DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:47:16 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona Portable! Lets do it ourselves! (Read 33681 times)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
Quote from: minotaurus;2648
Haha! Do you imagine what would have happened if the Persona series creators would say : "Oh no! Lets not publish persona! We are in risk that no one likes it!" You cant know anything until you try =)

Good point! You dont know something until you try it.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007, 07:51:36 PM »
Yeah, but you should still try to make it appealing to the audience.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 10:27:50 PM »
Good point! You dont know something until you try it.

A skilled development team with access to vast amounts of resources and dev. units versus a fan project with limited skill and, most likely, zero programming prowess = not the same thing.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Virgofenix

View Profile Email
Virgofenix phones it in,
 « Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 06:14:57 AM »
Sorry if I bring this old thread up, but do you guys know what development tools Atlus used?

Virgofenix has 3 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 11:40:06 AM »
Weird thread(?)

You can emulate it with homebrew software or buy P1 on Sony's PS1 to PSP ported virtual market thingy.

Just for the record, I happen to possess the required experience to sit under any position on Atlus' payroll. Producing a video game is a major undertaking requiring many human lifetimes according contemporary convention.

You could always try summoning a game!

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Virgofenix

View Profile Email
Virgofenix phones it in,
 « Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 06:51:32 AM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;5339
Producing a video game is a major undertaking requiring many human lifetimes according contemporary convention.

AFAIK, isn't that depending on the maturity of the dev. tools used and the scope of the project?

I'm curious to know why some games reach the budget of high-profile Holloywood movies. I can understand why high-profile games like Final Fantasy (esp. X) and Unreal Tournament have large budgets considering that their development tools were made in-house (in UT's case, actually even licensed to other developers).

What dev. tools and language/s did Atlus use for Persona 3?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:16:29 PM by Virgofenix »

Virgofenix has 3 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lord Stevero Kennedy
Strategic Man of Honor

View Profile Email
Lord Stevero Kennedy phones it in,
 « Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 06:52:13 AM »
I never read this before....
uh... I don't think it will go either,
HOWEVER
I do wish you luck if your that determined

Lord Stevero Kennedy has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
Quote from: Virgofenix;5342
AFAIK, isn't that depending on the maturity of the dev. tools used and the scope of the project?

I'm curious to know why some game reach the budget of high-profile Holloywood movies. I can understand why high-profile games like Final Fantasy (esp. X) and Unreal Tournament have large budgets considering that their development tools were made in-house (in UT's case, actually even licensed to other developers).

What dev. tools and language/s did Atlus use for Persona 3?

I'm sure Atlus used the standard tools. Very costly modeling suite licenses for artists and image processing suites for illustrators. A PS2 assembler and maybe a c++ compiler for stock code, pretty bare bones stuff. Console development is a fairly archaic process. Of course the reason games cost more than blockbuster movies is asset development. It takes hundreds of artists working round the clock for a few years to produce a contemporary big budget game. The programming can actually be managed by a small team generally, and is rarely very creative. Its abouot 99% asset generation as far as actual work is concerned.

This system isn't scalable though and will break in short order, so I happen to be involved developing software which will let small indie teams do the same thing, but they have to work as part of a global community freely sharing their collective assets if they want to be competitive or beat the system so to speak. I also work on sophisticated systems which manage scalable detail procedurally, which should take a lot of burden off the back of detail artists.

Of course none of this will cure the creativity deficit in the industry. Hopefully once indie outlets prove competitive there will follow a renaissance of artistic integrity. Thats all I have to say. The tools don't exist, because the industry is extremely knuckle headed.

Angelbane

View Profile Email
Angelbane phones it in,
 « Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 11:38:09 PM »
Quote from: Tony;2578
Unfortunately, I don't know that anyone that regularly visits here really has the skill necessary to actually make a game. RPGMaker is one thing, but its design makes doing anything in the style of Persona extremely difficult. I suppose you could attempt it, but I doubt it would work out well.

Beyond that, there's always firmware modding your PSP and actually running an ISO of Persona or Persona 2.

Ehh, I might be able to do something. I'm in my first year of college. I'm learning to do it now. My future occupation will hopefully be a videogame programmer.

Angelbane has 7 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #39 on: October 21, 2007, 06:31:20 PM »
Uhm, don't mean to break this to ye...but this is a really bad idea, simply because its really never gonna work...

Why?  Because along the way...you guys will lose interest.  Thats just how it goes.

How many projected fangames are out there?  How many *finished* fangames are out there?  How many *decent*, finished fangames are out there?  The numbers severely dwindle with each question, ya?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #40 on: October 21, 2007, 08:28:58 PM »
Plus it is illegal! But Japan is pretty lax about that. AtlusUSA however might see things differently. I have a pseudo fan game in the works myself, though it has no connection to Megaten other than if you like Megaten, you might like it. Even at that, someone said my material was being investigated by AtlusUSA, which means they might be more paranoid!

I will finish my game eventually. It is a professionally polished game, but it is extremely abstract and stripped down, so if you are not into independent styled  games you probably wouldn't appreciate it. The game system itself is superior to any Megaten game, or any RPG I think, and the game itself, besides being a fun hobby on the side for myself, is sort of a way of advertising the gameplay in the end I'm thinking.

It will be a combination of webpages and a Java applet requiring Opengl modules, but is presently on vacation from development, and I need to find a new host for its storage heavy internet prescence first.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:37:15 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: