DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:58:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does Megaten require admins?
Yes - 9 (81.8%)
No - 0 (0%)
I apologize if the immutable subject language is inappropriate. - 2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it me, or is the situation here really f*cked up? (Read 24586 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: March 12, 2008, 04:50:33 PM »
The ownership here is in the can. The news page still isn't functioning. Obviously whoever is paying to keep this operation afloat isn't doing much service towards the patrons, or getting much action for their buck.

As far as I can tell the administration hasn't payed a dimes worth of attention to this host's content since the ship changed hands. That is fine and understandible, But shouldn't someone be running the show?

If the dude holding the bill doesn't wanna intervene (why do I feel like I'm yelling past god) ...then at the least someone(s) should be given full access to this host's content (ftp/ssh/mysql passcodes)

Ethically I have a hard time imagining anyone going over and ruining the site for everyone accidentally or otherwise, so I'd say pretty much anyone with 100+ posts is probably qualified to access the site's backend. Of course there is no reason to do so without purpose, but just saying, someone needs to be running the show, and pretty much anyone would be an improvement.

I think its a shame the rest of the site is in permanent limbo. But over in the dbdb subdomain, we desperately need PHP5. I've scripts sitting in the cgi directory and just need someone to ssh over there and give them a run. Plus the wiki content is becoming too much of an investment to not have a means to back it up. So some kind of snapshot/cvs arrangement has to be worked out asap. I can only copy so many pages markup into backup files.

At any rate, in general I don't think it should be this difficult to get any action around here. I've found the only way to budge the admin seems to be public shame. So I apologize and relenquish my piece.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:35:56 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
I'll do it.  I'm already in a rather comfortable position, so I may get the chance to expand on the site if I take over.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:52:45 PM »
I think it's time to bump this up.

Do you all REALLY don't even give a shit about this site? =/

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »
Yeah of course it needs admins. But, I mean, what can we really do? Who has authority as of now?

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »
We can't do anything without Jose, who is MIA right now.

I think traci mentioned this already.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
He's probably just on a crack bender.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:23:13 AM »
Do we give a shit?

Site needs work.  It's been put off by MONTHS.  Who cares what he's doing, or what's he smoking.

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:04:20 AM »
Isn't he the one with the password and stuff that we need to access and work on the site?

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 03:22:21 PM »
Quote from: aerozero;7313
Isn't he the one with the password and stuff that we need to access and work on the site?

Yeap.  If he was going to be away, he should have gotten someone to work on his stead.

This is lazyness, faggotry, and half-assed-ness at it's best.

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 08:22:22 PM »
Then why don't you give a shit about him? lawl

Instead of complaining about Jose not being here, design your own SMT site with your own forum or something. Since you seem so up to it, start from scratch.

If you need help with writing the stuff, I'm sure people here are more then willing to help.

That being said, I don't think Jose is ignoring this site out of laziness or faggotry, Tony wouldn't have given the site to someone like that.

Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 11:20:23 PM »
Yeah...I'd have to agree with aero on that idea.About starting your own SMT site...I mean telling someone to get off their ass and get it done already,doesn't really lead to better results.

I can only think of two projects that come to mind at the moment...that have been through this situation..
manga scanlation groups - we've seen the delays,staff members disappearing,putting the project on hiatus,etc.

private servers of working on MMOs - GMs delay releases in order to keep up with the official MMO itself,haven't gotten around to fixing glitches,still translating text,whenever the server goes down,the members are complaining,"Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! I need my FIX!!"...yet the admins never say a damn thing as to what the problem is...so it leads the members to think,the admins are sitting around doing nothing,etc.

These are what I've experienced,luckily,I have never been a staff member of any sort...

Except for modding on forums,but I'll admit..I was active as much as I could be.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:22:38 PM by Enid »

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »
I'm not hating the admin, but it is pretty lame regardless. Pathetic you could even say. At this point a software project is supposed to hand off or go open source. I have to admit, I would be ashamed to sit on it myself.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:50:10 AM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 01:20:57 AM »
So...you all want me to start up my own site?

Me, who has A) Not Enough Money B) Not Enough Resources C) Absolutely No Scratch Coding Knowledge D) Sayck

Now, I could always ask a few friends I know and am good with...but they don't even know what the hell SMT even is!

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 02:05:28 AM »
Well all you really need is the money part (and a long wait until the user base migrates over to your rock)

I agree though that isn't practical. There is no unofficial unaffiliated Megaten watering hole for the people atm other than this website afaik. So I agree it is incumbent upon the admin to either pay it some mind, hand out some passcodes, or pass along the bill or content to someone who gives two cents -- whether they really know what they're doing or not.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:11:42 AM by yksehtniycul »

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 03:10:10 AM »
You said you were in a comfortable position Qbasic, so I assumed that you had the resources to do so.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: