DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:46:08 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: your favorite RPG's (Read 57658 times)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #60 on: July 16, 2007, 10:40:38 PM »
Quote from: Stack Bundles;3530

Also, what does OS being developed by Vanillaware, a relatively unheard of company, have to do with anything? Just because they've never been heard of by most people doesn't mean they couldn't possibly develop a better game than R&D1. Pedigree, or lack thereof, does not determine a title's quality.

What I was getting at by saying that is, I have no idea if I should expect a game as high quality as SMT: N, which I've played, from this company without playing it. Who knows, I could end up hating it, all the reviews and critics (even though I don't normally listen to them, and this is all hypothetical as I think I'd love OS from it's premise) could be wrong. With a game series such as SMT, which, I've heard and read has many great titles and mess ups, but what series doesn't mess up? How wouldn't I assume, I mean really, that a singular game doesn't rack up to ALL of them in worth(not JUST the recent ones and not JUST the old ones). Of course OS is going to be better than some other games in the series, but a total worth, it won't be. What I was finally trying to get at is, this game got attention. Whereas a series like SMT, with games in the series that both are incredible and bad didn't(Of course, I'd like to discern for myself which are bad and good, but I won't get the chance to play them all). Now I haven't played every SMT, not even close. But I'm assuming, and I could be wrong, but I believe I'm not. As a whole, the SMT series is better than OS.

I'm not saying OS is a bad game. I'd probably love it from what I've heard it did. It sounds intriguing, and I'd like to try it out. But my question is, why did this random game get so much coverage? When so many other great games get overlooked. Luck could be the only answer, they (Vanillaware) pleased the right people, I guess.
Just to clarify, I don't believe that a company that hasn't made a name for itself has no talent. Everyone has to start from somewhere. Who knows, Vanillaware could be the next SE.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #61 on: July 17, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »
You could go round and round with a lot of this stuff anyway. It's all opinion. DDS and DS:KR were hardly amazing games, but I have a hard time saying OS is either. For me it became too repetitive before I was even finished with the first character and it really never came back. All of the characters play pretty much the same except for one.

I would say that if OS is better in any way or "higher quality" it is by only a small degree that I don't feel is even worth mentioning. Meanwhile, I know there are people who think it's one of the best games on the PS2. It just has aspects of it that are going to turn off some people, but will simultaneously make other people fall in love with it.

Vanilla Ware has made other games, however, including the original Princess Crown, which is quite similar to this in many ways and highly regarded by many. They do have a good pedigree, even if they're far from prolific.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #62 on: July 17, 2007, 04:32:18 PM »
It sounds intriguing, and I'd like to try it out. But my question is, why did this random game get so much coverage? When so many other great games get overlooked.

Because in this day and age 2-D titles, specifically detailed 2D titles, are rare, and even rarer in the U.S. It was nice that one was the recipient of some attention for once. The fact that some media outlets raise Princess Crown up on a pedistal helps a little too. What titles are being overlooked due to OS?

Now I haven't played every SMT, not even close. But I'm assuming, and I could be wrong, but I believe I'm not. As a whole, the SMT series is better than OS.

I get what you are saying, but that is one confusing comment. Again, the concern is that the last several titles (I'm not counting P3,......yet) in the SMT line have been subpar imo. If it was an intermittent occurence I would be less concerned, but it hasn't been. I'm also I bit confused considering that you haven't even played Odin Sphere. If I am correct in my assumption that you haven't played it, don't you think it would be wise to withhold such a statement?

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #63 on: July 17, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
I saw some trailers of Odin Sphere and I think it looks a good quality game, the type of art of the whole game is pretty good. But what I admit of the Megaten series from the ps 2, is that they become like too repetitive with the same demons in much of the titles. What I'm trying to say is that some demons appear in other Megaten games and with the same shape. Maybe that's what I dont look to good in the Megaten series.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #64 on: July 17, 2007, 06:36:43 PM »
Heh, I was confusing myself a bit too, Kakizaki. I have this sort of vague idea in my head, and I tried to put it into words. Guess I'll just drop it, and say which is better, in my eyes, when I've played them. I have the DDS's coming my way, and from what I've read about it, it'll probably be enjoyable. Add on to that I like Nocturne, and was told that I'd most likely like DDS if I enjoyed Nocturne. I think I'd rent OS, though from my recollection, I don't think I saw OS in blockbuster last time. (Which was a few weeks ago)

Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #65 on: July 17, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
Quote from: Emilio Morales;3546
But what I admit of the Megaten series from the ps 2, is that they become like too repetitive with the same demons in much of the titles. What I'm trying to say is that some demons appear in other Megaten games and with the same shape. Maybe that's what I dont look to good in the Megaten series.

This is nothing new for the series, Emilio. Megami Tensei has always recycled enemies with each new game. The problem with recent entries goes much deeper than a simple aesthetic concerning monster models.

Quote from: Neao;3551
Add on to that I like Nocturne, and was told that I'd most likely like DDS if I enjoyed Nocturne.

This could very well be true, as the two titles share definite similarities, but something important was missing from DDS. It's not a bad game, by any stretch, it's just half the game SMT3 was.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 07:40:42 PM by Stack Bundles »

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #66 on: July 17, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
Guess I'll just drop it, and say which is better, in my eyes, when I've played them.

Meh, I do the same all the time. ;) I was just curious as to why you felt the way you did.

I agree with SB's comment regarding SMT3 & DDS. DDS is a good jrpg, but an average to subpar SMT title imo.

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #67 on: July 17, 2007, 11:53:08 PM »
I'm curious, how many SMT titles have you played? (SB and Kakizaki) Since Nocturne and the DDS games are going to be my first SMT experiance, I'll most likely hold a fondness to them and like them more than, say for example, SMT 2, if I play it after DDS. Most likely giving me a different view of the game than you would have. Unless I just flat out don't like DDS, which I doubt I will. But, From what I'm seeing in videos of DDS has really gotten me geared to play it. And right now, I don't have the cash to go after any previous SMT games to see how this series evolved.

By the way, I read somewhere that the DDS games were released earlier on different systems, the NES I believe. Can someone enlighten me more about this. Was that statement true? And how good were those games compared to the current DDS? (If the statement is true, and you've played it.)

Tetsuya
Wicked Apple

View Profile Email
Tetsuya phones it in,
 « Reply #68 on: July 18, 2007, 02:51:55 AM »
No, they weren't - I'm sure it's Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei, the very first Megaten game that was based on three novels by Aya Nishitani, that you had in mind ("monogatari" can be translated as story or saga).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:54:07 AM by Tetsuya »

Labyrinth of sympathy in which I'm lost and can't leave
And too much truth overshadows the lime lies
Cos' what lies beneath the clouds is an
Altered perception and I'll pay for sanity
But sanity don't come cheap

Tetsuya has 39 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #69 on: July 18, 2007, 01:26:07 PM »
Quote from: Tetsuya;3568
No, they weren't - I'm sure it's Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei, the very first Megaten game that was based on three novels by Aya Nishitani, that you had in mind ("monogatari" can be translated as story or saga).

Ah, ok. Thanks:)

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #70 on: July 18, 2007, 04:55:20 PM »
By the way, I read somewhere that the DDS games were released earlier on different systems, the NES I believe. Can someone enlighten me more about this. Was that statement true?

I'm not even going to try and explain this. Read this first:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/megaten/megaten.htm
http://www.popanime.net/comp/

Hopefully one of those will explain the DDS confusion.

edit* Ah, I see someone already did kind of explain it. Nevermind.

I'm curious, how many SMT titles have you played? (SB and Kakizaki) Since Nocturne and the DDS games are going to be my first SMT experiance, I'll most likely hold a fondness to them and like them more than, say for example, SMT 2, if I play it after DDS.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I am even more confused on some of your earlier statements. I assumed you had at least played some SMT titles. As for me, I have played well over half of the titles in the SMT universe.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #71 on: July 18, 2007, 09:30:48 PM »
I have played a lot too, but the only problem is that the other "half" of games I haven't played them to complete them, they're too many to completing all at once. I guess...

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #72 on: July 18, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
Quote from: Kakizaki;3577

Not to beat a dead horse, but I am even more confused on some of your earlier statements. I assumed you had at least played some SMT titles. As for me, I have played well over half of the titles in the SMT universe.

I think I did say somewhere earlier that DDS would be my second experiance of SMT. But, whatever, just forget it. Let's not get more confused than we already are with the weird inputs I had.

Thanks for the answer. When I first saw DDS, on IGN, they said that DDS wasn't new, and it was released earlier. Guess they were confused with the names too, as now they are clearly wrong.

Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #73 on: July 19, 2007, 07:39:28 AM »
IGN is often wrong about many things.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #74 on: July 19, 2007, 02:43:47 PM »
That's what I've come to learn, in the past 2 years, after trying games out myself and finding out I like them more than some horrible score they gave it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: