DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:51:39 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on the earlier Personas (Read 10783 times)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « on: August 03, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
So, with the upcoming release of Persona 3, I was wondering how the other Persona games are. I have been searching which next SMT titles I can get, and I found Persona 1 and 2 to be the easiest to get next. I doubt I'll be able to find SMT 1 and 2, unless I'm just not looking in the right spots. So, how are Persona 1 and 2?

And is the plot very close between the two installments of Persona 2. Or does the fact that one wasn't released in America hinder the one that was released here?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 08:19:19 PM by Neao »

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:30:59 PM »
The original Persona is archaic in some ways at this point. It's not aged super well to begin with, but the awful translation does not help whatsoever. I think it's a good game, but keep this in mind. In some ways I wish this was re-translated by some fan group, but I doubt it'll happen.

As for Eternal Punishment, it's probably my favorite PSX RPG. The translation is much improved (although far from great) and a lot of the elements that aged so poorly in Persona were improved upon.

As for the whole IS/EP thing, obviously keep in mind that IS is not always very easy to find, even on eBay. I really got lucky with it when I got my copy. Plus the Oracle if Maiya translation that is available is not absolutely complete. It makes the game playable, but the extra frustration of having to read everything off paper you printed can be a bit much sometimes.

Storywise, it really doesn't matter. EP does make some references to "deja vu" and characters reappear, but it's completely playable and easy to understand without having played IS.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 08:49:18 PM »
I haven´t played Persona 1 but Persona 2 Batsu and Tsumi are both good games, in story and gameplay the three games have a linear connection. This games are not the best in graphics but they sure have a lot of Fun Factor (at least for me). Since Persona 2 Batsu was my first megaten game, I can say, the Persona series are the best in story and many other factors.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »
Thanks guys, and you really cleared that up for me Tony:).

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 09:58:03 PM »
I liked how you had conversations with the demons to get their spell cards in P1, it was funny.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Jesus Jones
When I think about you I touch myself

View Profile Email
Jesus Jones phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
Persona feels pretty clunky, and as Tony already mentioned, archaic.  

Persona 2 got most everything right where Persona had been lacking. Although, I always felt like the battle system was unbalanced and favored the spell combo system a little to much.  But that is a single flaw in what is otherwise a great game.

The gap between the two persona 2 games is fairly large.  There are many references, flashbacks and story segments that you won't get if you haven't played (or at least read about) innocent sin.  But, I agree with Tony that actually getting the references ect. is not necessary to enjoy EP.

Jesus Jones has 45 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »
If I were to get EP, is there somewhere I could read about IS that would give me a good deal of information about it? I read the summary of IS and it really interested me, also it kinda of mad me angry that it didn't port over.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »
Here you can find good information about the characters. But watch out, it have a lot of spoilers.

http://www.chthonian.net/persona/tsumi/characters/

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 05:05:46 PM »
I want to know as much about IS as I can if I get EP, so thanks for the link.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: