DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:50:02 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: I18N (internationalization) (Read 63394 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: January 09, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »
I see your About page work now. I made some technical changes, but I need you to fix some stuff.

I'd thought you hadn't underlined anything, but I noticed there are tags like these in your post...

<p style="justify;">Bienvenidos a Digital Devil Database, un sitio de fans para todos tus necesidades de MegaTen. ¿Qué es MegaTen? bueno, es una forma corta de <span style="underline;">

If you know, I'd like to know where <p style="justify;"> and <span style="underline;"> are coming from. I don't think that is legal syntax at all, but if so it isn't showing up in the post preview. The actual html has the justify; and underline; taken out, so it's just style="".

At any rate, for our purposes, we just need <p> for paragraphs and <u> for underlining. If you're still using the Visual Editor, I wish you wouldn't. We really don't need anything tricky in our articles, and learning to use the html should be easier than%2

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:38:37 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »
The whole site will be in different languages?

I can help with Spanish. wink

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »
Yes it will sflower

edited: Spanish is an ideal place to start...

I have other stuff site related I'm working on, but if you want you can go ahead an make personal notes for translating stuff on the pages, and translate any articles you particularly like or feel up to.

Btw, let's not worry about the BBS part of the site for now ok.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:56:13 PM by yksehtniycul »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:52:31 PM »
Cool! I'll start working as soon as I can!  smile

Btw, only the pages that are on the new layout, not the Tony's ones right? Or everything I can put my hands on and translate?

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »
Cool! I'll start working as soon as I can!  smile

Btw, only the pages that are on the new layout, not the Tony's ones right? Or everything I can put my hands on and translate?

Well, yeah... just the ones on the main website... though we're trying to move/copy what we can of Tony's stuff obviously. Specifically regarding the "Archives", Tony's old website, we can't translate that stuff (so basically that part of the website will always be English only)

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »
I have some test layouts for multilingual stuff up on the front page. I could ask how everyone likes it, but honestly this is pretty much the only way I can fathom to work with the current established schema so far.

All available interface languages will be across the top in native writing (if it overflows some kinda of scrolling system will be necessary)

Flags are beside the post to let you know what languages are available and to change languages on the fly. I'll probably try to setup a Javascript system for switching out posts on the fly. That will also make it easier to make sure everything is in order as well. For pages a refresh will be necessary (unless I setup some Ajax stuff like I did for the Persona database)

Once registered / logged in the top margin language options will go away unless you want them.

I chose the UN flag just to indicate internationalization (also because it happens to fit in with the colour scheme nicely)

Please tell me how much you like it sweatdrop

PS: Also added some Frosty icons to make sure everyone realizes the images are clickable. Once the Media Library page is up, I'm thinking images will be given a grey frame which will include a magnifying glass icon and other stuff.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
I went ahead and threw some Spanish stuff up for demonstration only. I'll probably take it down in a few days unless I get a Spanish interface up in the meantime.

If there's any complaint about a particular flag not being representative of a language, I'll toss up all the language speaking countries flags to the side on hover.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:53:53 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
I've spent the better half of the afternoon hacking away at WordPress and I think we have a fairly tight internationalization framework in place sweatdrop

The major prob (besides the fact as usual WordPress really wasn't built with this in mind) is there are no suitable solutions which do international content while consistently using distinct urls (WHICH IS SOOOOO VERY IMPORTANT IT'S BASICALLY SACRILEGE NOT TO doh)

I'm going to give myself a couple days to convince myself there are no duplicate content pages (same url diff content -- in this case languages no less)

Basically if the url is ever the same we can't use caching, and Google and friends will have no way to practically index the website.

I'm going to have to go thru every printed text in our themes... so I reckon we might as well start there (actual translation will be up to Emilio)

The international friendly default theme should've been installed by default, but it was not. And I've done so much customization I'd rather just backport the themes as they are than start from scratch and try to account for all the changes (I don't document theme changes either)

At any rate, in a couple days there will be a Spanish website, half translated or not. Fortunately all the stock WordPress stuff is already translated for us goodnight

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 11:36:34 PM »
OK so, I just need to translate the pages on the main site, not the Tony's ones, in other words, the "news" right? And another question, do I translate them on a new entry in wordpress or do I post the translation here?  redface

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »
OK so, I just need to translate the pages on the main site, not the Tony's ones, in other words, the "news" right? And another question, do I translate them on a new entry in wordpress or do I post the translation here?  redface

First we'll focus on translating stuff in the interface. Like "Further Reading",  little things like that which are on every page.

For translating news, you need to make a forums post (if there isn't already one) that starts with NEWS: then the title (same as the news discussion posts) then just post your translation in there.

For pages you will need to make a WordPress post like many of DevilRy's page work, and put it in the 'es' category under the 'pagetree' category (I haven't made that category yet, but that's how it will work)

Some of the stuff that appears in WordPress is already translated. Months/time, and stuff that looks like it was put there by WordPress for example. Anything that looks like something Tony or I wrote, probably needs to be translated. I will setup a system that should let you translate that stuff directly within a few days.

For now best thing you could start on is translating the sidebar and footer, and maybe what the avatars say on the top of the game pages. Once we've done that we can start on the latest news, then pages if you want to. Also you can translate the deeper categories if you feel like it.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:03:38 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
FYI went ahead and enabled the Spanish version of the website. As it is setup now, it should be harmless.

Links inside pages might have unusual results. However Google is not supposed to follow the language links (for now) so everything should be technically safe. At any rate, I don't recommend using the site this way for now, but you can see how it will work.

I will setup a user option for the admin pages and which language page you'll start at after login. But we can't have anything too automatic, or it will mess with Google (the world's) interpretation of the website.

PS: I will try to fix some of the basic hardcoded links like "Back to Fome Page" asap.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:02 PM »
This is not official, but if you want all of WordPress in Spanish, especially the posting pages etcetera... if you put:

?lang_pref=es

on the end of any digitaldevildb.com url, like: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/

It'll setup a cookie that will lock you in Spanish mode (even on English pages for now)

To go back to English just put in:

?lang_pref=en

I would've given you straight links, but I don't want Google following a link like that while crawling these forums sweatdrop

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »
If you don't mind I'll start translating the news.

For now best thing you could start on is translating the sidebar and footer, and maybe what the avatars say on the top of the game pages. Once we've done that we can start on the latest news, then pages if you want to. Also you can translate the deeper categories if you feel like it.

And where do I post the translation of the sidebar, footer and avatars?

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:01:04 AM »

I don't have a place setup yet... though I've been working on that all night sweatdrop

If it's no problem for you to translate them, then don't worry about it. But you can try to make personal notes in the meantime so you'll be ready when everything is setup if you think it might make things easier... I always put a lot of thought into words. Whatever you come up with doesn't have to be totally literal, as long as it feels cool and natural in Spanish. Please don't call The Encyclopedia "Necronomiconcarne" or anything cause I can't personally guarantee the quality of translations biggrin

Unfortunately the internet is a lot further behind the times than I'd hoped. So I'm having to cobble together a bunch of solutions so that the website can be easily translated by volunteers thru the internet. This website is actually turning out to be a pretty interesting development exercise for me... I'd no idea the internet was stilllll so un-user-friendly. So it's a good thing I am able to get a jump on all this before I decide I need any personal websites for business or anything smug

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:04:42 AM by yksehtniycul »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »

I don't have a place setup yet... though I've been working on that all night sweatdrop

If it's no problem for you to translate them, then don't worry about it. But you can try to make personal notes in the meantime so you'll be ready when everything is setup if you think it might make things easier... I always put a lot of thought into words. Whatever you come up with doesn't have to be totally literal, as long as it feels cool and natural in Spanish. Please don't call The Encyclopedia "Necronomiconcarne" or anything cause I can't personally guarantee the quality of translations biggrin

xd Ok, don't worry! I'll try to translate it as natural as it could be. And I will keep a notepad with the translation of the avatars and all that for the moment you have a place for them. Thanks for clearing things out for me. wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: