DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:11:09 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS or PSP (Read 74979 times)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #60 on: August 08, 2007, 12:39:45 PM »
When I said that, I generally meant in regards to my tastes. When I play portables, I want to play arcade games and games I can play over and over. DS has barely got shmups, worthwhile racing games, and the like. I prefer those over, say, adventure games when it comes to portable games, and especially big name franchises like Dragon Quest. I would rather play Dragon Quest IX on a tv than on a ds.

As for the games you bring up:

It's A Wonderful World - I don't like Nomura games. They're usually style over substance.

Contra IV - Contra IV is a possible buy, but that is not assured as of now because I'm wary of the developer. It's not by the people who made Shattered Soldier or Konami. No, it's developed by the people who brought us Sigma Star Saga and Ping Pals. Ugh.

FFCC:Rings of Fate - I think FFCC was average, so I don't really want to bother with the new game.

Front Mission - I'm not a Front Mission fan.

Phantom Hourglass - The touch controls look gimmicky and non Nintendo diehards have said that the game is pretty boring. I'd rather believe them than the Nintendo die hards.

Ninja Gaiden - This game looks horrible and gimmicky. It looks like they wanted to make a shooter in the Kikikaikai vein, but it looks so mind numbingly dull and boring. Why they opted to make it that instead of traditional side scroller Ninja Gaiden or an actually decent 3d Ninja Gaiden for the psp where they can actally use the technology to its advantage, I don't know.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:50:26 PM by Himuro »

Himuro has 151 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #61 on: August 08, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
Ah, I reside in the opposite camp. Not much of a fan of sports games or racing, except for Burnout or Hot Shots "Anything".

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #62 on: August 08, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
Quote from: aerozero;4155
Brave Story is good, one of the best RPGs on the PSP, definitely worth buying.

Awesome, I'll look forward to buying it.

I can see where Himuro is coming from in regards to Nindy fanboys. Many people on my course say the DS is brilliant and the PSP is shite. But guess what? They all own PSPs. I know three people that have DS' and around six people that have PSPs (excluding myself). Now, this is just my personal experience, but whenever I ask people why the DS is better, the answer usually is "Because Nintendo made it" or "The games are more original". In the end, it's all up the personal preference - I like playing RPGs, so I bought a PSP - but keep in mind this is the first handheld console Sony has made (I think) and I think it's doing pretty damn well against handheld veterans Nintendo and the DS.

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #63 on: August 08, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »
Quote from: CountDofChinatown;4191
Ah, I reside in the opposite camp. Not much of a fan of sports games or racing, except for Burnout or Hot Shots "Anything".

I hate normal sports games, unless they're Virtua Tennis (which is also on psp). I like ARCADE sports games. Things like Burnout and Wipeout put a smile on my face. Things like Hot Shots turn me into a Cheshire cat.

Quote from: Lycanthroat;4192
Awesome, I'll look forward to buying it.

I can see where Himuro is coming from in regards to Nindy fanboys. Many people on my course say the DS is brilliant and the PSP is shite. But guess what? They all own PSPs. I know three people that have DS' and around six people that have PSPs (excluding myself). Now, this is just my personal experience, but whenever I ask people why the DS is better, the answer usually is "Because Nintendo made it" or "The games are more original". In the end, it's all up the personal preference - I like playing RPGs, so I bought a PSP - but keep in mind this is the first handheld console Sony has made (I think) and I think it's doing pretty damn well against handheld veterans Nintendo and the DS.

From my experience people who say psp is "shit" are Nintendo fanboys and if that's the case, I usually don't even bother because there's no reasoning with a Nintendo fanboy.

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #64 on: August 08, 2007, 01:17:23 PM »
Quote from: Lycanthroat;4192
"The games are more original"

This is true, only because developers seem to be a bit more daring with ds titles. If psp received more support, games like Loco Rocco could become very common. It has the technical power to create numerous innovative physics games. Which seems to be the path developers choose if new gameplay options aren't available. The developer's pendulum swings towards whichever platform has the largest user base.

Quote from: Himuro;4195
Things like Burnout and Wipeout put a smile on my face. Things like Hot Shots turn me into a Cheshire cat.

To this day I'll occasionally pull out my saturn to play the original wipeout. The month Hot Shots Golf hits the US, is the month I buy a PS3.

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #65 on: August 08, 2007, 01:19:55 PM »
It's true that ds games are more original, but I don't think for a minute that original = better. It always depends on how it's delivered. In many cases, I've found that "original" games simply have original concepts, but the delivery often feels half assed and not to polished. Case in post: Okami, Bully;etc. ad infinitum.

Oh yeah, I forgot one that's coming to the psp that gets my pants tight: Castlevania Dracula X.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 01:23:41 PM by Himuro »

Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #66 on: August 08, 2007, 01:38:09 PM »
Quote from: CountDofChinatown;4203
This is true, only because developers seem to be a bit more daring with ds titles.

Good point, but some people mix up "original" with "extremely Japanese". It irritates me when people think that because it's Japanese it's super-special-awesome. Also, some games that have come over from Japan seem bizarre. There's one DS game - a waitress one where you have to deliver food or something (why would I want to play that?) - that seems alien to me. This is because the DS is huge huge huge in Japan and thus most games are going to be catered for the Japanese.

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #67 on: August 08, 2007, 01:46:05 PM »
Quote from: Lycanthroat;4208
Good point, but some people mix up "original" with "extremely Japanese".

This. On point, Lycan.

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #68 on: August 08, 2007, 01:53:34 PM »
The guys doing Contra IV also did Shantae, so I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt. The videos for it look pretty hot, at least.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #69 on: August 08, 2007, 02:24:16 PM »
Never played Shantae unfortunately. :( I'm sure I would be more excited for Contra IV if I had played it.

Camanche
Same shit, different style.

View Profile Email
camanche@gmail.com
Camanche phones it in,
 « Reply #70 on: August 08, 2007, 03:51:03 PM »
You guys are making me look more towards a PSP with all this talk. I think I'm becoming a handheld gamer. So Brave Story is my best bet for an RPG on the PSP or what are your opinions? I find I've had some trouble getting into most handheld RPG's, like Golden Sun for example. Maybe the higher-end-ness of the PSP will help me get over that. Or maybe I should just stick to reading novels. lol

Camanche has 171 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #71 on: August 08, 2007, 05:02:35 PM »
I think most handheld rpgs suck for the most part , at least in comparison to their console and pc counterparts.

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #72 on: August 08, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »
If you didn't like Golden Sun, you might want to try out Brave Story before you buy it, it is the best RPG on the PSP (good graphics, interesting story, a simple turn-based battle system, random encounters) but it's not as deep as other RPGs or really unique.

Check out some reviews:
http://www.gamestats.com/objects/815/815521/

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Camanche
Same shit, different style.

View Profile Email
camanche@gmail.com
Camanche phones it in,
 « Reply #73 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »
So what games are worth it on handhelds these days? I was a big fan of the Harvest Moon series and Pokemon back in the day and am looking for something new and good. Maybe I'm just feeling too old for video games these days, who knows. I'm sure I'll find something good.

Camanche has 171 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #74 on: August 08, 2007, 05:35:32 PM »
Cammy, Ys: Ark of Napishtim, if you get a PSP.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: