started going downhill for me.

FF10 was released on the PS2 with a very similar character look to the models - it was as if FF8 had hopped to next gen. The game was....lacking in my opinion with the worst level up concept ever (I hate the bloody Sphere Grid). The lead was rather whiney and the love between the two leads never really reached that space scene in FF8.

After this a long time went by without a FF appearing on the PS2 (nope, I'm not counting X-2) and then FF12 was announced. I was already disappointed by FF11 being online and all, and other games had come out in FFs absence - Shadow Hearts, Lucifer's Call, Suikoden 4/5 - and then FF12 came out.

It's possibly the most disappointing and one of the biggest missed oppurtunities I've ever seen in a game.

First off, the art style - again - was of realism. After three generations of FFs having very different styles and the latest ones being rather similar, I was slightly disappointed to see it again. Ashe looks like Yuna in a punkier outfit and Vaan is Tidus with a haircut. However, Balthier and Fran looked like interesting characters. Ample character depth and development right? Hell no.
 Each character has very little character developement. Vaan is an orphan and hates the Empire (FF2). Ashe is a princess wants to reclaim her throne (FF9). The story is outlined to you in the first city (destroy the...can you guess?...Empire). The bad guy is obvious because he has long hair (I'm suprised it wasn't bloody SILVER - Kuja/Sephiroth/Organisation XIII) and is delightfully English (yawn). I can't ever remember finding out why he was so anxious to take over the world/Rabanastre.
 Plus, talk about missed opportunities. Example - there is a scene in Eruyt Village where Vaan asks Fran how old she is. She's a Viera so she lives much longer than humans do. An excellent moment for diving into this so far obscure character's history, here in her home village, right? Wrong. She huffs and walks off, whilst Balthier says that Vaan has offended her. Nothing important is ever mentioned about her again.

What?

Balthier has one little bit of development on the Phon Coast where you find out - gasp - [SPOILER]that his father is Cid[/SPOILER]. I mean, it's not exactly terribly original or very exciting. When I buy a FF, I want a skillfully woven story with twists and turns, various character sub-plots and the like. Not a save-the-world story and nothing else. I mean, nearly every RPG has a save-the-world plotline in there somewhere. It's how to hide it - Lucifer's Call gave you multiple endings, Shadow Hearts 2 [SPOILER]had Yuri killing himself to save his soul and the world he wanted with Alice[/SPOILER] and Tales of Symphonia's world saving was to create a world out of two split ones where people wouldn't discriminate against those who are different. All saving-the-world plots, but all have important, often very emotional sub-plots surrounding them. The end video of Shadow Hearts 3 made me cry for God's sake.

FF12 has no such luck - the character's are shallow (one word - Penelo) and therefore I didn't give a damn about their plight. The Empire - when I went there - was an alright place. Slightly snotty, but not exactly the black pits of hell I was led to believe it was. Why was it so important to stop them from taking over? Because of Nethicite or Nabudis? It sounds harsh, but in an RPG, levelling a town seemingly already ruined in the intro video the player has never been to isn't really enough to push me to kill the Empire - or rather one or two figures within it. Sure Vaine's a bastard but he's not exactly evil. He's not exactly Luca Blight.

Phew. Sorry for such a long post. With a lot of reviews online saying FF12 is the best thing since sex is rather annoying and I needed to rant at it a bit. It's that bloody Yiazmat I swear : D.

The point of that long-winded post? FF13 looks exactly the same but with an action twist. The characters have that SE "look" and, well - SE. Doing an action game. *sigh*

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:31:38 PM by Lycanthroat »

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 11:38:02 AM »
I've pretty much read what Lycanthroat said about 12,and..I'm one of the few,that doesn't think 12,is All that great.

I would have to agree with them on what they pointed out,the story didn't really excite me...it was pretty much the same as every other RPG.I didn't have any problems with the gameplay,but it was more of...that it was the characters that really didn't get me hooked into it..only one character I really liked was Balthier with his phrases and lines,Vaan wasn't too bad...but he was,just there most of the time.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »
One of the few? I have never seen an FF garner as much of a split between the fanbase as much as XII.

FFXIII looks like crap. FFXII is my last FF.

Himuro has 151 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: