DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:48:11 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So who has there copy of P3 (Read 47567 times)
Tokubetsu EX
O' God, The Aftermath

View Profile Email
duomaxwell32@hotmail.com Tokubetsu EX
Tokubetsu EX phones it in,
 « Reply #30 on: August 16, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »
16 hours in already, so awesome. I just can't resist Chihiro even though I want Mitsuru.

Some Things Just Never Burn, Some Giants Just Never Fall.

Tokubetsu EX has 25 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #31 on: August 17, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
Quote from: Tokubetsu EX;4623
16 hours in already, so awesome. I just can't resist Chihiro even though I want Mitsuru.

[SPOILER]Seriously, Mitsuru is so far off by comparison (you really have to work to get to that point) that you could probably finish all of Chihiro's segments before it's even an option lol.[/SPOILER]

Personally, I'm mostly a fan of Yuko.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 11:19:52 PM »
Man this game is great. I can finally put my full attention to it now that I'm content with DDS2. Damn Shiva, Vishnu and Seth just didn't die:P, took me a whole day and trained up to level 91, when I wanted to just finish it off at 80. But, man, was that a cool saga.
Anyway, Persona 3 is great. I'm no fan of the musical direction, but I do catch myself bobbing my head. Cool how Atlus managed to pull me in on music I'm not even fond of.

And Yukari would have to be my favorite character as of now.

Now that I think about it; ever since I played SMT titles, especially Nocturne on hard for my first time=p. Most of the RPGs I look back to, that aren't SMT titles, were really easy. I never really walked around in any other RPG series thinking "Man, I could easily get destroyed in the next battle, and I haven't saved for an hour.... Shit. Where the hell's the save!??"  I haven't died in Persona 3 yet, but I remember reading that it gets harder. So, thanks goes to Atlus for kicking my ass, and making me like it after>_>...

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 10:57:12 AM »
It's "who has their copy," not "there copy." cop Grammar police.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
Jessicat
Cat In A Dragon Suit

FemaleView Profile WWW
Dragon Fanatic
Jessicat phones it in,
 « Reply #34 on: August 18, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
whee, I got mine yesterday :D actually havent played it yet, read the manual and flipped through the art book while listening to the ost first XD My ps2 has a serious case of dying, so it might be difficult to play if it freezes on me >_> gotta invest in a region-free version, lol

The gate is open; it's time to raise some Hell!

Jessicat has 181 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #35 on: August 18, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »
Got it yesterday and here is 100% spoiler free thoughts on it! It is the chunk of my ign reader review. Pardon any minor grammar errors.

Chances are your relationship is a love or hate affair with Atlus. They publish many of the most innovative  and  original rpgs to date but also some of the most frustrating challenging ones as well.

If you have no  idea "what" MegaTen is I'd say Persona 3 is one of the best introductions to the "goddess reborn" alternate universe you are going to get.

Imagine you are a transfer student coming to a new high school. Like anyone else your  age you like chilling with your head phones and having  a good time. The only problem is weird unexplainable deaths and occurences start happening around you. The cause of this is the "Dark hour" a hidden time in which most people go into stasis and demon-like "shadows" seep into our reality to prey on souls under spiritual and emotional pressure. As  expected for some reason your main character can be awake during this time thus he is recruited by a special squad of other "awakened teenagers" to dish out an ass kicking to the forces of evil like Ashe from Army of darkness. Oddly enough each character has a spiritual manifestation called a "persona" and the only  way to call your alter egos forth is by taking a hand gun looking magic expelling "evoker" and shooting yourself in the head with it. Sound emo inspired? Don't worry evokers aren't "real guns" and no brains get splattered all over upholstery.

The thing that stands  out from Persona 3 is you do have to live the life of  a normal  high school  student  and what friendships you make and clubs you join has a direct effect over the main Personas your character can create,how powerful they are, and what stat bonuses you get in battles. Want to be that angsty loner elitist type? Well unfortunately being a socialpathic invert isn't a good idea in Persona 3. You "need" to have good friends to get by and there's no shame in being a shoulder to lean on or lending a helping hand to others. Personally I liked this approach. It is a positive message and encourages you to give a damn about those around you.

At night your average high school turns into a dark tower called "Tautarus". This is where all the shadows emerge and the higher you get in the tower the more of its mysteries are exposed to you. Unlike random encounter rpgs you can see the enemies slogging around. If you attack them first it is an equal footing match. If you sneak up on them and bash them from behind you get the advantage then again if they do the same to you they get to go first. As expected every enemy has an elemental weakness to exploit and the rewards of winning include loot or more persona cards so you can fuse them later to create more powerful alter egos. Only your main character can access the Velvet room and this is where all your personas are stored and evolved.

All this would still be somewhat mediocre if the cast of heroes sucked but lucky for you the rag-tag group of  characters are lovable and have great voice talent behind them. Depending on your choices your romantic and friendly relations with your comrades will go in different directions so unlike the painfully Linear rpgs there is a feeling that "you" have control over your destiny.

The music is a mix of creepy goth techno, orchestra scores and opera vocals,as well as upbeat hip-hop. In any other game this would be off key but in Persona 3 an rpg that emphasizes being young, alive, and filled with energy the tacks are perfect.

Last of all and most important to any  of you that found other MegaTen games too hard with a focus only on level grinding fret not! There is an "easy" setting and even the "normal" mode has  a forgiving learning curve. True save points can be far between "but" any one with common sense can manuever around this hardship by stacking up items,making healing requests while having conversations with other friends during exploration,and taking quick "re-track portals" back to the safe zone when the adventure party starts getting tired.

There's so much more to this game I'm not telling you because I could  write a whole book on how wonderful,nostalgic,and fun it is to me. I played it the first night 12 whole hours without stopping. The only people that would hate Persona 3 are those that have forsaken rpgs all together or have some sort of weird bias against modern Japanese culture. For the rest of you enjoy! It was worth the wait!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 05:39:58 PM by nightsavior »

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #36 on: August 19, 2007, 11:51:42 AM »
Is it really like "dish{ing} out an ass kicking to the forces of evil like Ashe from Army of Darkness?"

You might want to think about editing that bit.  Just a suggestion...

Icy Ace
Archduke of Giant Robots

View Profile Email
bane_of_sanity@hotmail.com Cielo Dyaus
Icy Ace phones it in,
 « Reply #37 on: August 19, 2007, 02:53:07 PM »
Just got the game a couple days ago, absolutely loving it so far.

"An army of squirrels is still an army" - Squirrel Mob, Magic the Gathering.

Icy Ace has 12 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 04:29:19 PM »
It's been great so far.

But a problem outside of the game has arisen for me.
I could be completly wrong about how well this game is selling, which I don't really know, but I'm sure it's the best sales a SMT title has gotten. If the game sells a lot, that'll be great. Atlus will most likely port more SMT titles over. But with that, I hope they don't tone the quality of the stories, content and difficulty down to catter to the large (RPG sense large, since JRPGs aren't the biggest genre in the US) crowd. I just hope they get sales and they keep the same level of quality I've seen so far in Nocturne, DDS1&2 and in what I've seen in Persona 3. I have faith that Atlus wouldn't do that.

By the way, how many prints of Persona 3 is Atlus planning to run? If they've said anything about it.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 03:29:51 PM »
I hope the same Neao. If people let this game slip by their radar something is not right upstairs. I've been a bit discouraged because right not their are so very few "reader reviews" or "reader opinions" on the game from mainstream forums and sites. Most I see is  comments such as "man, I wish I had P3", "P3? what's it like?", "The game store only had 3 copies.", or "I can't find P3 anywhere!". Methinks once again the mainstream made a stupid move in underplaying such an innovative title .

Honestly Persona 3 is one of the few MegaTen games  that could appeal to a large group as  opposed to just a small dedicated cult following.

Lastly I'm glad you can make your own choices in P3. As much as  I enjoyed Digital Devil  saga it was very linear and more often or not a level grinding rpg that emphasized battles much more then socializing and exploring.

Hyuuga

View Profile Email
Hyuuga phones it in,
 « Reply #40 on: August 31, 2007, 06:58:39 AM »
Already got it 5 days ago xP. I'm at the summer vacation right now.

Hyuuga has 3 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Starion

View Profile Email
Starion phones it in,
 « Reply #41 on: September 01, 2007, 08:36:54 AM »
I just got P3 yesterday, the game is great, the art book amazing, and the soundtrack is ok. But I still like the first Persona better.

Starion has 1 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #42 on: September 01, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »
I was frusterated by gameplay of the first Persona. It had a much harsher learning curve then again if you are a challenge junky that maybe a blessing in disguise. It has been years since I played Persona 1 and I confess to missing it greatly despite a few flaws. As I recall when most of my friends were dry humping FF 7 I was trying to beat Revelations. lol.  The "evil little girl' and "giant robo-rat" were cool bosses.

I wanted "joker's curse" too but finding a copy  of Persona 2 in American game-stores was near impossible.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #43 on: February 21, 2008, 10:40:47 PM »
Quote from: nightsavior;4932

I wanted "joker's curse" too but finding a copy  of Persona 2 in American game-stores was near impossible.

Innocent Sin?  I got mine from a local import store here in town, however you could probably find a "Playstation Best" edition from a Japanese electronics import site like Play-Asia or National Console Support.

Claudio

View Profile Email
Claudio phones it in,
 « Reply #44 on: February 22, 2008, 02:58:56 AM »
I'm going to play pal edition because i don't want to wait for expeditions and swap magic now that Ps2 is at the end of his life,
I think that i will miss some games Like .hack GU and FES(that i red is really frustating, no Demonic Compendium, no Sim simulator) but whatever..

Claudio has 10 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: