DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:42:17 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do we know about digital publishing? (Read 10523 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:44 PM »
If pages are to be authored by contributing parties? What happens if we're asked to take something down? Should we think about this before it happens? sweatdrop

I haven't the foggiest myself confused

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:48:53 AM »
As long as authorship is apparent in some way I don't see any problems.  I think migrating the old pages into a new directory is probably the best course of action.  Maybe a disclaimer if you're that worried.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:30 AM »
As long as authorship is apparent in some way I don't see any problems.  I think migrating the old pages into a new directory is probably the best course of action.  Maybe a disclaimer if you're that worried.

I dunno what you mean?? I'm not worried about Tony's pages (99% if not 100% of the old site was all Tony all the time it seems) ...I'm worried about what to do about any new content users generate for us.

Ideally I'd like for the authorship and right to publish go to the author. Though I think the website should have display rights, to the extent it can't be revoked in the future. At the same time there is no clear way to prove who's who / who did what / generated what, that isn't theoretically more complicated than producing the content in the first place.

So I'm a bit puzzled what to do. Should we have release documents? And if we did would they mean a damn thing if challenged?

Or should we just let all content be subject to withdrawal by the authors. And if so, how do we verify an authors identity, or do we just blow over like a feather if someone cries foul -- legitimately or not? It's a difficult question.

This is why user generated sites declare they own all IP that goes through their pipes. But there is still the question of whether or not people presenting material are who they claim to be, and questions of plagiarism.

Of course many items like extensive FAQs are pretty easy to deal with if you can find where they authoratively originated. But page by page content at best possibly all we could do is have someone rewrite them if necessary.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:22:48 AM »
Oh, I thought it was the old content you were concerned about...

I figure basically tacking a name on the end of articles should be enough along with a verified email address.  If someone wants their content removed they should probably just contact you via that same email address to verify their identity.

I think a disclaimer should be enough.  Minimal effort and makes things implicit rather than having to deal with the rigmarole of release forms.   

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:00:14 AM »
The only system I can think of is all contributors will go thru a forum account (I've pretty much told people they'll have to be active in the forums to contribute)

And the only officially acceptable means of requesting withdrawal is via a PM from the same account. Any info associated with the Wordpress entry is meaningless as everything can be altered.

Still I'd prefer a no withdrawal policy for original content.

We could prepare a release document, and insist it be emailed from the user's registered forum email address and do an IP match up I think. And the same for each submitted article. That would be a legally binding contract more or less I think.

Then we could allow contributors to waive this procedure, in which case we have no real-world identity to assign to the work, so it would then be public domain pretty much.

If the website ever generates a considerable income, I will see that contributors see a portion of that income forever (a portion relative to their contribution)

Any advertising accounts I setup, I'll do everything possible to make sure anyone can login (or ideally not have to) and see how much income the account is drawing.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:02:07 AM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:51:28 AM »
Ooooooh, income.   biggrin  That'd be nice.  Well, let me know if you want me to register for anything.  You can use this post to verify that you have my consent to use whatever on the contributions front if it saves you the trouble.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: