DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:12:38 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rat Race (Read 8034 times)
Sith Lord Illidan
Vicious Ranch Tooth

View Profile Email
hanumachine_R@yahoo.com
Sith Lord Illidan phones it in,
 « on: October 22, 2005, 08:53:52 AM »
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A rat released on a deserted island off New Zealand outsmarted scientists and evaded traps, baits and sniffer dogs before being captured four months later on a neighboring island, researchers have said.

Scientists from the University of Auckland in New Zealand released the Norway rat on the 23.5-acre island of Motuhoropapa to find out why rats are so difficult to eradicate.

They got more than they bargained for.

"Our findings confirm that eliminating a single invading rat is disproportionately difficult," James Russell and his colleagues said in a report in the science journal Nature.

Despite all their efforts, including fitting the rat with a radio collar, they couldn't catch the crafty creature.

After 10 weeks on the island the rodent decided it had had enough. It swam 400 meters, the longest distance recorded for a rat across open sea, to another rat-free island where it was eventually captured in a trap baited with penguin meat several weeks later.

The Norway rat, which is also called the brown or sewer rat, is a husky rodent that weighs about 11 ounces and has a long tail.

Invading rats on remote islands off the coast of New Zealand have been a recurring problem. Norway rats have invaded the uninhabited Noises Islands at least six times between 1981 and 2002.

"Our results may help in the design of conservation strategies to keep islands free of invasive rodents," Russell and team added.

Source

Smart rodent.

Sith Lord Illidan has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 01:28:08 PM »
I feel...really out of it today. XD When I read the title, I thought this would be something similar to that movie called "Rat Race". D:

Poor rat tried to swim his way to freedom~

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Quote from: Argilla
I feel...really out of it today. XD When I read the title, I thought this would be something similar to that movie called "Rat Race". D:

I assumed this was about that movie too lol. It's been on my mind lately since a friend mentioned how funny it was. I've still yet to see it. updown

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:23:32 PM »
You should definitely see it. XD It's pretty damn hilarious!

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: