DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:24:29 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar and Smilie Submissions (Read 32901 times)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 11:56:13 AM »
It's no big problem or anything. I just like discussing things and seeing other sides, I guess.

I suppose the best thing to do is change the initial post to "please request permission from the fan artist if possible" and leave it at that. My only real risk with the change is being yelled at by some person I'll never meet and removing an image lol.

I suppose if someone did use fanart and gave a link to the artist, the artist's name and page link can be put under it. That could work, maybe? And if further information is not provided... well, then it won't be added into the vB avatar section and I couldn't really be held accountable for it.

With the watermarks... the images can be direct linked by other servers and have been in the past (I have a few separate sites on the same hosting and I can't have one allow direct links and the other not). I just put them on there because of that problem. I make sure to not cover up the actual artwork itself.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 12:01:24 PM »
Quote from: Heat
Yeah, but you can't really enforce it. You see signs -- "Don't walk on the grass" -- people will do it anyways.

*shrugs* I guess I can just call that person ignorant then. That's like seeing a button with a sign over it stating, "Don't press the button." Press it and get dropped into a trap full of sharks. Ok, that might be going too far but you see my point.

Tony, I'm going to use Nuu as an example. At first, I didn't like what she did. She used fan art in her avatar but seeing as how she credit the artist, I'm totally fine with that, like you said, if they have it in the sig or whatever.

The only thing I'm worried about is that even though it's a good thing that she linked the site, did she ask to use the art? Some sites have those trackers installed inside their counters so they can see where they're getting there hits...and if it points to this forum. D: Yea, I just don't want any commotion...

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 12:03:17 PM »
Quote from: Argilla
The only thing I'm worried about is that even though it's a good thing that she linked the site, did she ask to use the art? Some sites have those trackers installed inside their counters so they can see where they're getting there hits...and if it points to this forum. D: Yea, I just don't want any commotion...

Well, that can be avoided by simply putting the image on a free host like imageshack.us ... I figured that was just common courtesy so you don't use up other people's bandwidth lol.

Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 12:04:30 PM »

Well then, then they can come in, and request the avatar to be removed. No drama has to be made over something as simple as an avatar.

What about using Cosplay in ones avatar? Is that, too, like a form of using fanart?

My only real risk with the change is being yelled at by some person I'll never meet and removing an image lol.

Meh, if they make a big deal out of it, then you can get satisfaction from the fact that the person is making a big deal out of something that could be solved easily by just requesting, nicely, that the item be removed.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 12:05:30 PM »
No, I'm talking about the link in her signature. I'm glad to see that she linked the site but I'm just saying, what if she didn't ask the artist for permission?

If I linked my site, right here in this thread, I have a tracker that tells me where I get all my hits from. If I check it, I'll get a link to this thread. That might be the issue with the link in her signature.

EDIT: Are their people using cosplay images in their avatars? Ok, I'm sorry. I find that really weird. x_x; Fanart I can see but pictures of other people??? What?

Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 12:08:50 PM »
Ah, okay, I didn't understand that. Anyone can check those things, but I have to assume most people never actually bother unless there's some insane bandwidth spike.

Cosplay... :buh:

Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 12:11:15 PM »
EDIT: Are their people using cosplay images in their avatars? Ok, I'm sorry. I find that really weird. x_x; Fanart I can see but pictures of other people??? What?

ARE THEIR, ARGILLA!? ARE THEIR!? Ha...h.. Right.

I've made an avatar out of a cosplayer. Though, I did it mostly because I can't find any decent Chiaki screenshots. I haven't used it, though. It IS weird using people, and that's why I haven't really used it. Which is a pity, because I like how it turned out. Whatever.

Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 12:16:54 PM »
Quote from: Tony
Cosplay... :buh:

Oh, I know. I have nothing against cosplay but people using OTHER people in their avatars is just weird. Unless they ask or something...or if it's a friend. But if it's someone you don't know then yea, weird.

One reason I stopped using music artist and movie celebrities in my designs. D:

Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 12:17:45 PM »
Oh, I know. I have nothing against cosplay but people using OTHER people in their avatars is just weird. Unless they ask or something...or if it's a friend. But if it's someone you don't know then yea, weird.

One reason I stopped using music artist and movie celebrities in my designs. D:

I'm not weird.

Nuu
I like blood

View Profile Email
Nuu phones it in,
 « Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 03:40:21 PM »
I can change my av if it's bothering some people.  
I just thought since I'm promoting the artist's site for him/her anyway...
Well, I'll change it anyway to avoid any problems.

Nuu has 54 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 04:02:31 PM »
Quote from: Nuu
I can change my av if it's bothering some people.  
I just thought since I'm promoting the artist's site for him/her anyway...
Well, I'll change it anyway to avoid any problems.
If it's "bothering" people, then they need to gtfo the internet. Seriously. If anyone that isn't the artist bothers you about your avatar, tell them to shut the hell up and mind their damn business, or you'll bite their face off.

Nuu
I like blood

View Profile Email
Nuu phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 04:11:44 PM »
Well, I might as well use my own artwork anyway.

Nuu has 54 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Mowf
A.K.A. The Living Radio

View Profile Email
mistamowf@hotmail.com
Mowf phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »
Persona 3 anyone?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:32:25 AM by Mowf »

If the shoe fits tie your laces and don't trip.

Mowf has 21 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Soulless_Beast
Tragic Idiot.

View Profile Email
furious_st
Soulless_Beast phones it in,
 « Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 11:16:50 PM »
I have some but the files are too big. I haven't had my laptop for awhile and got rusty. Any advise?

Pandas on the storm.... Pandas on the storm.... Into this house we roam. Then to the streets we run. When the peeps aren't having fun it's to us they first shall come. Pandas on the storm... YEAH!

Soulless_Beast has 101 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
If you want to just e-mail them over to me I can look into changing the file size. tony@digitaldevildb.com

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: