DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:35:57 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite game franchises outside of Megaten? (Read 85469 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
Yeah, I had a huge Playstation collection of games I thought were exceptional. As for what became of it, its a bit of a story. Few if any of the titles were part of recognizable brand name franchises however.

I just kept trading stuff until I arrived at what I thought was the complete list of especially playable PS1 games biggrin

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 08:45:48 PM »
I tend to be drawn to certain series but overall I pick and choose too.  Just trying to foster discussion.  monocle

On a related note, what do you like/dislike about certain franchises?  Final Fantasy too easy?  What do you think are the biggest bombs as far as sequels go?  Which franchises do you think have gotten better over time?   

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 08:54:22 PM »
Better over time, Megaten (at my opinion), Final Fantasy? They began to suck on FFX! I didn't feel connected with the story as with FFVII and FFVIII (which is my favorite), the characters were not attractive to the look. And FF touch the button of the barrel with FFX-2, that game really suck ass!! I just hate Yuna and now she is the protagonist? At least they gain a little of my respect with FFXII.

I'll say that FFVII was the best, because it has a deep story and was the game that has many other "sequels" like Dierge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, Crisis Core and even a movie which totally kick ass. But I like FFVIII even more. razz

EDIT: oh! and about the upcoming Silent Hill 5, I cannot say much but of all I've seen, the only thing that catches my attention is the Pyramid Head, and the game doesn't look too good.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:56:20 PM by Emilio Morales »

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
snow-oh
crystalline water

View Profile
snow-oh phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 08:57:21 PM »
Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking of Bloodlines on the Genesis (it also saw a Mega Drive release)

Maybe I'll have to try this one.

I thought Bloodlines was supposed to be a basic port of the PC Engine game, but maybe not.
Nope. Bloodlines is Genesis exclusive. Also, one of the best game in the series. smile

snow-oh has 11 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »
Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking of Bloodlines on the Genesis (it also saw a Mega Drive release)

Maybe I'll have to try this one.

I thought Bloodlines was supposed to be a basic port of the PC Engine game, but maybe not.
Nope. Bloodlines is Genesis exclusive. Also, one of the best game in the series. smile

To bad, neither one of the two characters is a Belmont. dazed

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »
Better over time, Megaten (at my opinion), Final Fantasy? They began to suck on FFX! I didn't feel connected with the story as with FFVII and FFVIII (which is my favorite), the characters were not attractive to the look. And FF touch the button of the barrel with FFX-2, that game really suck ass!! I just hate Yuna and now she is the protagonist? At least they gain a little of my respect with FFXII.

I'll say that FFVII was the best, because it has a deep story and was the game that has many other "sequels" like Dierge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, Crisis Core and even a movie which totally kick ass. But I like FFVIII even more.

I liked FFVII, but my personal favorites in the series were II and VI.  I agree with you that FF died at X, but VII marked the big change in the overall theme of the series.  While I liked VII for its (for the time anyway) ground-breaking qualities, I think overall it suffers from some major design flaws that the subsequent games did everything but fix.  The sequel games of FFVII itself I don't really understand.  It seemed they just designed them to make FFVII appear to better fit into the current visual style of the Final Fantasy franchise.

I don't see what is supposed to be so awesome about the Metal Gear games.  They always struck me as ridiculously cheesy in that Steven Sagal/Jean Claude Van Damme, squinty eyed action hero-sort of way.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »
I thought FFVIII was the worst of the litter (the last sequel I played)

Since you thought it was the best Emilio... maybe you could explain to me what the hell the alternate universe party even was? And what the hell was going on in general?? I played it in English for chrisakes and I still don't have clue one!

I actually held out hope for FFVIII until the end. The thing is, when it ended, I thought surely it was just beginning -- the game was just getting started... nope, end credits, that's it. No closure, no explanation of wtf just happened. It seemed to me like the game was supposed to be 3x longer, but the rest never got made.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »
Since you thought it was the best Emilio... maybe you could explain to me what the hell the alternate universe party even was? And what the hell was going on in general?? I played it in English for chrisakes and I still don't have clue one!

Ouch! >_< can't explain! I didn't understand to much either! I guess it was because I play it like 7 or 8 years ago, and by that time I didn't catch to much of the story, sorry! sweatdrop

Digital Apocalypse

View Profile Email
Digital Apocalypse phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 01:05:55 AM »
Legacy of Kain ---> Superb storyline complimented with incredible gameplay. And it probably has the best script and voice-acting i've ever heard in a game.

Silent Hill ---> It scares you in a  profound way and the psychology behind it's story is pretty amazing.

CLOSE THE WORLD OPEN THE NEXT

Deaths vastness holds no peace.
I come at the end of the long road--neither human nor devil....
All bends to my will.

Digital Apocalypse has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 04:15:53 AM »
My favorite games along side Megaten are the King's Field & Shadow Tower games. I'm not sure why, but the core Fromsoftware franchises just feel the same way games used to before people found out you could make easy money with them doh

Yes kids, once upon a time, video games were not mainstream anything period razz

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:18:10 AM by yksehtniycul »

Stan_Marino

MaleView Profile Email
Hey Skeeter.
Stan_Marino phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »
I'll be blunt. Pokémon.

Also Harvest Moon, Creatures, and the Goemon series.

Stan_Marino has 7 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Aleph
Ahsiaor...

MaleView Profile
I dreamt music...
Aleph phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 06:02:07 AM »
I'm finishing Final Fantasy 8 these days (replaying actually, I finished it 6-7 years ago), and I must say it's a love/hate relationship. The technical side of that game is perfect. I think even the junction system is great, you don't have to draw for hours if you know which Triple Triad cards you have to mod. You can play thru the game with almost no encounters if you want to, because the enemies are almost always the same level as you are. Simply, the depth of the game system is amazing. However the characters are extremely irritating. The only sympathetic main characters are the silly ones (Laguna, Selphie and sometimes Zell). And what I totally dislike is how the characters and the world of Final Fantasy 8 look. That mix of The 5'th Element, Star Wars and Gianni Versace. It's tasteless like putting a leopard thong on Michelangelo's David. The game is at moments even repulsive, with no/very little atmosphere at all. I'm not saying the game is bad, it's better than maybe 70% of all other RPGs, I'm only saying it could have been much, much more. I can't even compare it with other Squaresoft games like Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy X. In my opinion, FF 7 was perfect and is my favorite game of all time, Chrono Cross came very close to it (even 90% of the people prefer CT over CC, I like CC much better). And about FF X, I think it's simply great. Great character build system, great atmosphere (the first totally "Asian" Final Fantasy), nice characters. That game even made me change my opinion about one of the characters. Wakka being a racist and religious fanatic turned into a nice guy. He was actually a nice guy all the time, but he had some serious problems in the beginning. The reason I never played FF X-2 is that a friend knowing my taste very well told me it was like playing with a Barbie doll.
I like the Final Fantasy series, I even like them more than Megaten (because I was never sorry for playing any of the FF games, but I was sorry for playing SMT 1).
To yksehtniycul: "Castlevenia: Vampire's Kiss" is the SNES version of "Akumajo Dracula - Chi No Rondo" (only released for home computers in Japan). Try to find the Japanese PC version of the game. I have it, it's much better than the SNES version (more (different) levels, two characters and it's easier). And when you reach the last boss in the SNES version, good luck until you find the pattern to beat him. Actually, good luck reaching him at all.
I like the first two Tenchu games, Silent Hill series (I think the first game is still the best), KOF series, Samurai Spirits series, DOA series, Megaten series, Vagrant Story, Castlevania series and those sweet RPGs from the SNES era.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:05:25 AM by Aleph »

Aleph has 35 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
snow-oh
crystalline water

View Profile
snow-oh phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
...And what I totally dislike is how the characters and the world of Final Fantasy 8 look. That mix of The 5'th Element, Star Wars and Gianni Versace. It's tasteless like putting a leopard thong on Michelangelo's David.
That was priceless! biggrin

I'll be blunt. Pokémon.

Also Harvest Moon, Creatures, and the Goemon series.
Harvest Moon is a truly awesome series. The PS2 port o Wonderful Life sucked in my opinion, though. sweatdrop

snow-oh has 11 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »
Quoting myself...
I'm not sure why, but the core Fromsoftware franchises just feel the same way games used to before people found out you could make easy money with them doh
I actually am pretty sure why, just wasn't in the mood at the time to digress. Basically these games are good because they're tailored to a specific audience and don't even so much try to attract people outside of the audience into the game. The game knows what it is, and that's what it is. The barrier to entry / learning curve is very high, especially for Armored Core. AC constantly gets panned by reviewers in the states, though some of the bigger names are beginning to admit it's the best "mecha" game -- if that is you can get into it and still wanna play it. AC is really not at all popular in the states. It appears to have a rabid core audience in Japan of significant scale, but still they don't overlap with more casual players. The King's Field games are much less complicated, but apparently most people just feel like playing them is some form of torture... citing the slow speed/turning and depressing environments -- doesn't help that Japanese players say KF gives them motion sickness -- which probably accounts for the slower speed some. Never the less if you don't load your character down with the biggest baddest equip, it's generally quite fast, and there is a run button to boot. King's Field is probably the penultimate masterpiece of immersion, everything about it serves to suck the player mentally into that world. And it's the only game of it's genre produced in Japan afaik... though the format is not uncommon in western games, there tends to be nothing artful about it's western counterparts (first-person non-shooter dungeon crawler)

Bottom line, I think Fromsoftware uses these two founding franchises as a bulwark against their books dipping into the red. I think they know there are a fixed number of people in the world that will buy everyone of these games no matter what, so that allows them to always know bare minimum what their fiscal quarters will look like down the pipe. Which ultimately I'd think is more valuable than gambling on a breakout hit with every title with the risk of alienating a reliable fan base that knows exactly what it wants.

PS: Someone said Tenchu?? I played the first game to hell... 100%. The follow-ups never recaptured that magic however. Fromsoftware apparently owns the rights to Tenchu now, but I haven't seen any signs of that being a better deal for Tenchu. In fact most of Fromsoftware's stuff is really eyebrow raising I think. But their two babies the company was built on remains tried and true. I'd hate to produce games in the Japanese market honestly... I have a feeling the islands of Japan are sitting astride a sort of insanity vortex?? ninja

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 04:15:59 PM by yksehtniycul »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
 « Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »
I like Tenchu! Is really awesome, but at first I thought it was a copy of the Metal Gear franchise, it may have they're similarities I just like Tenchu a lot more. I play from Tenchu 1 to Wrath of Heaven and they totally satisfy my hunger for a cool ninja's game, I haven't played the rest but the upcoming Tenchu for Wii doesn't convince me at all. I always think that the Nintendo kills the game franchise, the same happens with FF Crystal Chronicles and Valkyrie Profile The Accused One. mad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: