DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:40:49 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Site Updates (Read 10024 times)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « on: November 22, 2007, 12:49:21 AM »
There's some exciting things afoot for this website. With the addition of new staff (and all of those who offered to help, thank you! I'll be in touch soon) I've found a lot more motivation. It's amazing what a little help can do.

One of the things this is leading to is a complete overhaul of the backend of the website. The benefit for every one is that it will be completely and totally controlled from a control panel, which is not 100% true of the site currently (aside from news posts and some custom work done by Alan). The hope for this is that, essentially, anyone can be taught to update every function of this site with extremely minimal, basic HTML knowledge (and even most of that can be copied and pasted from example elsewhere on the site).

This should lead to far quicker updates (particularly in terms of the game pages as they'll be the most affected by this), amongst other perks. The benefit for users beyond this is a lot of neat little options that normally haven't worked like I would have liked. This includes a full site search, RSS feeds for any search you like (so, let's say you really care about Yukari, search her out and subscribe to the resulting feed and you'll be told every time something about her pops up anywhere on the site), larger thumbnail images all across the site, video adjustments (embedded and downloadable) and so forth.

I know we're coming off a pretty recent redesign (although it will likely follow this current art style very closely), which makes this somewhat of a surprise (and perhaps even an annoyance to some). However, I bring this up largely because 1.) I want to reiterate this site isn't dead (I've even been offered help by a few people on the Demonary... yes it is real, Alan finished the coding on it several months ago) and 2.) there will probably continue to be few news updates until that time comes.

Thanks a lot for your patience and understanding during this, but it will definitely be worth the time (I'm aiming for December at this point). I've worked very hard on this site over the years, I'm proud of that work and I hope to improve upon it significantly in the months to come.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 03:09:55 PM »
You're not going to overhaul it to a completely based CuteNews site management system, are you?

That stuff is easy to penetrate. :-/  The best would prolly be a custom build...if you can manage it. XD

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
DeadSeraphim
King of Blame

View Profile WWW Email
DeadSeraphim phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 06:28:53 AM »
Quote from: QBasic;5689
You're not going to overhaul it to a completely based CuteNews site management system, are you?

That stuff is easy to penetrate. :-/  The best would prolly be a custom build...if you can manage it. XD

I'd fucking kill him.

i am the bird of hermes
i devoured my own wings

DeadSeraphim has 2 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »
CuteNews isn't even worth the time, really.... but I've had software set up to do news posts since the start. The main issue has really just been every thing else. It's not hard for me, but the effort to make sure people get it just isn't worth it lol.

I've got a pretty simple setup going through another piece of software that will work out fine. It's essentially what I'd ask anyone to do if it were custom to begin with, so that's not really a concern. Alan is handling other aspects of the site that do need to be custom, but I'd want them to be separate to begin with... so it's working out well so far.

I'll keep you guys posted as to any major developments.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:39:39 PM »
Hmm...this isn't related to the build of the site, but rather site content:  videos wouldn't be a bad idea, right?  And I'm not talking about just trailers either.  With a beast like Youtube and Veoh lurking about, its cakewalk for anyone to have a server-full of videos for free and open to the public for speedy demand.  Putting up entire cutscenes, battles, tutorials, etc would be cake-walk, and improve upon the site even more so, ya?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »
Well the videos stuff is a good idea, that can be like graphic walkthroughs. And in that way we can share strategies and other things.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »
Yeah, that's actually something that I've been asked before... One of the people who contacted me to help with the site is specifically interested in doing that. Not a full walkthrough or anything, but like you're saying, kind of like for special things... boss walkthroughs, etc.

I actually have quite a bit of bandwidth to spare, but like you say Youtube is so easy to use and it costs nothing. Plus it gets links into the main site and whomever made it gets their name up there. It's definitely something that would help set the place apart.

We did have one YouTube video, although someone else put it up for me. I did this like "first 45 minutes of Persona 3" video, but it was so long it required a director's account which I didn't have. I did upload it myself to Gametrailers and Gamevideos, though, which we could also do with these.

If that's something you or anyone else want to do, I'm totally open to that.  I'd be more than willing to put a very heavy focus on them on the main site or whatever else the creator of each video wants. We could, for example, add a strategy section and link to the videos. Obviously, like most things it's not something one person could do so the more people interested the better I would say. I do think it's an excellent idea.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
Anybody can make videos; just run down to a local Best Buy and pop 30$ for a VHS Converter.  Those things are like little boxes that allow you to plug your VHS player into your PC and digitally transfer tapes.  But it practically works with anything...including video game systems.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: