DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:38:52 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suikoden series-) (Read 22578 times)
Laharl

View Profile Email
Laharl phones it in,
 « on: May 10, 2006, 12:08:46 PM »
comment:

suikoden IV suks

Suikoden V cool

Suikoden III the best

Laharl has 16 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Dr. Frostbite
Half Man. Half Bear. All Action.

View Profile Email
Black Hubris The_Black_Phantasma
Dr. Frostbite phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:39:37 PM »
I thought the story of Suikoden 4 was good, although travelling in the ship was the equival;ent to riding a wet mop.

In my opinion, Suikoden 2 was the best-- becasue it was pretty much a direct follow up to the first one, had a great cast, and pretty much did a lot of fan service by having a lot of the coolest characters re-appear... like Clive.

Dr. Frostbite has 24 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:45:55 PM »
If 3 was any indication, I don't really see how the last few could really compare to 2. 2 was, by far, the best game in pretty much every last way. I also enjoyed the original, although I suppose it was a bit less impressive by comparison.

I bought 3 based on how much I enjoyed the first two and I enjoyed it for a while. I liked the style and the story wasn't bad. I enjoyed being able to play from multiple character angles. I also liked that whole trading goods system and wouldn't mind seeing it in other RPGs.

However, I just never felt used to the battle system, the "dungeons" that were nothing more than straight tunnels just bored me to tears and eventually I just felt like I lost any sense of fun playing it. It's not a bad game, but I guess it never really captured me.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Dr. Frostbite

View Profile Email
 « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 02:43:55 PM »
Well, in defense of the latter games, after 3-- the battle system is a lot more based on the first two installments, rather than part 3.

What upsets me, though is the fact that you can't take your memory card and load previous games into the new installments for extra bonuses... so you can literally avoid playing 1-3 and jump to 4.

However, I will admit-- Suikoden 3's intro was far better than any of the other intros. Just seeing the epic anime clips all compiled together into a montage of the story was just awe inspiring.

Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:54:30 AM »
I'd like to play the games but they're so rare to find(in English). The ones I'm really wanting to play is part 2 and 3. Part 5 looks awesome as well so I can't wait to get a copy of that one. :)

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Dr. Frostbite

View Profile Email
 « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
Well, 3-5 are very common in Gamestops and EB Games.

Suikoden 1 can be found online for dirt cheap usually, put Suikoden 2 will set you back $100-$200, sadly.

Mowf
A.K.A. The Living Radio

View Profile Email
mistamowf@hotmail.com
Mowf phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 11:21:28 AM »
I only played the 3rd one and I didn't like it at all. While the story was quite enjoyable the battle system was bad, too much backtracking and visiting the same locations over and over...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:36:13 PM by Mowf »

If the shoe fits tie your laces and don't trip.

Mowf has 21 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 10:05:08 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Frostbite
Suikoden 2 will set you back $100-$200, sadly.

Yikes...D: Too much just for a game...despite it is rare. Just not worth my money.^^;

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Dr. Frostbite

View Profile Email
 « Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 05:42:26 PM »
Ah. That's too bad, then. Suikoden 2 is probably one of the top 10 best rpgs of all time, imo-- mainly because it's tied in with the first one seamlessly without making you feel like you're playing the first one. Plus, it fathered one of the best villians ever: Luca Blight. In terms of just evilness, he greatly overshadows androgenous clowns like Sephiroth.

Icy Ace
Archduke of Giant Robots

View Profile Email
bane_of_sanity@hotmail.com Cielo Dyaus
Icy Ace phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 10:52:53 PM »
I thought the story of Suikoden 4 was good, although travelling in the ship was the equival;ent to riding a wet mop.

I agree... I thought it's handling could have been quite a lot better, but I really liked the main idea behind the story.

Far as favorites go...  even though I liked all of them and 2 is great (along with having my favorite videogame villian ever), 3 was my favorite overall.

"An army of squirrels is still an army" - Squirrel Mob, Magic the Gathering.

Icy Ace has 12 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 06:01:29 PM »
Suikoden 1 was good for the mid-90's, but I find the interface rather unfriendly and frustrating compaered to most latter day interfaces.

Suikoden 2 is one of the best games ever made. Great bad guy, good characters and charming graphics.

Suikoden 3 was terrible. I spent lots of money getting it on import (wasn't released on PAL) and regretted it. I don't know what I don't like about it, but I thought it was awful although lots of people like it.

Suikoden 4 was alright-ish, but whne you see Suikoden 2 all you can ask yourself is "Why, Konami? WHY?!". Not a terrible game, but not a very good one either.

Suikoden 5 isn't out yet, but apparently it's pretty good.

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
TheManInBlack
The Mystic Conman

View Profile Email
TheManInBlack phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
Suikoden I & II are two of my favorite games ever & by far the best of the series with part III as third best.

TheManInBlack has 20 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 01:05:05 PM »
II is overrated and really not all that good. At least, not as good as people would like you to believe. I thought the first was better.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »
Even though IV had a weak story, bad graphics, and a simple battle system, there's just something about it that makes me like it so much. I liked V a lot too, still playing I and I haven't tried III or II yet.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
TheManInBlack
The Mystic Conman

View Profile Email
TheManInBlack phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 01:23:01 PM »
Quote from: aerozero;2750
Even though IV had a weak story, bad graphics, and a simple battle system, there's just something about it that makes me like it so much. I liked V a lot too, still playing I and I haven't tried III or II yet.

I enjoyed it as well, oddly enough.

TheManInBlack has 20 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: