DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:10:31 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Emoticons are going thru some transitional difficulties -- don't worry (Read 14118 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: August 18, 2008, 03:37:05 AM »
I really didn't like either of the default Emoticon sets. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the ones I added either, but at least they're not so hard on the eyes.

I had to use some stand-ins for some common emotes, so I apologize if some are a little odd.

If you know where to download the rest of this set please let me know. If you can recommend a set that is cool too. I'm not convinced using all the emotes in the old bbs is the best idea, but I'll consider it.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »
I never really paid attention to the emoticons from before,so these are okay to me.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »
Ew.  :<  Want me to make new ones?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:53 AM »
I decided the best set I could find were the original ones from the old board :)

Unfortunately last night my internet was really rocky, and all day today apparently my ISP is completely down, so I had to connect via dial-up just now. I was told it would be back in 20 or 30mins, but looks like they gave up completely for tonight. My ISP is a nation wide satellite internet provider, so a lot of people were without internet tonight I guess.

After everything is back to normal I will try to make sure all the old smilies are working again, but for now I was only able to import a bare minimum, so make do. I removed some of the oversized and tackier smilies from the old repertoire, but otherwise everything should be there.

I like these multicolored smilies, the all one colour ones seem a bit racist and drab.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:45:05 AM »
I think I'll just leave it so all graphical smilies use the colon delimited syntax, so any textual emotes ie, :) will no longer be graphically converted at all. I realize it can be inconvenient if you like to use smilies, but this is technically better practice I think.

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »
I liked the old smilies, Tony had some awesome ones.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:06:01 PM »
I decided the best set I could find were the original ones from the old board :)

Unfortunately last night my internet was really rocky, and all day today apparently my ISP is completely down, so I had to connect via dial-up just now. I was told it would be back in 20 or 30mins, but looks like they gave up completely for tonight. My ISP is a nation wide satellite internet provider, so a lot of people were without internet tonight I guess.

After everything is back to normal I will try to make sure all the old smilies are working again, but for now I was only able to import a bare minimum, so make do. I removed some of the oversized and tackier smilies from the old repertoire, but otherwise everything should be there.

I like these multicolored smilies, the all one colour ones seem a bit racist and drab.
Racist!?  Fine.  Make green smilies.  Cause I doubt ANYONE would get offended by gorram green smilies...  rolleyes

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »
I think most of Tony's smilies were probably part of the vbulletin package, as other vbulleting forums tend to use them it seems.

Any smilie set all in one colour just seems racist. If you've ever been to Japan or any completely homogenous society, you can get an idea of how suffocating it can be to only ever see one face of one colour, that is not yours.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »
Ok, my internet is back to normal. I'll add the rest of the smilies now...

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:07:49 PM »
I think most of Tony's smilies were probably part of the vbulletin package, as other vbulleting forums tend to use them it seems.

Any smilie set all in one colour just seems racist. If you've ever been to Japan or any completely homogenous society, you can get an idea of how suffocating it can be to only ever see one face of one colour, that is not yours.
I DID go to Japan.  This is just your own personal paranoia... =/

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »
Smilies are a pain to work with this this brand of forum, so what you see is what you get, I'm done monkeying with it (there are most of the icons from the old forum as well if you click on the [more] button)

I DID go to Japan.  This is just your own personal paranoia... =/

I'm sorry, I wasn't really throwing that out there for discussion sweatdrop

Feeling alienated isn't a symptom of paranoia. It is perfectly natural/common experience. Blah blah blah..

edited: Btw, what is gorram? You can use whatever language you want...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuck

Either way, points for alliteration.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:10:59 AM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: