DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:55:12 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Megami Tensei Wiki at Wikia (Read 28609 times)
Bluer
MegaTen Wikia Shadow

MaleView Profile WWW
I wear glasses
Bluer phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 10:14:38 PM »
Personally, I think all information is good information, and the goal of the internet should be recording all information and making it accessible in different levels of "granularity". When it comes to original material, any translation or whatever is just a tainted facsimile. It makes much more sense to document the original material by default, then put the various translation notes to an aside. Even if you feel like that seems overkill, just imagine the possibility of changing course down the line... it might not even be an option. Frankly the community makes the wiki, and my hands are full with this dive. Just some words of warning. Building a wiki on translations just seems like building a house of cards on sand.
Well, thanks for your concerns. As far as I know, we're not building a wiki solely on translation - we have coverage on the Japanese-only materials as well so I think we're balancing it out well. Glad to hear opinions, though, I'll keep that in mind.

BTW: For some reason the front page just doesn't wanna play ball (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/)
I actually would like to have the "Digitaldevildb.com Launch Page" off the wiki mainspace. Wiki mainspace is reserved for articles, no exceptions, sorry.

I propose moving it to the wiki projectspace instead, pages with the "Megami Tensei Wiki:" prefixes. Say... "Megami Tensei Wiki: D3" or something to that effect.

Bluer has 12 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 01:21:24 AM »
I don't think the page will show up anywhere if it is not listed in an article. A wiki is really like a microcosm of the WWW. I've administrated wikis on occasion. Anyway, I was just seeing how much of your front page I could maybe salvage. Truth be told, wikis are really not very good for doing front pages. I just wanted something up quick so anyone trying out these new pages could have a place to start clicking. It makes no diff to me what that page is called. It will probably not be used for long. Feel free to rename it, if you want. I'm not sure I have the privileges to do that on your wiki. Just leave it as a redirect until I know where it's moved to.

In general wikis are open books. Anyone can make a page anywhere in your wiki at anytime. So it's not worth getting worked up about them popping up.

I will probably just setup a custom page (on our site) that might query your front page and pull info from your daily feature type stuff. That would be much more practical than expecting someone to update the features on both pages wink

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 06:24:15 AM »
The pages on this site are technically ready to go as far as I can foresee atm...

However, I'm a little wary to just go hog wild with this stuff without at least asking for the support of your wider community.

So I've setup a preliminary page here (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/partners/megami-tensei-wiki/) in the meantime. I'd like to post about this development in your wiki somehow to ask for support (or at least consent)

Could you (Bluer) please recommend a "Portal" type area of your wiki to pop the question?

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 06:50:35 AM »
PS: Weren't you guys using the Devil Busting Jack Bros. graphic from the MIP game manual for your logo at one time?

You know the one... where the Bros. are decked out in swords and guns and other devil fighting paraphernalia?

Edited: Actually, that was probably the Revelations: Persona game manual. I'm not sure where that image originated to be honest...

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:58:04 AM by yksehtniycul »

Bluer
MegaTen Wikia Shadow

MaleView Profile WWW
I wear glasses
Bluer phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »
Decked out with swords....? I saw one in the Revelations:Persona Manual, but I don't remember seeing that image on the wiki. Curious.

I'm not sure where the current logo's image is from as well. Our founder created that image.

Bluer has 12 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 12:45:56 PM »
^Maybe your logo graphic was just so small that's what I imagined it was. You seem to have the same graphic this site is using for some avataars / the one the old site used in it's front page banner.

PS: I'd like a scan of that image if anyone can find it.

(As fate would have it, both my Revelations and MIP games were basically stolen by loathsome Megaten fans over the years... Megaten fans are not so big on the whole morality thing I've noticed sweatdrop)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:49:53 PM by yksehtniycul »

Jessicat
Cat In A Dragon Suit

FemaleView Profile WWW
Dragon Fanatic
Jessicat phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:17 PM »
Slightly random/off-topic but is THIS the pic of the Jack Bros. you're talking about?

Unfortunately I hate wikis, and I'd probably suck at coding it if I tried [I get so up with everything for it to all be right and in the end nothing much gets done ^^; Add to the fact that anyone can blow up your hard work with spam and it's not really worth it. Too much handling, I hate that XD]
I do have a big list of links [and a few recent atlus newsletters/stuff] if press/retro game news is any help? ^^; [It's a big WIP though ^^;]

The gate is open; it's time to raise some Hell!

Jessicat has 181 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 02:19:39 AM »
I think wikis are truly awesome, but not the end-all be-all solution I'd like for Megaten. I didn't think I would edit the wikia wiki... but I made an account to see the alternative theme, and happened to stumble over/add some to YHVH's page (in fact he was being called YHWH!? rainbow)

I added a Megami Tensei II section and clamped down on the "appearances" section which had YHVH speculatively in almost every game (on top of changing the name/page)

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/YHVH

I guess I also added stuff to the opening paragraph (but mostly I deleted stuff) ...I encourage Bluer to look over my changes.

PS: I will try to reply to rest of the outstanding junk in this thread before everyone wakes up in the morning....

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:21:53 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 05:21:20 AM »
Slightly random/off-topic but is THIS the pic of the Jack Bros. you're talking about?

That is definitely the composition. I love high saturation psychedelic colours as much as anyone... but I'm wondering if we can find a version with a more normal tone somewhere??

But yeah, I was thinking a version of that graphic would be a lot more interesting in the Megami Tensei Wiki's logo spot (then I could make a unique avatar for the wiki pages on this website)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 05:23:35 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 02:52:51 AM »
Google seems to have finally gotten it's hooks into these pages. That is I'm seeing a lot more of them via the google search form on the main site pages.

I wish there was a better way to make them more prominent from the front page, but I've listed them in a new "special features" page, basically a hilights roundup. And you can get there from a few clicks from the new "partnerships" page as well. Once there though you just get the category index. So really the easiest way to get started is via a search. Speaking of which I need to work on techniques to keep google from indexing crap like the rss feeds on the main site pages, because they just generate mostly a bunch of almost useless search links.

Anyway, all the content in the wiki almost makes this site seem informative for a change!

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: