DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:56:23 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction to MEGATEN (Read 40513 times)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « on: September 23, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »
I'm in the process of putting together a post that introduces North American players to the Megami Tensei series, going through them chronologically and putting up links to English and Japanese websites and references.  It won't be spectacularly in-depth but I plan to touch on all 52 current games in the series and updating as new games are released.

Also in what section do you think we should put it up?

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:06:30 PM »
All in one post? Sounds like mucho trabajo.

There might already be an article such as this on the mainsite. If not, I recommend you post your submission in the dev (The Underground) board as a pre-article. Then try to parley it into an article when finished.

There is a long ass article like this on a website called hardcore gaming 101 or something... don't know the actual url.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:09:57 PM »
http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/about.php

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »
If you plan to use images and explain all in depth then we can expect something really amazing.

Here's the link to that website, yksehtniycul said:

Hardcore Gaming 101

All in one post? Sounds like mucho trabajo.

xd

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:18:56 PM »
Something valuable might be stub articles for all the links on that page that are non traversable.

Personally, I'd really prefer the website be reorganized so it's more retro, and works up to the newer titles... rather than starting with the newer titles (actually just titles circa the site founding) as the basis for a site and working backwards / sprinkled with the odd retro tidbits.

My thinking is a more retro site invokes a sense of history. Plus comers are going to already know about the contemporary titles, so it makes more sense to make them wade thru the classic stuff first -- to me at least... I mean if the goal of the website is to be informational.

But I'm not sure. I'm just a retro sort of dude, so who's to say really rolleyes

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »

Hmm, apparently that article is regularly updated. I noticed there is now a link near the top to Masakado's translation of the novels (not sure the link is super appropriate on a comercial site -- but hey)

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:28:01 PM »
One thing that bothers me about Megaten2, is I'm constantly seeing screenshots of the Devil Buster meta game on the internet -- being captioned as if that is actual Megaten2 gameplay!

This is apparently because people never play past the mini-game to realize after you finish it (or just stop playing it -- which you can do at any time) the game becomes traditional first-person Megaten (which was really impressive on the Super Famicom)

So in the end, what you get is a bunch of screens that look like Dragon Quest being called Megaten2 rolleyes

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:30:28 PM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of an introductory message to the boards as well as the series.  Basically explaining what Megaten is, a listing of the games, release dates and systems, and providing links for each game, preferably with accompanying screenshots.       

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »
I dunno, I guess that could be a sticky by the introduction thread -- though that board isn't necessarily Megaten specific. I suppose I could add a special board to the Megaten games section for it, or more practically rework the "New News" board into something more all inclusive.

I don't wanna shoot down your enthusiasm, but bear in mind the forums are an addendum to the main site. I recommend if anything, you structure such a sticky post as more of a roadmap regarding what board you should use for which games / about the games. That is make it a more informative version of the list of boards/descriptions in the "MEGAMI TENSEI Uncensored" group on the forum's front page.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:30:45 PM »
Actually I'm thinking the "New News" board doesn't belong in that set, so probably you could park an introduction in the "Megaten Hell" board. I'll edit the description so it also mentions introductions / overviews.

In the meantime I'm not sure what to do with New News.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »
Well you don't have to reorder things on my account.  The Megaten Hell section does seem like the best place for it.

I'm sure the News section will start picking up once Persona 4 gets localized and more information gets released for King Abadon.  I'll try to keep a look out.

In addition to screen shots I was looking to include links to actual game play videos that are posted on youtube and other video upload sides.  Again, it won't be anything too fancy.  I'll probably puts some links to roms of the non-localized games as well.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
Like I said, just break it up into these sections (all in one post)

Megaten Hell
IMAGINE Online
Tokyo 202X
Summoners' Club
Velvet Room
Nirvana

Make each heading a link to that board, and you should be fine.

You might move the Megaten Hell section to the last slot.

If you don't do it this way, I don't think it's appropriate for the forums.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 03:02:52 PM »
I'm still working on this, just tracking down the last bits of boxart.

The problem I have with ordering it  this way is that it makes Online IMAGINE first on the list.  For the sake of brevity I'd like to list it second to last (past the Nirvana section, before Megaten Hell), mostly because it's going to be the emptiest section in the introduction and also just not the first thing I (or most people I'd argue) think of when I think about Megaten.

Brief outline: A small paragraph about the boards and a brief history of Megaten.

Then a list of the games by series with box art, release dates & available systems, links to their Japanese and North American (if they have one) sites, as well as providing ROM resources for the games unavailable commercially in North America, and of course the headings link to the boards that discuss them.  I'm still dividing them the way you describe, but I feel this order is more appropriate:

Tokyo 202X
Velvet Room
Summoner's Club
Nirvana
Online IMAGINE
Megaten Hell

I think this order generally parallels the popularity of the individual gaiden too.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 05:06:31 PM »
Just swap Persona/Devil Summoner and you'll loosely be in chronological order wink

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »
I was thinking that the introduction post probably belongs in the Welcome section since it's basically a DDDB Forum introduction and directory.  I'll PM you a preview.  I'll have to update the miscellaneous games a bit later.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: