DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:14:32 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: your favorite RPG's (Read 58046 times)
Avalon

View Profile Email
Avalon phones it in,
 « Reply #30 on: May 13, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »
SNES: Shin Megami Tensei II and Final Fantasy VI.
GEN: Shadowrun.
PSX: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre and Valkyrie Profile.
PS2: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.
PC: Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, Wizardry 8, Vampire: Bloodlines, Knights of the old Republic 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2.

Avalon has 21 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Jesus Jones
When I think about you I touch myself

View Profile Email
Jesus Jones phones it in,
 « Reply #31 on: May 13, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »
I really enjoyed Persona 2 EP and Valkyrie Profile as well.  Hopefully I will have time to play through Persona 2 again and take the alternative path before P3 comes out.

Fallout 2 is probably my second favorite pc game.

Jesus Jones has 45 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Oni-Kagura
You know, that one guy.

View Profile Email
Oni-Kagura phones it in,
 « Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 12:21:43 AM »
Quote from: Stack Bundles;2924
I haven't, but Atlus is localizing Growlanser V.

Yeah, I've heard. Growlanser II and III were brought over by Working Designs, but then they closed up business. Which was a sad day for me, because they were one of the few companies out there devoted to their fans. frown

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
 - Jules de Gaultier

Oni-Kagura has 35 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 01:19:11 AM »
Quote from: Oni-Kagura;2931
Yeah, I've heard. Growlanser II and III were brought over by Working Designs, but then they closed up business. Which was a sad day for me, because they were one of the few companies out there devoted to their fans. frown

What was the big deal about Working Designs? They never seemed all that great to me, and some of their games were too goddamn expensive, thanks to all the pointless garbage they would pack in.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »
^I know a few of us here probably think along the same lines. I really do like a few WD titles, but for the most part think they were really overrated.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Jesus Jones
When I think about you I touch myself

View Profile Email
Jesus Jones phones it in,
 « Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 05:28:11 PM »
Quote from: Heat;2933
What was the big deal about Working Designs? They never seemed all that great to me, and some of their games were too goddamn expensive, thanks to all the pointless garbage they would pack in.

I never even gave any of the crap they packed in with Lunar 1 & 2 a second look once I opened the box.  I would definitely have appreciated a standalone version with just the game ala WD's Growlanser 2 & 3 release.

Jesus Jones has 45 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »
I never even gave any of the crap they packed in with Lunar 1 & 2 a second look once I opened the box.

Neither did I. I remember thinking the cloth map in 1 was lame and had a putrid smell. I did like the manuals, but their binding could make them difficult to read.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #37 on: June 30, 2007, 09:12:15 PM »
Now that I think about it, aside from the SMT/Devil Summoner/DDS games all the console RPGs I like are pretty old.  Haven't seen much in the genre that really strikes my fancy.  I guess Odin Sphere looks okay but I really don't care much for that kind of character design.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 12:58:44 AM »
I never cared for Working Designs. Particularly how they'd fool around with the games themselves. For every worthwhile change they'd make some pretty boneheaded ones. I never found their translations to be all that special (particularly thanks to the jokes) and, to repeat others here, I never had a use for a single thing in those box sets.

The only real thing I got out of them was better resale value than I do for most other RPGs. I suppose that has some merit.

Quote from: DevilRy;3337
Now that I think about it, aside from the SMT/Devil Summoner/DDS games all the console RPGs I like are pretty old.  Haven't seen much in the genre that really strikes my fancy.  I guess Odin Sphere looks okay but I really don't care much for that kind of character design.

To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty mixed on the actual game itself. It's pretty and it's reasonably fun, but I'm almost amazed at some of the mainstream attention it's getting over, say, some of the SMT games that are arguably more involving and enjoyable.

I suppose you can't underestimate the power of 2D fandom.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 03:50:34 AM »
Quote from: Tony;3348

To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty mixed on the actual game itself. It's pretty and it's reasonably fun, but I'm almost amazed at some of the mainstream attention it's getting over, say, some of the SMT games that are arguably more involving and enjoyable.

I suppose you can't underestimate the power of 2D fandom.

I actually was surprised as well. You don't see many new RPGs that are not a running series or made/published by a very well known company get too much media attention. Yet, Odin Sphere is. I'm sure it won't get a huge boost in sales, but it will some, more than SMT will with future releases. And, most likely, the SMT series are probably higher quality games than Odin Sphere is. Although I will check out Odin Sphere when I can. The team that made Odin Sphere also made one other game, that I found listed. An odd game named GrimGrimoire, I haven't looked into it much, but the name itself is kinda weird as grimoires are books on magic, specifically black magic, which would be grim in the first place.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 12:05:05 PM »
And, most likely, the SMT series are probably higher quality games than Odin Sphere is

And you are basing this off of what? I'm not sure if I would call the last Devil Summoner a quality title.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #41 on: July 15, 2007, 12:45:11 PM »
I guess he is just saying what he think, "his opinion". For example I would say that the Megaten games are the best among the rpg's but that just my opinion and because I like the Megaten games the most, I'll say that they are good. I will say that there is no perfect game, they are good depending on the likes of the people who buy them and play them. A game that looks good for a lot of people can be looked like crap for me, or viceversa.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #42 on: July 15, 2007, 01:05:08 PM »
Emilio, please stop talking.

Anyway, Megami Tensei titles have dipped tremendously in quality over the past few years. We'll see if this trend has continued when P3 is released.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #43 on: July 15, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »
I guess he is just saying what he think, "his opinion".

I have no problem with someone expressing their opinion, but it is not unreasonable to ask how someone formulated that opinion.

BTW Emilio, what happened to your friend that posted here and then disappeared? Kind of strange huh?

Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #44 on: July 15, 2007, 02:39:01 PM »
He only comes when Emilio needs rescuing.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: