DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:23:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About name changing... (Read 24731 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: August 21, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »
Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be a setting that disallows users to change their names. I'm looking into locking this down so any changes will have to be granted by admins. In the meantime for posterity sake, please change your name back if it isn't too much trouble. I need more time to figure out the policy on this.

I might just hack the system so you can have a nickname with your system name displayed at the bottom of your profile info.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:24:41 AM »
Can I seriously keep this for now...I think it's relatively easy to remember me...plus...everyone knows me as Q...soo...  sweatdrop

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »

You can keep it for now, cause otherwise I wouldn't have realized users were able to do this doh

BTW! Please let me know if anyone sees anything in your normal account that could be potentially exploitive...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:33:58 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:45:01 AM »
Ok, found the setting!

If there is a lot of demand for name changing after the bbs is public, I'll look into setting it up in a sane way.

It will take a lot of hacking to make it work, so I'm in no hurry.

Also all name changes will be registered in a special thread.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:55:13 AM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:06:42 AM »

You can keep it for now, cause otherwise I wouldn't have realized users were able to do this doh

BTW! Please let me know if anyone sees anything in your normal account that could be potentially exploitive...
Do we get prize?  dazed

Q's discoveries:
-User titles.  Most websites don't really allow custom user titles due to pre-set ones, or them having you earn the ability.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:08:52 AM by QBasic »

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:11:40 AM »
There are independent post level based titles. I erased the names, so you just see stars.

Btw, you can't declare yourself "DDDB Official" anything *points to your user title*

If user customizable titles become a problem I'll lock them so they must be changed by request.

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:31:09 AM »
I don't think User titles were ever locked here =\

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 02:46:49 AM »
The new rules that will be put in place will be very minimal, but mischievous deception of users will be part of one of the two basic rules.

If people put like "Administrator", or "Official" this or that in their title, and won't leave it alone, then I'd rather lock the titles than even talk about banning someone.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:50:00 AM by yksehtniycul »

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
Er, you're an admin, it's your job to talk to users who try to do stuff like that, warn them and if they continue to pretend to be admins, then banhammer time.

Locking up titles just because a few people don't follow the rules, ruins it for everyone else and that's pretty stupid IMO

Besides it's obvious that Qbasic's title is a joke (hahaha sorry Q)

Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »
I agree with aero.

Every forum will have it's run-in with newbs who don't follow the rules,or morons that like to provoke the staff and see just how fast you're gonna ban them,even if,to them it's just a joke....doesn't mean everyone else has to suffer over something like that.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 12:36:55 AM »
I don't think it's trouble to ask a moderator change your title. The problem with banning is once you start you just can't stop. Me and Jose have discussed the new rules for the bbs a little and seem to generally agree. New rules will be posted before the bbs goes public. We don't want to ever ban anyone. Banning on a bbs is not a cut and dry process. And once people start getting banned, forums tend to go to hell and die. Hypothetically if all it took to keep people out of trouble was locking a feature which is normally set by admin anyways (such as names or titles) is a small price to pay to keep things transparent.

The new bbs will be as free as any bbs can be, with no paranoia about authority. Anything you can do you can do, no laws per say. That means we'll just have to define what people can do more tightly. But at least there won't be any confusion.

The new board won't be heavily moderated, there will be no posting rules. There will be rules about how posters treat other posters, but only in a few circumstances. Moderators won't be able to delete or modify posts. And any locking will be temporary only for a day or less.

Karma will be given to users going out of their way to support the community, and will be taken away basically for any bullying. What karma actually amounts to we don't know yet. But it can only mean extra privileges, not less.

Admin wise this is going to be a very adult place.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:40:40 AM by yksehtniycul »

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 01:52:51 AM »
If that's what Jose really wants, I'm fine with it I guess, though I still think it's strange to lock a feature that was available beforehand and that we've never really had any problems with =\

Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 02:29:55 AM »
There are independent post level based titles. I erased the names, so you just see stars.

Btw, you can't declare yourself "DDDB Official" anything *points to your user title*

If user customizable titles become a problem I'll lock them so they must be changed by request.

Wow, are you kidding me? It's a stupid user title, and this is an internet forum -- who cares?!

Seeing as how the new ownership here kind of sucks, I guess I won't be wasting my time here. I'm also sure a lot of people don't appreciate the mass e-mailing and the public displaying of their e-mail addresses, by the way.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 04:30:50 AM »
If that's what Jose really wants, I'm fine with it I guess, though I still think it's strange to lock a feature that was available beforehand and that we've never really had any problems with =\

It isn't locked. It isn't what Jose want's per say. I'm not sure you should equate Jose with Tony. He's helped keep the site alive, but he hasn't really shown any interest in adopting it, or keeping tabs on it at all.

I'm basically what you get for now. We're trying to open up the site as much as possible without breaking it, so it shouldn't seem like there is any authority here in 99% of matters. If that bothers you, you'll just have to learn to live without a supreme dictator.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:04:02 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 04:48:44 AM »

Wow, are you kidding me? It's a stupid user title, and this is an internet forum -- who cares?!

Seeing as how the new ownership here kind of sucks, I guess I won't be wasting my time here. I'm also sure a lot of people don't appreciate the mass e-mailing and the public displaying of their e-mail addresses, by the way.

We apologize. We used the forums newsletter feature, which I would've presumed to be BCC, but we didn't run a test experiment first.

The forum is back for posterity sake and anyone that wants to can use it, and with more freedom than ever. I'll see that technical matters are addressed in a timely fashion. But you shouldn't think of there being any ownership here, nor should anything we post to personal effect reflect the intent of the website's future.

As far as "ownership" goes, I'm told and there is no reason to doubt, the host is payed up for at least a year, and there are no current restrictions that will affect the bbs aspect of the site. So you can rest assured once the bbs goes back up it'll be good to go for a while, and honestly that is all the ownership should have to do with the site.

All non-security related aspects of the site will be up to the users more or less in time.

Bottom line the site admins aren't trying to be your friend, we're just keeping the site going, love us or hate us, it has nothing to do with the operation of the site. We've adopted this stance for your benefit. If you think it's gay that's just lovely. Feel free to post whatever you like.

At any rate, I will personally remove your email from the mass email that will go out to all registered users if you like, though I'll do what I can to make sure that one is more private if possible. In the future I recommend using an email that doesn't reflect your identity if you want to remain completely private. BBSes are the no-man's-land of online identity after all.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:04:59 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: