DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:46:38 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Homebrew? (Read 11840 times)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « on: August 13, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »
(I had a look through the rules and I think I'm allowed to talk about this)

Basically, I want to know what it is. Is it an emulator or something else?
I've just found out that Sony will make me pay £450 for a console I don't want right now to download old PS1 games off their (incredibly limited) list, which they will also make me pay for (even though I own the games). I would like to know what an emulator is also (I know what it does, but naught else). I've been looking for one for ages but they're all so damn complicated >.< so I need some help.

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:57:22 AM »
I'm never sure how to address a lot of this because as far as I'm aware the actual emulators and such are not illegal, nor would any freeware stuff be illegal. The problem is that a lot of these things are used so people can play things they do not own, obviously, and "hacking" a PSP to allow this stuff is probably not exactly legitimate either.

Homebrew is just a generic container term. It's like "home made". It can contain anything, really, from emulators, to hacks, to actual games.

So some (if not most) of the homebrew on the PSP involves emulating other systems. You first have to change the firmware on your PSP to even allow this sort of stuff, then you have to set up the software. All of this requires some access to your memory stick on your PC.

That's kind of the super basic idea, but there's entire sites dedicated to that sort of stuff that shouldn't be hard too find.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »
Yeah, I've found a good one and I'm waiting for my registration email.

I own all the games I want on PSP (PSone games, mostly rare RPGs), I just need the emulator itself. I don't think that's illegal - it's illegal if you own the ROMs but not the games themselves.
I think homebrew is where you change the skins and all that on your PSP, but I think it encompasses everything as you said. What worrys me is the upgrading/downgrading stuff. I have a V3.40 PSP at the moment and it would be annoying if I had to buy a special game (Lumines apparently) to be able to downgrade, upgrade and have the OE.

It's all so confusing....frown

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »
Yeah, you have to downgrade and upgrade to a custom firmware to get access to homebrew, but it is well worth it. Your PSP can do a lot more then it was originally designed for.

Helpful links:

Downgrading Stuff, MAKE SURE YOU READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY
http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about32989.html

Custom Firmware Easy Installer Go with 3.52 M33 for 1.50
http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about58272.html

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »
NB aerozero, just reminding you - the PSX games I want are all PAL region.

FF7
Star Ocean - The Second Story
The Legend of Dragon

Do the regions matter? I wouldn't think so as the PSP is region-free. Just checking.

Also, could you tell me what you've got happening on your PSP? I assume it's homebrewed. I just wanna know what the homebrew is capable of (I know, but from a persons perspective).

OK - I'm just warning you I might hafta be led by hand through this, but I'll try my utmost.

My PSP is V3.40.

And.....dammit. A brick wall. I don't own Lumines.

Edit: I'm downloading V3.50 now so it'll just be easier when I do get Lumines. Plus it's something to do in the meantime >.<

Edit No.2: Phew. Reading up on this is hard work. aerozero, I've read up on everything I can and I'm pretty sure what to do. The problem is....why do I need Lumines? I read Dark Alex's step by step (amazing guy) but he doesn't say what I actually do with Lumines. Help?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 01:59:28 PM by Lycanthroat »

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:19:11 PM »
http://www.calo-hacks.com/3.50downgrader.html

Download the file here and read the README for full instructions, I believe you boot up Lumines and then the downgrader activates from there I think. You need the right copy of Lumines though, unfortunately they are going at a pretty high price online and Sony has released patched ones onto the market as well.  

With the custom firmware you can:

1. Emulate a whole bunch of systems as Tony mentioned, the big one being the official PSX emulator (FFVII, IX, Persona: Revelations, run at full speed). I dunno much about PAL PSX games compatibility, some converters apply fixes but I'm not sure how effective they are. You might have to download NTSC versions of your games to play them...

2. Someone just released a working program that let's you watch Youtube videos on the PSP.

3. Take screenshots and listen to music while playing your Games

4. You can set the processor speed to 333mhz for all games to improve loading times and frame rates.

5. Full brightness is unlocked, you don't need to plug the PSP into an outlet to use it.

6. PDF, txt reader

7. ISO loader, rip your own games and play it from the memory stick, it saves a lot of battery power and loads games a lot faster then UMD Drive

8. Homebrew games and applications (Someone made a Geometry Wars port for the PSP, a Paper Mario styled remake of the 1st level of the 1st Mario game, better picture viewer, etc.)

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 04:06:30 PM »
I definently heard about this, but never really wanted to try it. The idea of playing all my favorite PS1 RPGs on the PSP excited me, but it seemed too complicated.

So, I need the correct version of Lumines to downgrade? My version is 3.52=/

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:25:14 PM by Neao »

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »
I've read that Lumines IS the game you need, regardless of copy (although I'm gonna buy a pre-owned copy to save money). It's a "particular" GTA game that you need so you might have mixed those up, aero.

Plus, Lumines in the UK is common king

I'm pretty OK with what I've read - my one fear is bricking. It's a 0.00001% chance of happening but I'm still worried. I'm going to stick to the step-by-step guide like glue. I don't wanna mess around with Flash anyway.

Thanks for your help, aero. Really appreciate it - when this is done, then every Sony console I will have ever owned will have been modded in some way. Serves 'em right.

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 11:01:28 PM »
No, there have reports of Sony releasing a patched version of Lumines, and I'm not sure if the PAL version of Lumines works with the downgrader, so you might want to check that out before you do it.

@Neao, unfortunately I think you're screwed for now, downgraders are only up to 3.50

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 01:58:50 AM »
Doesn't really matter to me, I didn't even have intentions to mess with my PSP until this thread popped up.:P I use my PSP for games I buy for it, so whatever.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:49:14 PM »
Aha! Lumines ULES-00043 (the exact version I need) is a thriving market on eBay, so everything's good.

aero - Remember there are no "PAL" or "NTSC" PSP games (I only said my PSone games were PAL) - whether it be upgrading or downgrading, the only important thing you need is that Lumines (I think). There's loads of Lumines being sold on eBay with easy guide CDs as well for as little as £20 (quite a good price - around $15).

Now I just need money. Oh well, as long as I know where the links are (I've bookmarked everything) it should be fine.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 05:11:07 PM »
Yay! I'm a proud 3.52 M33-4 user and not regretting it.

Thanks for all your help, people. Truly appreciated.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: