DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:42:19 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS or PSP (Read 74996 times)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #45 on: April 20, 2007, 12:12:34 AM »
Yes it was. It was a shame Neo Nectaris wasn't released in the 'states for the TurboDuo.  I would love an update on the DS.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #46 on: April 20, 2007, 12:28:21 AM »
Quote from: Heat;2725
I don't care much for strategy-RPGs. Did anyone else find it odd that they had a 12-year-old girl that speaks in the third-person named "Nietzsche".

lol Yes, actually.

Quote from: Kakizaki
Yes it was. It was a shame Neo Nectaris wasn't released in the 'states for the TurboDuo. I would love an update on the DS.

1. I just asked you about this at another forum.

2. You unknowingly answered my question here.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:42:05 AM by Stack Bundles »

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #47 on: April 21, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
^I checked out the other forum first.....

Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #48 on: August 07, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
I'd go for my PSP anyday. With a 4GB card, I can have all the music/videos/game saves I want and the games for the PSP are damned good. I currently own Valkyrie Profile, Innocent Life - A Futuristic Harvest Moon, Tales of Eternia, Monster Hunter, Tekken - Dark Resurrection, LocoRoco and Blade Dancer.

Ok so Blade Dancer isn't that good, but other games are coming out that sound pretty cool. There's Monster Hunter 2, Riviera - The Promised Land, Brave Story - A Travellers Tale, Tales of the World - Radiant Mythology, Tales of  Phantasia - Full Voice Edition, Tales of Rebirth, Dragoneer's Aria and others. For someone who mostly plays RPGs anyway, this is more than whats being released on the next-gens right now.

Plus I can play them on the train and long car journeys : D

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #49 on: August 07, 2007, 05:06:57 PM »
Brave Story is good, one of the best RPGs on the PSP, definitely worth buying.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #50 on: August 07, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »
^LOL Like that's a difficult thing to accomplish.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #51 on: August 07, 2007, 06:27:53 PM »
heh, yeah...

Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #52 on: August 07, 2007, 07:15:19 PM »
Personally, as someone who's owned both, I'm going with psp for numerous reasons.

1. Most of DS' line up is overrated and never delivers.
2. PSP's games feel more geared towards being played on the road than DS.
3. PSP has more technical prowress.
4. PSP has more interesting games.
5. PSP hacks are awesome. Being able to play psx games on the psp? Hell yes.

I never understood why Nintendo fans seem to think that Nintendo is the only option in the handheld market and act like PSP is a failure, when it isn't. Anything looks like a failure in comparison to the DS, who's popularity is unlike anything we've seen before in regards to handhelds.

PSP's worthwhile games vs DS' worthwhile games:

Wipeout Pure
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Lumines (ported to ps2 called Lumines Plus, but that type of game is better on the go)
Lumines II
Intelligent Qube Mania
Every Extend Extra
Gurumin
Ultimate Ghouls N' Ghosts
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Sid Meier's Pirates! (perfect handheld game)
Metal Slug Anthology
Megaman Maverick Hunter X
Megaman Powered Up
Ridge Racers
Loco Roco
Tokobot (ps2 port available)
Exit
Powerstone Collection
PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient
Sega Genesis Collection (perfect handheld game)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (for those who can't get ahold of the original version0
Gunpey
Gradius collection
Outrun 2006
Capcom Collection remixed (perfect handheld game!)
Capcom Collection reloaded (perfect handheld game!)
Parodius Collection
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
GTA: Vice City Stories
Guilty Gear Judgment
Breath of Fire III (Euro Import)
Princess Crown (Asia Import, unless you want to spend 60-100 dollars on the Saturn game)
Tales of Eternia (Euro Import)
Daxter
Mercury Meltdown
After Burner: Black Falcon

vs

Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright 2
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Yoshi's Island 2
Etrian Odyssey
Kirby Canvas Curse
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Ouendan 1
Ouendan 2
Elite Beat Agents

Not to mention, psp's 2007 line up is damn good and makes ds' look like a joke. The only interesting games on the horizon for ds are the Dragon Quest remakes. PSP has got it all covered though, especially if you're a fan of strategy games.

Worthwhile PSP games on the way:

Jeane D'Arc - strategy rpg
Wild Arms XF - strategy rpg
R-type Tactics - turn based strategy
Final Fantasy Tactics (and not that shitty Final Fantasy Tactics Advance bullcrap) - strategy rpg
Wipeout Pulse

Worthwhile DS games on the way:

Phoenix Wright 3
Dragon Quest IV-VI
Dragon Quest Joker

PSP is for the hardcore gamer. DS is for the gamer who likes gimmicks. When someone tells me that psp doesn't have any games, I laugh, because that tells me that 1. They're Nintendo fanboys who feel that it's impossible for another handheld to compliment a Nintendo handheld because "Nintendo is the best" and 2. They haven't even bothered to look.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 07:19:37 PM by Himuro »

Himuro has 151 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #53 on: August 07, 2007, 07:20:12 PM »
I don't know, I think the DS has more worthwhile games for that. Honestly, a lot of the "best" PSP games I give up on pretty soon after getting them. I really don't think stuff like Loco Roco, Gurumin, Gunpey or Tokobot are must owns, personally.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #54 on: August 07, 2007, 07:37:39 PM »
Unfortunately, almost every single time I've tried a game on it that had been hyped up to hell (New Super Mario Bros for example) it was simply disappointing. From Hotel Dusk, which was an extremely average adventure, especially if you're familiar with pc point and clicks; Megaman ZX, which was extremely poor when it comes to Megaman standards, especially after coming off the Zero series; to Castlevania Dawn of Sorry, which was basically Aria of Sorrow, only not nearly as good; I've found the majority of ds games I've played to be disappointing.

I've come to the point where I really don't listen to anyone regarding DS games. I still like the ds, if only for Portrait of Ruin (<3), but I find the line up weak overall. Definitely a minority opinion on the issue.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 07:40:28 PM by Himuro »

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #55 on: August 07, 2007, 09:30:45 PM »
I agree with Tony, the DS has a lot more worthwhile games then that. To be honest, I'd probably use my PSP more for music and videos if it wasn't for homebrew and the Custom Firmware. The PSP does have good games, but it needs more original ones like Silent Hill Zero and Brave Story.

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #56 on: August 07, 2007, 09:34:04 PM »
A good number of the titles you list for PSP are compilations (and at least in my case, I own many of the games on many of the comps), and a few are ports. If you knock that down to original titles, the PSP list isn't nearly as extensive.

PSP is for the hardcore gamer. DS is for the gamer who likes gimmicks. When someone tells me that psp doesn't have any games, I laugh, because that tells me that 1. They're Nintendo fanboys who feel that it's impossible for another handheld to compliment a Nintendo handheld because "Nintendo is the best" and 2. They haven't even bothered to look.

Lame. Reminds me of Kupomogli.

Nearly all of the upcoming PSP titles are in one genre, and you listed five. You listed 6 DS titles. Even though this is based purely on your own opinion, that isn't overwhelming support.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 09:45:35 PM by Kakizaki »

Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #57 on: August 08, 2007, 12:39:07 AM »
It doesn't really need overwhelming support.

When it comes to the compilations, I think that's a good thing, because a lot of the games on them are great for handheld gaming. Sega Genesis Collection in particular. Phantasy Star II and IV on the go? Yes please.

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #58 on: August 08, 2007, 09:23:19 AM »
Quote from: Himuro;4171
been hyped up to hell (New Super Mario Bros for example) it was simply disappointing.

Well, I'm glad someone agrees with me on that one. It's decent, but man. It saddens me that it's sold so much more than far better entries in the series. Stupid new power ups, poor level layouts, way too many lives. I don't like it much.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #59 on: August 08, 2007, 11:26:15 AM »
How are psp games better geared for roadplay than ds? I'm surprised the psp is even considered a "portable" handheld. The thing has a miserable battery life and even in sleep mode quickly consumes energy. Also most psp games are nearly console games, usually ports, which require a good amount of sitdown time to adequately play. This is mostly a complement to the system, but I consider most ds titles more apt for quick fixes. (That is except for the point and click titles, or adventure games.) I own both a psp and ds. Currently I play my ds far more than my psp. I'll agree that most upcoming psp titles look fantastic, and there are numerous ds titles you forgot to mention. (It's A Wonderful World, Contra IV, FFCC:Rings of Fate, Front Mission, Phantom Hourglass, Ninja Gaiden, on and on and on.) So as it stands ds edges psp out, for me anyway, as the best handheld on the market, right now.

I also completly agree that both Megaman ZX and New Super Mario Bros blew.

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: