DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:45:22 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staff Updates (Read 41670 times)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 12:54:47 PM »
About making a wiki,this is my opinion on it...and I'm more of leaning towards Tony's point of view.I mean,yes they are great to have,but some of the wiki pages I have been seeing,I just don't like how they are organized.

Take the P3 wikipedia page...that page has been changed over several months.They even had Persona references towards the bottom of the page.
Example:
Take the company that Mitsuru's father is in charge of,and when he mentions,the Kirijo Family and the Nanjo group....Not everyone is familiar with Nate's last name...or rather,his japanese name "Kei Nanjo".I'll be honest,I didn't even catch that until I saw it on that P3 wiki page,and of course there is Maya....but we all know that one.
Then there was the "Death's poem" submitted on that page,I really liked seeing that poem...and then they removed it.In which,I'm curious as to why it was removed...I mean,was it to avoid spoiling something? Or was it just "pointless info" to submit on there? Personally,I don't think it was....someone took the time to actually write down those words,and I'm sure there are a few...maybe more,that really liked it as well.

This may come off as a personal rant here,or "I just don't like how they took down important things or my favorite things",etc.I'm just only pointing out,why I dislike these wiki pages...not that I am against the idea either,but really hope,if it does go through...that it will atleast stay true to providing the fans as much info,even if it May be considered pointless or not important to the plot itself.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »
Yeah, I mean, I definitely do see the strengths of the Wiki platform despite all the concerns I have. I can set one up and obviously anyone can work on it as they please to. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

I would need to find someone that would be interested in the overall management of it. It would be difficult for me to manage both the main site and the Wiki. I can start up some basic sections or something. My concern is that, really, if this is something put on top of me beyond the general installation that it will be half-assed. I just don't have the additional time.

The nice thing about is that if we're too busy with the main site for some reason, people can still expand upon the Wiki. Hopefully enough people are interested to do so.

As for FAQs, the issue is that most people who write them are not open to people using them like that. Half of them won't even get back to me about hosting them on my site, let alone taking information from them. We'd have to get them to OK it and maybe if they wanted they could help maintain sections related to what they're doing. At least that's my thought on it unless someone has a different idea?

Edit: I've pretty much decided on PmWiki, by the way. It seems like it would be the easiest for people to use, which is most important to me.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 04:04:34 PM »
Wiki would be interest, but only to the people here.  Not many outside would really care.  You gotta focus beefing the main site up first before anything else.  And at this point, you'll REALLY need beefing.

I don't want to sound egotistical or pompous, but it might be a good idea if you take me up on my help and advice.  I'm not just some random nobody. :-)

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »
If you have this awesome idea, please tell me what it is and I'll thank you wholeheartedly. The problem is that I'm not even sure what your advice is at this point (aside from maybe you wanting to be able to write news entries?). Everything you've said has revolved around me not doing things right or that there's not enough content on the site. And I think in a way these are justifiable complaints; I've even brought up these issues myself many times in my posts on here and on the main site. This is exactly what we're working to fix and we're doing it with people from the community (as we have all along). I'm not asking my Aunt Sally to help lol.

From my perspective, a lot of what this seems to be coming down to the fact that I didn't post about the Persona 3: Fes finding you wrote about on our forums (although ironically, all Siliconera did was credit your name... I'm not sure why that's so bad if we do it). I'm sorry, I was busy at the time. It was good news, I screwed up in not posting it and I admit that. If I don't see something on the forum, people can IM me or PM or e-mail me, but I didn't receive anything about it (it's possible it was lost, in the case of mail). I would have loved to have 10 people to cover me, but unfortunately that's never come to fruition despite how many times I've asked in the forums and on the main site.

Your other big point seems to be your idea the front page is difficult to update. This isn't the case, although I will say that it's still easier to just click reply in a forum and type a sentence than write, categorize and tag a full post. All of the news posts are handled through a CMS and it's set up far better than anything CuteNews could handle. It handles the archives, it even creates and links comments to the posts into vBulletin automatically. We're not hand coding it lol.

I'm currently working on the site so that EVERY page of the site (including the news) is handled through a CMS. That's what the big update is about, so that every page is as easily updated so anyone working on the site (you, me, whoever in the world) will have a far easier time of it so that these delays and such don't happen anymore on any part of the site whether it's the news, a game page or a new article. And combining this with Traci and a few other people I've been talking to about roles on the site I think that will become far less of a problem... and if we still need more people, then we'll see about getting them.

This is what I was excited about and I thought it would be good news. I guess it isn't.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 05:10:06 PM »
updown Wow, this turn out like a "Detective Story" xdxd

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
Quote from: QBasic;5754
I'm not just some random nobody. :-)

Who are you, then?

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »
Quote from: Tony;5731
Aerozero: I haven't added any new smilies in a long time. I think there's quite a bit if you open up the full box, though.

Ah, I've never scrolled down all the way before on that box, so I thought they were new >_>

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
Quote from: aerozero;5763
Ah, I've never scrolled down all the way before on that box, so I thought they were new >_>

We actually don't have as many as we used to. At one point the forum had to come down and I lost quite a few. There's still more here than I seem to come across at most places, though. Probably too many lol. :corkysm17

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 11:33:58 PM »
megaman

hahaha you even have a Megaman one! Awesome.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Demi-heat
Sony Is God

View Profile Email
Digital_Devil_Saga@hotmail.com
Demi-heat phones it in,
 « Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 11:39:34 PM »
Is it me, or there are a lot of new people coming to the forums?
:P New members more popularity
More Fame
More Power for the forum!!
more...money?

Ken Amada

[SIGPIC]Persona User[/SIGPIC]

Demi-heat has 83 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 02:23:44 AM »
Quote from: aerozero;5766
megaman

hahaha you even have a Megaman one! Awesome.

Lol,I agree.That is awesome.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 07:39:44 AM »
The benefit of a wiki is really only that anyone can lean in and add/fix something. I don't think the Megaten community needs more than one however. All manner of diplomacy should be tried before resorting to such a fracturing gesture. I would not link to a wiki from the front page. Its an awesome way however to get everyone collaborating. You can always copy Wiki info into a more tailored layout elsewhere.

editted: The great thing about a wiki is nothing is ever completely removed. If you like something that was for some reason, just drag it back out of the history. Try to respect the original authors wishes however -- as perhaps they could've removed it themselves. And as for FAQs, just do like in highschool, take their info and make it your own. Its not even worth giving credit to FAQ writers, the info is out there, crediting them would just be clutter.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 07:45:24 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
Well, from that standpoint there's also really nothing stopping anyone from sending me things they wrote about games or characters or whatever else... Like if someone wanted to write something about Aigis for the Persona 3 section, then I'd be all for that and would be more than happy to work it into the site.

The thing is that nothing like that has even happened. I've even tried asking if people would be interested in writing just general articles (for that article section) and while one person offered he was never actually able to find the time to do it.

Basically, I'm more than willing to accept fixes, adjustments or expansions on any of the content on the main site. There's several ways to contact me... e-mail, the forums, PMs, IMs. And if someone wants to do that once or a million times, it's up to them.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »
News entries is something I'm willing to write and work on on the main page as long as you're willing to let me write and work on them.

My current is advice, is plain and simple: hire Emilio for a regular staff position on the site, just like Traci.

See, that wasn't so difficult, right?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 12:47:02 PM »
Quote from: QBasic;5819
My current is advice, is plain and simple: hire Emilio for a regular staff position on the site

No. Don't listen to this guy.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: