DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:49:06 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How do you like the *new* main site look?
Better - 0 (0%)
Acceptable - 2 (100%)
Ho Hum - 0 (0%)
Worse - 0 (0%)
Yuck - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we like the *new* look? (Read 7918 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: October 09, 2008, 11:47:21 PM »
Please don't tell us how much you preferred the old site presentation. There was no practical way to keep it and continue to see the site evolve.

We'd just like to know if the site as is appears acceptable, or if you demand blood sweatdrop

I ask because the present presentation is basically just an attempt to pull together the bare minimum requirements for a navigatable site. On the other hand, personally I'm to a large degree satisfied with it for now, and would prefer to move on to technical features.

I intend to make the width of the site expand along with the font size but not exceed the browser window under 800x600 resolution. The default width will be assumed wider than it is now (the news headlines are pretty crowded and text is quite small)

I will also add large avatars at the top of the page. Which will kinda stand out in a 2.5d diorama sort of way. And smaller versions of the same avatars along side news items. The side bar might also see some new widgets along the way (probably including some ads) but that is about it. The top menu might have to go. We'll see...

So please tell us what you think. And feel free to offer suggestions!

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:49:35 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:02:32 AM »
I feel it a little simple, but I can't complaint since I haven't helped with it, what I do like is the look of the new banner. Maybe with time you can come up with some adjustments or upgrades in the whole look that will change my opinion, but for now, it's fine as it is. I just have to say, that, congratulations to both DevilRy and you for the big effort to the site.  smug

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »
Thanks smug

I think I probably speak for both of us... we could use some help instead of congratulations tongue

I think the site looks a bit bland, but it's actually fairly more complicated than the old site. You have to forgive me, I'm a bit of a minimalist. We welcome ideas... even if they would mean a complete overhaul (though now is probably not hte best time for that!)

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 02:39:30 AM »
I think the presentation is great but we need to work on the graphic elements a little more.  I'm excited to see how we end up implementing the avatars into the news feed.  I like the style of the banner but I think we can do better with font and with image selection.  I like the anime just as much as the next guy, but it is pretty obscure as far as the franchise goes, besides which it's a little hard to even tell what's really going on with the figures in it anyway.  Kerberos might as well be a lion-ish blob.

I've got a few other banners in the works, but I posted one up in the Graphics thread just to see what everybody thinks. 

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:47:52 AM »
Well, it doesn't represent "the anime," it represents the origin of Megaten. And basic tenants. We know you hearton Kaneko. But it also helps disassociate away from Kaneko somewhat. Also it's very logo like, because it's high contrast and very minimalist -- and I think the way the white blends off onto the white of the page is very unifying.

I agree it isn't the sharpest or best rendered image however. I like Kerberos in it very much. But the position of the sword and heroine's line are pretty weak. It is only designed to be a quick fix, but it might be harder than you think to dethrone. It has a lot going for it. The font is chosen for the image. It isn't an official logo font. In fact it's probably best there isn't anything official like.

I gotta admit though... now that I setup the fat-sticker background, it lends itself to more slap-on bandaid style banners.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: