DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:05:40 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: persona remake on PS3 (Read 58536 times)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #60 on: June 16, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Quote from: Kakizaki;3150
Who is this Hitler you all keep speaking of?

Hitler appears in the game of "Persona 2 Tsumi" or Innocent Sin. But I guess you dont fight with him, but you fight with his army.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #61 on: June 16, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
Quote from: Emilio Morales;3149
The name of that channel is not History Channel... I prefer calling it The Hitler Channel

I'm betting you've never even seen the History channel.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #62 on: June 16, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »
Hitler appears in the game of "Persona 2 Tsumi" or Innocent Sin. But I guess you dont fight with him, but you fight with his army.

Oh, so Hitler is a video game character? Whats the big deal? What kind of army?

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #63 on: June 17, 2007, 12:27:15 AM »
I think the army was made up of Neo-Nazis trying to revive Hitler or something in Innocent Sin, and that was the reason why it never made it over here, SCEA didn't approve.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Avalon

View Profile Email
Avalon phones it in,
 « Reply #64 on: June 17, 2007, 12:32:59 AM »
Quote from: aerozero;3155
I think the army was made up of Neo-Nazis trying to revive Hitler or something in Innocent Sin, and that was the reason why it never made it over here, SCEA didn't approve.

Heh. I know that's a popular belief and that could have been part of it... but, Atlus didn't release Innocent Sin because they simply did not have the financial needs to release two very similar games.

Avalon has 21 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #65 on: June 17, 2007, 12:57:53 AM »
Quote from: Avalon;3156
Heh. I know that's a popular belief and that could have been part of it... but, Atlus didn't release Innocent Sin because they simply did not have the financial needs to release two very similar games.

On the official Atlus USA website, before the release of Eternal Punishment in the U.S., it said:

In the end, it's you the consumer, who will decide whether Persona 2: Innocent Sin will come out.  So run down to your local EB and reserve your copy now!  Hell, reserve 2 or 3 just to be sure!

They could've localized if they wanted to, but they didn't. I'd imagine Innocent Sin would've been far more difficult to localize, as well.

Also, SCEA most likely wouldn't have denied the game because of nazis or Hitler, they would've denied it because it's a 2DRPG, one that wouldn't appeal all that much to the masses. They denied the PSX version of Soul Hackers.

Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #66 on: June 17, 2007, 09:46:06 AM »
Wait, so Sony didn't deny Eternal Punishment, a 2D RPG, but they would have denied Innocent Sin because it's a 2D RPG?

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #67 on: June 17, 2007, 10:35:10 AM »
My god you guys are no fun. I was just playing around about Hitler.

Avalon

View Profile Email
Avalon phones it in,
 « Reply #68 on: June 17, 2007, 11:41:56 AM »
Quote from: Heat;3157

They could've localized if they wanted to, but they didn't. I'd imagine Innocent Sin would've been far more difficult to localize, as well.

Sounds like they wanted Eternal Punishment to make some money before they even considered localizing Innocent Sin.

Avalon has 21 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #69 on: June 17, 2007, 01:03:04 PM »
Quote from: Kakizaki;3159
My god you guys are no fun. I was just playing around about Hitler.

Who?

This character limit sucks.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #70 on: June 17, 2007, 01:50:42 PM »
Quote from: Stack Bundles;3158
Wait, so Sony didn't deny Eternal Punishment, a 2D RPG, but they would have denied Innocent Sin because it's a 2D RPG?

I was going to clarify about that in my post, but I didn't feel like it. Perhaps SCEA has a limit on how many niche games one can localize at any one time, and Atlus USA decided Eternal Punishment would be the most successful, and probably the easier of the two to localize, it also has the better battle system. Seems more likely than "lolz atlus didnt have th emoneyz" or "omfg hitlar".

I honestly recall hearing something about companies and a limit on "niche" localizations. I'm not sure if Persona would count as a niche game, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #71 on: June 17, 2007, 03:08:22 PM »
Who?

I expected a certain someone to go for it, and they did, but then Aero had to go and ruin my fun.

Oni-Kagura
You know, that one guy.

View Profile Email
Oni-Kagura phones it in,
 « Reply #72 on: June 17, 2007, 10:38:10 PM »
Quote from: Heat;3147
We have an entire channel dedicated to Hitler. It's called the History Channel. If we can handle seeing him on TV, we can handle seeing a faux version of him in a game. It's not even really Hitler.

I play a collectible miniatures game called HorrorClix. Recently, someone brought up the idea of figures based on Nazi occultism, and the thread quickly became very heated and controversial. I was one who supported the idea, since Nazi occultism has become a pretty established form of horror, but the thread proves that there would be a lot of people opposed to putting Hitler in a game.

I definitely wouldn't mind it, but I can see the developer's possible concern.

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
 - Jules de Gaultier

Oni-Kagura has 35 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #73 on: June 17, 2007, 10:48:33 PM »
Quote from: Oni-Kagura;3164
I play a collectible miniatures game called HorrorClix. Recently, someone brought up the idea of figures based on Nazi occultism, and the thread quickly became very heated and controversial. I was one who supported the idea, since Nazi occultism has become a pretty established form of horror, but the thread proves that there would be a lot of people opposed to putting Hitler in a game.

I definitely wouldn't mind it, but I could see the developer's possible concern.

If the Japanese can handle having Hitler in a video game, then so can we. There will always be people that are opposed to something, doesn't mean we should avoid whatever the hell it is they're opposed to.

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #74 on: June 18, 2007, 08:11:46 AM »
I think there's a very large discrepancy between using Nazi-ism in terms of history lessons (even if it's on TV) and using it for a work of fiction.

At the same time, shows like Family Guy seem to reference the guy a few times a year in some way, Seinfeld made jokes about it. Perhaps it's different if it's handled in a more "serious" fictional-ized way. As bizarre as that was in Persona 2, it's certainly not meant to be completely a joke like, say, Hitler's friendly talk show on Family Guy.

There's also countless WWII games, even including random things such as Wolfenstein. So I'm not sure how to take that. Perhaps being able to skew those as war games makes them more acceptable in the eyes of a lot of people.

Innocent Sin surely was skipped over initially because of its content, as Eternal Punishment comes afterwards. I don't think Atlus had much of an intention of bringing it out (hell, Maken X had all of that Nazi imagery removed), but certainly the sales of EP in the US had something to do with it. They don't release their sales figures here, but from all I've read it had underperformed even by their standards.

I guess through all of this is that it displays a lot of double standards and kind of a fine line where it's considered "OK" and "bad". So I don't know, I'm sure even the Family Guy and Seinfeld stuff bothers a good deal of people. In games and comedies I think it's probably smart to avoid it for many business reasons. Certainly other forms of media are less scrutinized than games are nowadays and are accepted it enough to get away with a lot more.

I don't know that I think Atlus would really get in much shit over something like that, but I can see why they'd rather just not bother. I'm sure they don't have a huge team of lawyers or the assets to help turn their image around if it goes poorly.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: