DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:20:58 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh boy, just bought a PS3 (Read 37932 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »
I read somewhere there was a desire to bring back the 1st person game -- though it seemed like maybe the concept was more just to try to milk some novelty out of the Wii format.

The biggest burn for me is the change to 3rd person and the shift away from the staple anonymous hero and heroine against the world, and even God itself, dynamic. Though I do enjoy the action rpg efforts... on the other hand however I'd probably like them more in 1st person. The spinoffs are healthy I think, but it seems like Atlus thought something was wrong with the original formula which I don't get. But then I'm a hardcore King's Field and Armored Core fan, so I'm accustomed to being in the minority.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:16:42 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »
^I don't mind a few spin offs with radical changes, but it seems that all of the new titles are intent on shedding all of the major components of traditional SMT titles. That is what frustrates me a little.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »
I would feel the same way, except after playing Kyuuyaku (which allowed me to more easily appreciate the original titles) I felt pretty much the same way about SMT!  sick

edited: Hmm, the sick emoticon seems to be broken... taken care of!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:37:55 PM by yksehtniycul »

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »
But Kyuuyaku was Atlus' remake of the original Namco MT titles. I guess I would kind of expect that.

edit - Speaking of 1st person dungeon crawlers, are there any others you like? I was thinking of starting a thread.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:48:30 PM by Kakizaki »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 05:12:02 PM »
Kyuuyaku is generally more accessible than the original titles, though there are definitely aspects of the originals I prefer and regard with more esteem than Kyuuyaku.

I've always preferred first-person. Not as much, FPS's though I grew up with a healthy dose of Wolfenstein3D and DOOM on tap. I prefer slower more emmersive experiences, and first-person just sucks you into the mindset of the game world so much more effectively that way. KFII and ShadowTower I consider the masterpieces of this rarest of genres. The original System Shock was also very effective, just off the top of my head. I enjoy any title like Megaten that strips the leads of all personality so the player can project themselves into the experience. I also really enjoy the way the original Megaten titles consciously strip away at the "fourth wall" so to speak -- and even the fifth and sixth I guess! Back then there was a lot of interest in total submersion gaming, and Megaten was the vanguard and hence relished itself in that aspect of its conception I think.

I think MakenX was probably an experiment into first-person action gameplay for Atlus. I really don't think truly cinematic first-person action can be done so well with the traditional Megaten format however. I think you'd need some kind of voice command type gameplay to make that work. Like some of the games were you issue commands into headsets. I think that would be the only way to effectively interact with a party of devils in first person in a real-time action format (that would be my wet dream take on the Megaten format)

One thing I wish all first-person titles had was a fully visible body. Being disembodied arms is the most disorienting thing in the world. I'm a little interested in this new Mirrors Edge title. I'm skeptical of the format, but it looks like the first time first-person might be taken seriously as a genre.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 05:18:21 PM by yksehtniycul »

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »
I'm still waiting on the english patch to play it.  confused

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
Completely off topic, but when english patch was mentioned I thought I'd just say that Innocent Sin's english patch is at 98% now. Well it has been for 2 weeks so I'm guessing another month until it's 100% done.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:58:32 PM by Neao »

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »
^I still have to figure out how I'm going to play that.  sick

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »
What do you mean? As in you don't have enough time to play it or you don't actually know how apply the patch?

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
^That I don't know how to apply the patch or really how to do any of the technical stuff. I actually want to be able to play it on a modded PSX. I'm not worried about the legalities of it as I actually own a true copy of IS.

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »
Oh, it's actually pretty easy. I'll just quickly explain it: Download a software called IsoBuster for free and install it on to your computer. Take your copy of IS and put it into your CD drive. Launce IsoBuster and you'll see a "+" sign next to an icon that says "CD," that would be your CD for IS. Right click the icon that says "CD" and click "Extract CD <Image>" once the side menu pops up click "Raw ( .bin*, .iso*)." Save that to where ever you want it, that's the image of IS you'll use for the patch. Now, the patch that is going to be released for IS will come with a software that automatically applies the patch to the .iso file you have on your computer. Follow the instructions that comes with the patch, apply it and you're set. You can either play it on an emulator on your computer, burn it to a CD and play it on your modded PSX or put it onto your PSP and play it there. If you do decide to burn it, then you will have to play it on a modded PSX only. Sadly, American systems still read it as a Japanese CD and it will be region locked.

Here's the main blog site for the patch in progress: http://tsumi.wordpress.com/

I feel that that was a bad explanation but I hope it still helps.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:49:30 AM by Neao »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
Pretty useful information Neao, thanks I have my wonders about the patch too  confused A + to his karma for the info? Is that how the system works?  smug

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 01:59:55 PM »
Pretty useful information Neao, thanks I have my wonders about the patch too  confused A + to his karma for the info? Is that how the system works?  smug

Yes, and the moderator that raises it should post a quote to this thread:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/smf/index.php/topic,732.0.html

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 02:33:29 PM »
Awesome, glad I could help.

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 02:58:16 PM »
^Yeah, thank you man. ;)

Sadly, American systems still read it as a Japanese CD and it will be region locked.

Hmmm, this might make it a little more tricky for me.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:00:17 PM by Kakizaki »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: