DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:18:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEWS: FYI: The Database Needs Contributors… Or, If you thought we have a writing (Read 46400 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: March 02, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »
FYI: The Database Needs Contributors…
If you thought we have a writing staff, think again!!

Ever since the website was resurrected (after a nearly fatal fumble left it without a soul to tend to it’s needs) there has been a gulf where it was hoped wayward writers would find their way. We have waited and baited to no avail. So in one last ditch effort we’d like to make it plainly clear, we have no writing staff (in case anyone had presumed there was one.) In fact the website is user generated. Anyone and everyone are welcome, and encouraged, to make a scene in our forums, and we’re pledged to scramble to see that your contributions find a way onto the website. And anyway, this is how the website works now in case someone didn’t get the notice!

Oh, and on a not-unrelated note. The website will need to raise at least 100$ per year by way of the ads (per click) or there is no guarantee it will survive from year to year. So far we have almost 60$ in our coffers, but the current trend is not projecting in our favor. Observing our advertisements is a very easy way to support the site that anyone can do. Please consider doing so. Many people have worked hard to make this website possible, and now so can you! There are no more barriers (or excuses) just possibilities.

We have to find an English editor fast or else!!
Translators also welcome…

Without an English editor we can no longer continue to add timely content to the website or news blog in English. We always love to see new contributors, but we must find someone able to read and write English with enough ability to produce a passing paper for a college level course. An editor does not need to write new content for the database, but is needed to correct new content of varying quality prior to publishing. We need righteous people to help us get the job done! Please consider lending your talents to our effort…

On a less dreadful note, we’re nearing completion of our translation facilities. And would very much like to welcome anyone who can read and write two languages, and preferably one with native fluency, to help us translate our website’s interface and many articles. Please don’t hesitate to offer your support. This is a collaborative effort, so it is great to have as many people as possible working together to provide support for a new language. It is ok for the website to be partially translated. Our aim is to provide readers with the best information without inconvenience. Just pledge to help and we will add support for your favorite language and make you its first translator!

Our policy is to compensate our contributors, past and present, for all time. Contributors receive an agreed upon portion of our advertising revenue, renegotiated each quarter.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:33:18 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
benedict_x
aut viam inveniam aut faciam

MaleView Profile
benedict_x@hotmail.com
benedict_x phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:11:45 AM »
Am interested in the English editor job guys. I'm a Mass Communication (hons) graduate and
have done website content editing before. Also am a major fan of the SMT series and am quite
well versed in the occult/mythology. Email me so we can arrange something.
Thanks!

Punishment without pain is without meaning.
Nothing can be achieved without sacrifice

benedict_x has 1 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »
Thanks for your offer yourself in these time of needs, benedict_x  biggrin yksehtniycul will contact you as soon as possible.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
wolfzau
Translator

MaleView Profile Email
Remember that you are mortal
wolfzau phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring along with benedict_x for the English editor job. I'm an English teacher and a big fan of the genre, although I haven't done any website editing before.
Anyways, if you're interested let me know ianevans29@yahoo.com

wolfzau has 32 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:24:01 PM »
Ok, this sounds good! rainbow

We've been very lucky this time, because we seem to have another new member named Fishtank who has also privately offered her services. There is more than enough work to be done for two... and it will help if one editor or another is not available when a news item or whatever needs to be published smokin

Fishtank is also comfortable with Spanish I think, so maybe we can start putting more new content up on the site if since Emilio is more comfortable working in Spanish. With so much help we can probably adapt anything he can come up with for our core English readers (I will post the worldwide statistics sometime) ...it would be nice to try to get something on all the empty pages we have, so our readership could get a more comprehensive perspective of Megaten.

I will try to get everything in order asap. Accounts and permissions and all. Doing the actual work is not much more complicated than posting in forums. Sometime later tonight I will be free to set everything up.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully the mood will really buck up around here soon cool

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »
Oh wow! I also just noticed we have three would be editors up to bat sweatdrop

This should increase the odds of one of you hanging around for good tongue

Please everyone register with the same name as you registered in the forums here:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/wp-login.php?action=register

I can do this for you if I must, but it's better you do it^

Though I will probably go ahead and register anyone absent before setting everything up later tonight rolleyes

Right now I need to update the front page, and get outside~

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:15:01 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »
I've granted Fishtank's and Wofzau's WordPress account Editor status. I'll do the same for Benedict's as soon as his WordPress account is ready (let me know if you're having any trouble)

As an Editor, you can edit any Contributor's posts before their status is made to be Published (ie. they're Published)

If one of our Editors stands out above the rest, I'll probably give one Editor the ability to publish posts... so I won't have to be bothered with that responsibility.

Our Editors have a far more limited reach than traditional WordPress Editors. This is probably a good thing, because I can assign Editors without risking any actual damage to the website. So don't worry about messing anything up, because you can't tongue

Our Editors can't make pages, but most of our pages actually fetch their content from hidden posts. These posts are filed in the Pagetree category (part of a hack I cooked up -- this website is pretty much just WordPress on hack steroids)

Currently these page/posts are set to Private status, but I'm going to have to figure out an alternative to this sooner or later. The page content will be fetched regardless the status of the post however for now. So special care will have to be taken when working on pages.

I'm going to ask that you never use the Visual Editor option in your WordPress profile. In generally ask that Contributors not use this, and I'm tempted to hack it out of our system altogether. But as Editors you've a special responsibility not to fuck up others' posts - which the Visual Editor has been known to do (I've disable that option in your profile's btw) ...Therefore you need to be familiar with a minimal set of HTML concepts. Basically all you really need to know, is just like when posting in forums were you've probably made use of BBCODE (eg. [b]bold[/b]) you can do the same with HTML, only instead of square brackets, use angled ones (eg. <b>bold</b>) ...this seems simple enough but people tend to have serious trouble/anxiety when it comes to html. Other than all the stuff you've probably used with BBCODE, the only other thing I ask is you put paragraph tags, <p></p> , around paragraphs. This isn't technically necessary for WordPress (because it will automatically insert them if absent) but it's a good habit, because sometimes hacks I use might work around normal WP procedures, and on the Pages I like to have tighter control over presentation (which you loose when you let WP go auto formatting your stuff)

edited: Also use <br /> tags to force a newline (ie. before you press enter after a line of text)

If you want to have credits given to you as an editor on any post/page you can make a Custom Field (via the WP interface) called "editors", and put your user number, followed by a space, then your display name (your user number is in the address bar when you're on your WordPress profile page) ...the number is important, the following name is just for fallback and notation. Btw, I haven't implemented this feature yet but I will no problem. Oh and if some editor has already put their name their, just hit enter to make a newline after theirs, and type in your own number / name on that line.

For posts (that go in the news blog) all of the different languages are in the same post. Stuff in English goes between [lang_en] and [/lang_en] tags. And Spanish [lang_es] and [/lang_es], and so on. For pages, each page has it's on post. The Spanish version of a page goes in the Pagetree/es subcategory. We also translate little phrases around the site and page titles from this page I setup:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/maintenance/locales/es/ (might look funny on older browser -- haven't taken pains with it yet, considering it's not an official part of the website)

I gave Fishtank Spanish translation privileges, which basically will just let her edit that page, but Emilio pretty much has that page under control for now.

Many of our pages written by Tony (the original site founder) have very editorial type language in them. If any of our new editors would like to edit his stuff to tone that down, that would be awesome.

In the meantime, though technically I've already published this post... I still haven't put up an English version of it, because I haven't had time to edit Emilio's own translation into English:

ATLUS announce in one of their ATLUS Faithful mails, that the re-make of Megami Ibonroku Persona, will reach North America by the fall of this year. It looks like ATLUS USA is taking the Persona really serious since it was the series that attracted a lot of people to the Megatenfranchise that they're going to localize the game the same year that it will be released in Japan.

More information will be revealed the following weeks so maybe we can expect the exact date for the release or some cool goods that will be included with the game.

So if one of you just want to post an edit job of that into the forums, I can publish it (recall our Editors can't technically edit published posts)

Also go ahead and post that you're going to edit it, so we don't end up with two edited versions ok wink

WordPress btw will tell you if someone else is currently working on a post. So best to do your editing work online.

Ok! You have your marching orders, now hop to it!! Just kidding, but them's the ropes smokin

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:12:39 PM by yksehtniycul »

wolfzau
Translator

MaleView Profile Email
wolfzau phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:41:24 AM »
Ok, wasn't sure where in the forums to put this so I thought I'd do it here. Not really sure what you meant by tone it down so I've done it twice. The first is a lot more formal while the second I tried to loosen it up a bit. Whichever version you prefer let me know and I'll use it as a basis in the future.

ATLUS USA have announced, in one of their ATLUS Faithful emails, that the re-make of Megami Ibunroku Persona, will in fact reach North American PSP's by the fall of this year. It looks like ATLUS USA is still taking the popular Persona franchise, a series that has attracted a lot of people to the Megaten franchise, really seriously by localizing the game the same year that it will be released in Japan.

More information will be revealed in the following weeks, hopefully, we can expect the specified release date or info on some cool extras that will be included with the game.

In one of their more recent ATLUS Faithful emails, ATLUS USA have announced that the enhanced re-make of Megami Ibunroku Persona, will reach North American PSP's by the fall of this year. ATLUS seem to be taking this updated version of the PS1 classic seriously with reworked cut scenes, tweaked gameplay, and all new BGM featuring Persona 3 vocalist Yumi Kawamura.

Although not really surprising (the Persona series has garnered a lot of attention and attracted many new gamers to the Megaten franchise in the past couple of years) we at digitaldevildb.com can't wait for them to localize this game, if only so that we can play it the same year that it will be released in Japan.

More information will be revealed in the following weeks including, we hope, a specified release date and some other cool goodies that will be included with the game.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:51:37 AM by wofzau »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »
Ok, wasn't sure where in the forums to put this so I thought I'd do it here. Not really sure what you meant by tone it down so I've done it twice. The first is a lot more formal while the second I tried to loosen it up a bit. Whichever version you prefer let me know and I'll use it as a basis in the future.

Thanks, I will definitely use one of these smug

I think we want the website materials to be in a non-editorial stance. We want our contributors personalities to shine through, but we don't want value-judgment statements such as, "boy this game is a real stinker." You know, basic journalism ethics.

So as an editor it's your job to stay as close to the writer's intention and attitude, but to catch any language that is grammatically not up to par with traditional/establishment English and obviously not phrased in some colloquial fashion.

In Emilio's case, as long as he is happy, we are happy. English is not his first language, and he doesn't profess any definite affinity to one style or another I think. Generally his translations are pretty flat. So feel free to ad some levity. I tried to guss up his last several posts, but with very little time or patience I'm afraid. So you can even come up with better versions of those if you please.

Generally we file any editing / translations under the same forum thread you'll get to by clicking on the "Forum Discussion" link underneath each front page post.

I think this site leans to an overly informative format, but we try to keep the news items as short and sweet as possible. We'd like to be the final authority on everything Megaten... or at least that seems to be the tone/mission of the website we've inherited. So as an editor, if you want to coach a contributor to add more information, that is no problem. However, I think we want to keep a pseudo professional line between the author and the editor... so I'm hesitant to ever imply that editors should ad anything too informational/authoritative outside the stuff of standard practices. Unless an author seems withdrawn to work with the editors, then maybe you should step in to get the job done. Personally I try to cover all the bases, but generally everything is pretty lax around here. So if I seem really starched about this stuff, it's just an act smokin

Good work btw wink

PS: We're not really sure I think about how to address the website in print. But I think formally the policy is now to use digitaldevildb.com in writing (or just The Database, or even less specific addresses) ...then in graphics DDDB, and in some cases where appropriate just D3. Like in an interview for speaker initials, or some cases to save space without drawing attention. D3 is more often used informally, like in the forums to emulate speaking.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »
Also guys! PSX is officially no longer permitted to be used by Sony rolleyes

The original Playstation is now PS1. PSX is a DVR/PS2 home entertainment console released in Japan ninja

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(DVR)

wolfzau
Translator

MaleView Profile Email
wolfzau phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me, it'll be a great help in the future

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 11:06:30 PM »
Well, since there really isn't anything in particular for all of our new found editors to tackle right now rolleyes

I setup a post (which will someday become a page) here:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/?p=3810&preview=true

As an example of some of the objectivity problems we have with some of the old content. The old side ("archives") I guess was sort of Tony's sandbox. He wrote virtually all of it himself, and a lot of the material was/is very editorial in nature. Since Tony more or less dumped the site on the community, it's new concept is to be an open source site where the entire community can pool its resources. We don't believe any one person is capable of faithfully documenting all of Megatendom obviously. And for this reason we don't want editorial content as much as possible. There probably isn't even room for an editorial wing of the website in the future (though anyone can post comments)

Anyway, this article is just too editorial to publish as is. So if any of you guys would like to claim it and clean it up, that would be cool. You can also easily (ask if you need help) create such a post for any page in the archive yourself, and I will see that it is added to the new website proper.

I also gotta add, that this anime happens to be my favorite piece of Megaten merchandise ever produced. As an artist it also happens to be in my top five anime of all time list, and I think it's technically superb and a classic. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. I'm also probably the first member of the internet community to point out this anime existed (and no one really believed me for so long -- mine was just a guess because stills from it are in the Famicom Megami Tensei "1" instruction manual)

Anyway, you can see how opinions can so differ. I don't want a glowing review of it, but positive comments are much less offensive/benign than negative ones. This is also no place for panning snooty critic type journalism either.

It's definitely worth criticizing the commercial subtitler for using Roki instead of Loki, but otherwise... if you're gonna speak harshly or warmly, don't do it about stuff that is obviously subjective. In cases were products have been reviewed broadly by the industry, we can always cite reviews in the 3rd person, but we're not in the business of reviews here.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:10:01 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 12:20:09 AM »
Hey, checkout the cool Speedy graphic I'd added to this post (eg. on the front page) a few days ago biggrin

I just realized no one else was seeing me except me because I'd forgotten to transfer over some necessary stylesheet changes (to the public stylesheet)

Dunno if he makes the post illegible, but I thought it would take up less space to slide him underneath the text~

edited/ps: That reminds me... are we ever going to implement that tagging graphic system (ie. sticking little sticker-like avatars in the corner of posts?)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:22:19 AM by yksehtniycul »

Fishtank

FemaleView Profile
tortoisetree
Fishtank phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 03:39:46 PM »
Urp, sorry for the long silence on my part; college's been let out and I just now got back home (where there is Internet!). Guess I need to catch up a bit, but I'm sure that won't be a problem for me. Just hope I didn't let you down any by the sudden lack of communication- I didn't expect to not have a connection for this long.

Fishtank has 1 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »
Poor poor no-internet-university smug

biggrin Glad to have you! Don't give up~

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:51:52 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: