DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:17:25 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System (Read 28383 times)
hinatachan

View Profile Email
hinatachan phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 07:05:02 PM »
Why is Vaan the main character?? he isn't even needed..:S

hinatachan has 27 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »
Quote from: Stack Bundles;4226
I'd buy this again.

Ditto. This character limit is annoying.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 04:57:33 PM »
Quote from: hinatachan;4237
Why is Vaan the main character?? he isn't even needed..:S

It's Ashe's story told through his eyes.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »
I think the tragedies Ashe suffered would have made for a fantastic narrative. At least it's vastly more interesting than Vaan's pirate ambition. His "I want to be an adventure" motto is so typical of heroes. Ashe's kingdom fell and her husband died, which served as a surprisingly dark intro to a final fantasy. Great storyline anyways, but I think Ashe would have been a better choice as the main character. It would have been the first Final Fantasy with a strong female lead. (FFX2 did have a female cast, but they were pretty silly to me.)

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 09:09:05 PM »
His "I want to be an adventure" motto is so typical of heroes.

Yes and no. He did it without being a whiny obnoxious bitch.

Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »
Quote from: Kakizaki;4294
Yes and no. He did it without being a whiny obnoxious bitch.

It's a tagline for many shounen stories though. Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, so on and so forth in anime; Skies of Arcadia, Final Fantasy IX, and some others when it comes to games. Many have gotten tired of it and many of these types of characters aren't whiny bitches.

Himuro has 151 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »
I find the Vaan bashing cliched. That is all. I didn't say they did something fresh. Hence the 'yes and no.'

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 10:33:07 PM »
I'm not bashing Vaan per se. The only problem is that he is birthed from a mold tirelessly reused. Nothing was particularly wrong with him.  In fact he was a great character in his own right, but I do think Ashe would have been a fantastic, and better main character. She wasn't a princess in distress whom needs rescue and her back story is filled with awesome story material. Vaan on the other hand was a very happy, optimistic character without a shade of grief. Ashe seemed more dynamic to me.

Oh and what was this topic about again. :P

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:41:18 PM by CountDofChinatown »

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 10:34:53 PM »
I honestly don't mind this sort of thing after years of drama and angsty lead characters. I like when they actually enjoy what they're doing honestly. I loved Skies of Arcadia for it. Obviously that's going to get played out again too (apparently it has for some people already), but I'd sure as hell want to play as Vaan than, say, Haseo from .hack //G.U.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 10:43:24 PM »
One of my friends keeps pushing me to play G.U., but I can't. Rented it once and that was enough for me.

Also,      HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONY!! WOOOO!
Just noticed on the member birthday notification.

nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 12:09:52 AM »
Well I'm glad the game actually got enough positive attention to have an overhaul remake done. So many of my FF biased friends were like "Anything suxxorz next to the glory of FF-7!" . Personally FF 12 is my favorite in the series or at the very least tied with FF 6.

However as much as I admire Vossler I'd doubt I'd drop another  $40.00 for a few new perks.

Btw I'm nighty! Sorry for the lack of introduction but I still haven't found that topic thread.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:12:43 AM by nightsavior »

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 11:26:23 AM »
Quote from: CountDofChinatown;4290
It would have been the first Final Fantasy with a strong female lead. (FFX2 did have a female cast, but they were pretty silly to me.)

A proper FF with a lead female? Are you mad?!

I don't understand why SE don't have a FF (an actual one) with a female character. It's not like they'd get criticised for it (one would hope) so why not? It's obvious the story is about Ashe - after all, Vaan wanted to be a pirate and hated the empire, not to restore the throne.

If the story was seen through Vaan's eyes, then it was a pretty poor narrative. I don't ever remember hear Vaan saying (a la Tidus) his thoughts on the journey. All I remember are those bits where Ashe was looking at ruined Nabudis with Vaan skulking up behind her (which were never explained). And what was with those aliens? The ones near the end? What the flaming hell was that all bout?

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Doesn't FFXIII have a female lead?

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 04:16:49 PM »
Funny I actually saw Ashe and Balthier as the leads. It was hard for me to place Van in the role of the "lead hero" though I know that is what the designers intended. Lycan has a point. Everything would have made more sense if Ashe would have been  assigned the lead role. I'm not bashing Van . He's a great character despite the harsh criticism he has gotten but I was still more intrigued with Ashe.

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »
In the FFXIII trailer it shows that girl doing somersaults, but I don't know if she is the main character. Or that black-glad bloke with the wires.

I can see when people say they like Vaan for the "just going along for the ride"ness. I like my lead characters to have a bit more depth to them though - a bit more a link to what's happening around them, however the scenes when Vaan and Penelo kidded around with each other when they got to a new place were quite heartwarming - shame there weren't enough of them.

To be honest, I'm the sort of FF-player that loved Squall (loved his story to bits), so Vaan was never going to click with me.

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: