DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:18:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 3 Reviews (Read 48254 times)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 03:56:12 PM »
Persona 3 got 8.5, 9.5, and 9.5 and ended up with game of the month in the latest EGM

Himuro has 151 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Yamiblade

View Profile Email
Yamiblade phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:18 PM »
I guess there's hope for FES after all

Yamiblade has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 07:39:18 AM »
I hope so, too!

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Tokubetsu EX
O' God, The Aftermath

View Profile Email
duomaxwell32@hotmail.com Tokubetsu EX
Tokubetsu EX phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
Apparently it got a 9.0 and game of the month in PSM as well.

Some Things Just Never Burn, Some Giants Just Never Fall.

Tokubetsu EX has 25 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 10:32:17 PM »
It's getting a lot of attention, some people I know are getting this game because of all these reviews.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 02:40:27 PM »
That is really good to hear,these good reviews are really helping P3 out.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Tetsuya
Wicked Apple

View Profile Email
Tetsuya phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 03:22:36 PM »
It's too bad they don't help it to come out sonner. ;P

Labyrinth of sympathy in which I'm lost and can't leave
And too much truth overshadows the lime lies
Cos' what lies beneath the clouds is an
Altered perception and I'll pay for sanity
But sanity don't come cheap

Tetsuya has 39 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 04:48:25 PM »
Heh,no kidding.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »
Here's the first bad P3 review by Tom Chick.

http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/news/340/

"If there’s one thing I’ve had my fill of more than healing potions, it’s a “Game Over” screen that sends me back to my last save."

This a horrible complaint.

"But Persona 3 is far too typical a JRPG to hold my interest. Which I grant says more about me than Persona 3. "

Someone please tell me of a jrpg released in America that is anything like P3?

"Which brings me to the combat system. It’s entirely typical of a JRPG. I match attack types against vulnerability types to do extra damage. How long I last in a dungeon is mainly a function of how quickly characters get tired"

Please tell me of other jrpgs where your characters eventually get tired, causing them to take more damage after a period of time, Mr. Chick. Contradiction.

"a contrived time limit that will drag out the dungeon crawling over the course of the game"

Importers and reviewers say that party members get less tired the stronger they get. Good job at playing it for 5 hours.

"I have no idea which I’m supposed to choose. None of those is a strong choice, or even a particularly informative choice. They don’t indicate any sort of character or personality. Bioware, for instance, would split the answers between the obvious good, neutral, and puppy-kicking replies. But in Persona 3, I can’t see the pattern."

And this is a bad thing? One of the worst things about Bioware games is that the choices are so black and white and predictable.

Error

View Profile Email
Error phones it in,
 « Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »
none of his complaints bother me, lack of save points in the dungeon? that dude would've gone crazy playing Nocturne.

Error has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
I can basically respond to all of these lol.

By the way, the title of his review is "The First and Last Five Hours of Persona 3".

Some might take this as him meaning the actual last five hours of the game, but it's clear he means he played five hours and was sick of it.

Thus this isn't so much a review as complain fest by someone who invested no time into the game. I think this is fair in a way. Not every one is going to like it... but at the same time, I wonder why any site would publish something to this effect and want to be taken seriously.

"If there’s one thing I’ve had my fill of more than healing potions, it’s a “Game Over” screen that sends me back to my last save."
Play Easy mode.
"But Persona 3 is far too typical a JRPG to hold my interest. Which I grant says more about me than Persona 3. "
In some ways it is a typical JRPG, but it makes me wonder why this guy of all people was given the game to review in the first place. It arguably does more different things than any recent JRPG of note, however.

Instantly gives the impression that he was looking to complain about this game before he played it, in my opinion.

"Which brings me to the combat system. It’s entirely typical of a JRPG. I match attack types against vulnerability types to do extra damage. How long I last in a dungeon is mainly a function of how quickly characters get tired"
It's true that this is how the battle system works, but at their heart, every game is based upon this. Taking advantage of weaknesses is a basic component of any game with an adversary. I can play a FPS and some guns work better than others. I mean, what is really the point here? This is no less true of RPGs not from Japan.

I think his comment of being tired doesn't matter until this next comment.

"a contrived time limit that will drag out the dungeon crawling over the course of the game"
You get tired fast at first. This was something I was concerned about for the first few hours, but not later on. Even like 7 to 10 hours in, I have never really had a problem getting tired in a dungeon at all. If I do it's probably well after I've completed my main goals. He wouldn't know this. He played 5 hours total.

I get the impression that this reviewer simply didn't know how to balance these things out. Every thing you do over the course of the day can make you tired. If you're bloating out the day with strenuous activities, not making sure to rest when you do feel poorly and study at night instead... you're going to get screwed in the dungeons.

If this is something that significantly bothers you after several hours in I would really suggest altering how you treat your character. I mean, seriously, I've barely taken this into consideration since after the first few hours. The stronger you get, the longer you last it seems. And it's a significant increase pretty fast.

Combining these two "tired" comments with his seemingly general disdain for JRPGs, but are mostly fended off by him playing five hours of it total.

"I have no idea which I’m supposed to choose. None of those is a strong choice, or even a particularly informative choice. They don’t indicate any sort of character or personality. Bioware, for instance, would split the answers between the obvious good, neutral, and puppy-kicking replies. But in Persona 3, I can’t see the pattern."
In some ways I can understand this. There are times when you will not be sure of which of the things to say is positive and some responses do seem very general... but at the same time, it's not really an issue because these characters don't all want to hear what might be construed as the most positive thing.

If you spend any time at all reading what they say, understanding their basic personalities and seeing their reactions to things you've said previously you will quickly figure out what is likely the best things to say to them in any given situation.

For example, there's a guy on the sports team who likes to put up a tough front. Even after one conversation you'll notice he doesn't like sappy responses. Choices are always followed with a "___ seems embarrassed, or ____ seems disappointed" or "____ seems reassured".

So, in this case, it becomes clear that you might tell him to "Suck it up" if he is moaning or that he can use your shoulder if he's too hurt to walk as opposed to you literally trying to pick him up.

I really don't think this is a concern if you bother to read into it. If you read his whole "review", his point comes off more valid that it does by random quotes... but even still. His one example is not enough to properly gauge the character and there are situations where none of the choices is more beneficial than the other whatsoever.

Admittedly your choices are never that complex, which I'm thinking is more of his complaint than anything else. I think that is a fair one.

Again, I think the guy went into this with a bias, felt it was validated by his limited time with it and complained about the game so he could move on to the next thing. This is more of an impressions article than anything else.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Sounds good, Tony. How far in are you?

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »
Quote from: Himuro;3978
Sounds good, Tony. How far in are you?

I'd probably say 18 to 20 hours. Working at home has its benefits.

Also, I edited in the fact that this "review" is more a hands on of the five hours the guy wanted to put into it before he gave up on it entirely. xd

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 06:09:47 PM »
Heh, it sounds like the game kicked his @$$.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Error

View Profile Email
Error phones it in,
 « Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 06:36:09 PM »
Quote from: Tony
For example, there's a guy on the sports team who likes to put up a tough front. Even after one conversation you'll notice he doesn't like sappy responses. Choices are always followed with a "___ seems embarrassed, or ____ seems disappointed" or "____ seems reassured".

So, in this case, it becomes clear that you might tell him to "Suck it up" if he is moaning or that he can use your shoulder if he's too hurt to walk as opposed to you literally trying to pick him up.
that's pretty cool

Error has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: