DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:08:59 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Administration... (Read 16323 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: August 16, 2008, 10:03:27 PM »
Well it took a while, but we finally got this old horse back on its legs.

The Situation,

Jose still has final say about the website, ie. sole access to the host's "control panel," however I've been asked to rehabilitate the website, which I've done for the love of Megatendom since there doesn't look to be any place for a Megaten-thusiast (see what I did there) to go solely focused on Megaten while not wholly owned and operated by publishers of Megaten paraphernalia.

Wow, that was one long sentence. Feel free to ask any questions, while I'll try to disclose more later. If your question isn't about administration power dynamics per say, then feel free to nail up another post on this board. There is a lot to hammer out here after so long in waiting...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:35:18 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »
I'll help in the hammering.

I've been hinting that in the past...but none got the hint. =_=  I'll help out in any way.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 10:57:06 PM »
Btw,

I've been told the host is payed up for at least a year. I've also learned that many sites share the host, so it isn't likely this domain will go anywhere unless all the sites moved off the host or for some reason digitaldevildb.com was intentionally deleted. At any rate, I've backed up the entire site on my own home server, so I suppose in theory even under such extreme circumstances the site could be resurrected in one form or another.

We'd really like to open up the site completely I think, but unfortunately our host provider gives us very little elbow room to work in. So we'll just have to take things one step at a time and figure out how the site can move forward until some day maybe it can be moved to a more convenient home when it is convenient. One radical proposal we've thought of is keeping a developmental version, which everyone can work on securely and safely, on my home server where I have full control, then synchronize the development site with the public site once a week. If there was a lot of interest in developing the site that can definitely be done I think. We'll see if the community warrants such ends in time.

I'll help in the hammering.

I've been hinting that in the past...but none got the hint. =_=  I'll help out in any way.

For sure we can find something for you to do.

You know, there is a hidden staff board where your account is discussed with more than a hint of paranoia. I thought it was a little amusing myself, but I might need to see if we should keep that forum or not before making you a moderator or anything. That is just because I'm not sure if it would be an invasion of privacy to let you see it, and I dunno if there is any value to that board or not. I'll ask Emilio if he shows up. Seems only him and Tony were the major users.

If you wanna help add content to the main site, let me know. I haven't gotten around to really digging into it just yet.

My idea ultimately is to make everything free and open source, because no one is in a position to develop the site. I can manage administration if I must, but I've no intention of actually building the site itself, and that won't likely change  :-[

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:03:31 PM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »
Actually, rather than waiting a long time to get back to working on the site...why not just back the entire site up and start from scratch?

I won't mind working on it...

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 11:10:51 PM »
Actually, rather than waiting a long time to get back to working on the site...why not just back the entire site up and start from scratch?

I won't mind working on it...

That isn't how things work. Don't worry about it, there aren't any plans to "wait a long time," we're just taking things one thing at a time.

Developing a website is a lot trickier than it might look. Unfortunately there is no way to securely let outsiders hack away at the site given the limitations provided by our host provider. There are plenty of other ways of dynamically adding content however, and we're working on it naturally. We'll be happy to give you and others access to these features as soon as we have it ourselves more or less.

Feel free to help us brainstorm about new features you'd like to see while you're waiting.

Bottom line, don't worry... I run a pretty tight ship.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
AWESOME! The BBS is back!! :D And of course I'll show up, just let me know where I can help and I'll start working. I really want to see this site again on it's feets, count with me :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:36:18 PM by yksehtniycul »

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »
Sure will,

Btw... I just realized as admin I can modify anyone's posts! That's really scary. I tried to remove that privilege from the admin group but you can't for some reason. If I can't do it directly with the config files I might just have to make another account for administration, cause it's too easy for me to accidentally modify someone's post and not notice or be able to get it back :o

I modified your last post Emilio just to see if I'd get a warning. I didn't and don't worry, I didn't actually change anything!

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »
Don't worry, but beware that power corrupts   :D

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 11:47:01 PM »
Don't worry, but beware that power corrupts   :D

I'm incorruptible, but I might slip and destroy a nation without appropriate safe guards in place ;)

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 12:52:04 AM »
where your account is discussed with more than a hint of paranoia.
Explain.  :P

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 01:13:48 AM »
Yeah, if you guys need help with anything just ask.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 01:17:06 AM »
where your account is discussed with more than a hint of paranoia.
Explain.  :P

Oh it's nothing to worry about. Or anything I can really explain for that matter... Let's just say the Secret Staff Forum is a pretty cute read ;)

From now on there won't be anymore highschool like antics around here. You'll just have to stick to highschool simulators...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:18:43 AM by yksehtniycul »

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 01:43:03 AM »
Nice, I was wondering when this would come. Great work, I'll be looking forward to chatting with you all once again on the new site.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 02:16:15 AM »
Cool  8)

KarmaUP^  :D

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 09:37:46 PM »
Cool,

I hacked the internet so modify/remove icons don't show up on other peoples posts (this way I won't accidentally gum up your posts like I do my own on upon oft occasion)

Or better yet, this way I don't have to be paranoid all the time about having admin privs!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:15:35 AM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: