DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:14:02 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 3 Undubbed (Read 64107 times)
Jack_frostFTW

View Profile Email
Jack_frostFTW phones it in,
 « on: August 19, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »
I dont really agree with piracy but since I have a copy of the game on the way I think I should be allowed to download this.

Sounds like a great idea and I would love to play the game with the original jap voices subbed into english.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/843234

Jack_frostFTW has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Error

View Profile Email
Error phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:19:35 PM »
that readme is completely retarded

Please stop ruining your games with such horrible english dubs!
  We are forced to go to extremes like this because you are making
  the games we love unplayable!
ugh

honestly the english dub is awesome, dont see the point of playing the game with the JP voices.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:25:23 PM by Error »

Error has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:34:16 PM »
I think the english voices are not bad, but I would like to play with the original voices, just to see how was them.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
ShinByakki
Persona User

View Profile
ShinByakki phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 03:46:30 AM »
You're going to have problems understanding the anime cutscenes because there are no subs whatsoever.

ShinByakki has 110 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
I'd pretty much stress that the dubbing is not bad myself. I think we're also talking about someone who would find any dub to be unacceptable, though lol.

I always am amused by how those that desire these things feel that the want for a subbed version somehow surpasses the desire for a dubbed one. Where were they during the dubbed vs. subbed VHS anime situation before all of that stuff exploded? Even when that was niche, subs weren't exactly a majority preference.

Do they really think a company such as Atlus is going to do a secondary "special" print run so that a couple hundred people (if that) can have a Japanese language version? There's a very large discrepancy between those who will just download something and those who will pay $50+ for something. To some of these people offering only the Japanese track is the way to go, but we're not in Japan (regardless of the game's locale) and it seems as though Sony has some rules about that stuff.

That said it's a pretty cool offering. Personally, however, given that I don't understand Japanese it's pretty hard for me to sit and listen to this and really be like "well they're definitely better voice actors!". If you understand it, why not just buy the Japanese version and read it "the way it was meant to be!" read too? Although that's obviously far less feasible.

Hopefully this will just become a non-existent issue as we move to larger storage mediums. If this still happened on PS3 with Blu-ray or some other system in the future, I think there will be a lot more room for complaint.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 02:48:09 PM »
I was 100% happy with the "English" translation. Of course if I "was" Japanese I'd prefer the original but I'm not. What perplexes me is "Europeans or Americans" that rant how  the Japanese version rocks so much harder when in reality the quality is the same and the "original voice talent" is roughly equal to the dubs. Now I've played some "dubbed" games that were horrible but Persona 3 shines. The dubbing was great so I don't really understand any bitch fest people would have.

Guess my "Otaku " standing isn't at a perfect ten otherwise I'd wear Kanji covered shirts and lament how everyone in Persona 3 spoke English instead of the "beautiful musical language" of Japan.

In my humble opinion every cultural language is beautiful in its own way. No reason to try to put one culture above another. Every ethnic and national society has both merits and flaws.

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Jack_frostFTW

View Profile Email
Jack_frostFTW phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »
Im from the U.K so my version wont be here for a while glad to hear its well dubbed though really looking forward to playing it.

The one game that really put me off dubbing was Final Fantasy Ten it kind of ruins a dramatic scene when a line is really badly delivered.

Guess I wont bother with the undub especially if you cannot sub the cutscenes

Jack_frostFTW has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »
The  dubbing in P3 is top notch. I don't say that about just any dubbed game either. The voices for the characters are perfect in my opinion. I can understand dubbing bias in some cases but not when it relates to Persona 3. I wouldn't Fret Jack-frostFTW. You're gonna love it!

Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »
Yeah, I'd not get worried either. It's up in the top segment of game voice acting easily to begin with... and from what I've personally heard the voices are pretty good matches to their Japanese originals. Even the weird Mysterious Boy.

Doublehex

View Profile Email
doublehex@gmail.com doublehex168
Doublehex phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 10:00:51 PM »
Quote from: Tony;4709
Yeah, I'd not get worried either. It's up in the top segment of game voice acting easily to begin with... and from what I've personally heard the voices are pretty good matches to their Japanese originals. Even the weird Mysterious Boy.

Well, Mysterious Boy and Fuuka are up for large debate.

Doublehex has 9 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:20:14 PM »
Not really. I find them all fitting.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Jesus Jones
When I think about you I touch myself

View Profile Email
Jesus Jones phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »
I prefer either english VA, or no VA at all.  

I don't necessarily dislike Japanese VA, but I am not Japanese, I don't understand Japanese and Japanese VA does absolutely nothing for me.

I am about half way through P3 and the dub is great.  If people are complaining about it then they would probably complain about any dub regardless of its quality.

Jesus Jones has 45 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »
Quote from: Doublehex;4722
Well, Mysterious Boy and Fuuka are up for large debate.

Well, whether or not you simply just like the voice of Mysterious Boy is not what I was getting at. I think it fits him, but people get a weird vibe from it (which is purposeful, I'm sure). The point was more that it basically sounds extremely similar to the Japanese voice actor, which I imagine is what would be the best to strive for if you want to remain more "true" to the Japanese version.

Fuuka I wasn't too fond of at first, but she kind of warms up to the role as the game wears on I think.

Error

View Profile Email
Error phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »
the only voice I'm iffy about is Ken's voice. specially when he says "oh crap" that doesn't fit his shy/timid personality at all, should have been something like "Im really sorry for that"

the rest of the cast is great, yeah at first I wasnt sure about the mysterious boy voice, but it grew on me same Fuuka's

Error has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 02:28:01 PM »
Ken's voice is the same woman that does "Oral" in the Moral Oral Christianity spoof.(either that or they  sound ALOT alike.) What is odder still Ken looks like Oral. lol. I found  that funny but still warmed up to Ken as a character. He does after all sound and act like someone his age. Shinjiro's voice actor  sounds hauntingly similar to Alucard from castlevania sotn. Not sure if it is the same guy but it could be. I had no problems with Fuuka's voice or anyone elses. They fit  the roles. Pharos was creepy but he is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:04:41 PM by nightsavior »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: