DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 18, 2024, 11:33:14 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 (Read 125758 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: December 22, 2010, 01:41:03 AM »
For most of 2010 I haven't had a shred of a second to deal with this website. Not because I was inundated with stuff like work... far from it. It just doesn't register as a blip in terms of my personal priorities.

That's not to say I don't feel guilty. But anyway, I just scrubbed almost 500 unactivated spammer account from the rolls. I did not realize that many were getting thru. Probably because the gmail junk account the alerts go to tends to fall off my radar once gtalk crashes after a few days since the last time I restarted my day to day workstation...

I suspect because the accounts were not able to be activated the websites email is probably not getting out... I'll have to test this later. If so I apologize to the few names in the unactivated list which held proper video game nerd credentials. If your account name looked like a spammer I apologize, you were probably deleted. Though I'm kinda thankful all these accounts were kept from posting, since Megaten has been pretty much dead anyway. I've even had time to catch up with some of the PS2 gen games while Atlus has apparently been on hiatus.

Spammers make it ridiculously difficult to keep a user registration friendly website on autopilot. I'm sure if Dante was alive he'd add a new circle of hell especially for spammers/prank callers... there is truly no lower order of scum on this earth.

I don't know how they get thru the reCaptcha stuff, it's really ridiculous. The Askimet system that fields the Wordpress comments on the main website seems to do a better job of keeping out spammers. If you really wanna register with the forums to infuse some life into here, maybe I suggest posting a registration request via comment here (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/forums/)

In the meantime I'm a little wary to make things easier to get thru for now. I even see spam posts from "guests" today which I'm pretty sure I did not delete without deleting their posts. Hopefully the database is in good shape and the server is sufficiently secure. I payed "good money" for it anyway.

PS: Hopefully in 2011 I'll be able to fix some stuff around here.

Will depend mainly on how much my work this year shifts toward web development projects.

EDITED: I'm disabling forum registration for a little while. In the meantime. If you (are able to) register with the main site and post a comment at http://www.digitaldevildb.com/forums/ I will manually copy your account over to the forum. Sorry. Will update asap.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:55:21 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: