DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:22:26 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IMAGINE -- Writing articles (Read 30428 times)
Aren

View Profile Email
Aren phones it in,
 « on: January 13, 2009, 03:23:11 AM »
So it seems that I'll be writing articles about Aeria's version of this game. I look forward to being able to contribute information and answer questions that may have been left answered, though of course the game is still only in its third week of open beta. I also look forward to any feedback about anything that I hear from anyone forum member or not. I hope you enjoy my contributions to this site.

Aren has 10 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks for lending us a hand, Aren! And welcome to the forums!  biggrin

Let us know if there's something we can help you with. wink

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »
Awesome! rainbow

I just switched your WordPress status over to Contributor, so you can start composing new articles as soon as you are ready. I also took the liberty to disable the "Visual Editor" for your account. You can turn it back on from your profile, but to avoid confusion I ask our writers not to use it if they can help it. It can especially cause trouble for pages with the system we have setup.

Basically this system pulls page content from hidden posts which takes a lot of burden off high privilege users like me. If you're to be writing pages you will become familiar with how all of this works, but for now just start a post and write it as if you would like to see your Imagine pages, or anything else you'd like to help with.

All you need to remember is we're trying to avoid editorial content (ie. opinionated articles, op-eds, score based reviews, and so on) ...even though a lot of the stuff in some of our older articles (written by Tony) stray a bit from these standards. So just try to keep everything 'objective' (translation: no value judgments) fact wise, but feel free to exhibit as much personality as you can stand too smokin

If you need help, the fastest route to take is going to be to use our forums. We encourage discussion of site content generation in our forums, as the content of our site is user generated, and we want readers to know how hard everyone is working and how things are done around here rainbow

Finally there are no qualifications at this time as far as who can and can't write for us... anyone who want's to help is welcome. If you feel like you could use help from an editor it's no prob, and if not, we won't insist your stuff be edited for the most part as long as it meets our minimum standards and practices. There is also no limit to what kind of content you can bring to the table. If you wanna do something, just let us know, and I'll try to see that everything is setup asap.

Speaking of which, if you have any particular thoughts about what pages you intend to work on, and where you'd like to see them, let us know. Our IMAGINE pages are by far the most regularly visited at this time. We have nothing slated for the Megaten Online page. So you can write for that. This page is about IMAGINE east and west, and any future online Megaten titles, but in general is an introduction to the online options Megaten presents. I will setup an Aeria Games & Entertainment page that can be about Aeria and it's Imagine.

I am working on a more authoritative IMAGINE page. If you're a long time player on the Japanese servers you can help with that as well. If you feel like you need some sub pages that's no prob.

Major Imagine happenings can be posted in our news blog. Weekly update info though I might try to setup a sub blog for on the Megaten Online page, or information could be posted in Comments instead, perhaps with  monthly digest post on the front page for posterity sake.

Oh Yes! Welcome to the DDDB team! hearton

Now go make us proud smokin

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:38:08 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:21:21 PM »
Worldwide Imagine overview page:
http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/megaten-online-titles/

A long page detailing Aeria's handling of Imagine from day 1:
http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/megaten-online-titles/aeria-games/

PS: Sorry if the filing of this stuff seems confusing... but Imagine being an evolving MMORPG and more complex than a traditional game in general, it seems like treating it as if more than a one off game is a more reasonable approach.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:23:40 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »
Btw, as soon as it's ok with you Aren, I'd like to make a front page post announcing are intentions to cover Imagine. That way I can also move the Comming Soon graphic I made on this page:

out of the way, and give it a final resting place in the news blog.

Aren

View Profile Email
Aren phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:56:08 PM »
Btw, as soon as it's ok with you Aren, I'd like to make a front page post announcing are intentions to cover Imagine. That way I can also move the Comming Soon graphic I made on this page:

out of the way, and give it a final resting place in the news blog.
Sounds good to me. As for I'd like to do I would like to start out with something similar to what Tony had but of course more polished and a little less biased. I figured I would write an article giving an overview of the basic plot,gameplay,etc and then depending on how that goes more detailed articles. As for the JP version I have not played and as such think that's best left to you for now. I more then content to make articles and cover aeria/megaten,which reminds me item mall comes out the 14.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:19:02 PM by Aren »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:47:24 PM »
That sounds good. Just keep in mind the front page shouldn't be overly long. It's basically a summary. The Aeria page should only mention the Japanese game in passing. And basically the way we're planning the future of the site, is the very detailed stuff will center around the Japanese game page. And the international versions of the games' pages will focus more on what changes were made or what challenges the games encountered while transitioning to different markets. Which is to say we kinda don't want duplicate information all over the website. Like gameplay specifics in two different articles.

Eventually we'd like to turn most of Tony's articles into North American market centric pages, and write up new Japanese release centric pages for primary game info. But for now all we have is Tony's stuff which is pretty hybrid, but clearly from the NA pov.

Even if you just touch on story and gameplay there should still be a ton of stuff to write about in an Aeria centric article, which will probably require regular updates as Aeria rolls out it's flavor of Imagine.

I'm planning on writing a fairly detailed Japanese IMAGINE page. But stuff like gameplay specifics I would probably write up in a subpage anyway. So if you want to do something like that, it would be no big deal to sort out where to stick the subpages later.

I figure if our articles aren't thoroughly detailed and informed they won't have much more to offer than all the other sources out there. So our articles should be most in-depth available on the internet. And don't worry if it feels like it's getting long. We have varying layers of intro / info / detailed pages.

Aren

View Profile Email
Aren phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »
So I written two "articles" so far,both are waiting for review. I can keep doing they way they are now or can add them into one larger article if you'd like.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »
We can make post like these what we call "retro posts", that is posts that go into the news blog but are published when they were relevant. In this way readers wanting to get an idea of the Megaten timeline can choose to read thru our news archives and get a true sense of how things went. We welcome even posts about for instance the publishing of the first Megaten game ever. We like those posts to be written as if the article was to be published on that day and we have a special "Retro" category in case there is any confusion.

On the other hand you can combine these into a page about Aeria's handling of the game, possibly under separate headings. Again this page is setup for that:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/megaten-online-titles/aeria-games/

You can do both as well, but word them appropriately.

Also please include spaces after your punctuation where appropriate (ie. periods and commas)

I dunno if some romance language cultures don't do that, but we require it for our English articles, and our editors can't be expected to correct that. Also make sure all proper names are capitalized. If you're not sure, just capitalize by default.

Anyway, please don't stop now, the official Aeria page, like Tony's pages, should ideally be fairly wordy and cover as many bases as possible. Let us know what you'd like to do with your stuff after you think you're ready to be published smokin

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 08:26:09 PM »
Quote from: Aren's WordPress
four different languages: English, Spanish, German, and French

Also can you show me a source for this? I only understood a German release was planned. I don't think any build supports runtime locale support, but I could be wrong.

Aren

View Profile Email
Aren phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
Quote from: Aren's WordPress
four different languages: English, Spanish, German, and French

Also can you show me a source for this? I only understood a German release was planned. I don't think any build supports runtime locale support, but I could be wrong.
http://forums.aeriagames.com/viewtopic.php?t=173594&sid=7e438113b901fc17f04d412ca88849f0

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »
I took the liberty to edit the first paragraph of one of your posts: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/?p=2651&preview=true

You should be able to change / undo the changes via the Revisions tab at the bottom of the edit page. I don't wanna scare you off, but your posts are a little rough, so I figured you might welcome some editing. Ry is probably a more qualified editor than I but, he's apparently on sabbatical as ever doh

Please don't be discouraged rainbow

Aren

View Profile Email
Aren phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 03:34:38 AM »
I took the liberty to edit the first paragraph of one of your posts: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/?p=2651&preview=true

You should be able to change / undo the changes via the Revisions tab at the bottom of the edit page. I don't wanna scare you off, but your posts are a little rough, so I figured you might welcome some editing. Ry is probably a more qualified editor than I but, he's apparently on sabbatical as ever doh

Please don't be discouraged rainbow
Don't worry I have no problem with people going over and editing anything I write. It's been a while since I've done any real writing and as such I'm a little rusty. Giving me feedback or advice is really the only way I can improve my writing skills.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
Well I just quickly edited some stuff, so it probably isn't linguistically consistent as I left it, but I tried to give an idea of the level of writing we'd like to see (my writing ability is actually not the best)

Basically we do want you to do your best to write as a journalist, which requires a little more thought than just casually posting in a forums. However sometimes over thinking writing can make it feel unnatural as well -- that's when editors tend to be most useful actually. It just takes practice. Also journalist don't generally write as you'd speak, the way many of us post in forums. Transitional words like however, anyway, nonetheless, though, tend to be discouraged as superfluous and overly personal.

Your language was a bit un-objective. If you feel like something must be criticized, at least do it from the third person... ie. instead of saying x was bad, say the popular press unamiously agreed x was bad. Even still we'd prefer to avoid value-judgment statements like that altogether. If you feel like something is bad, you can make a comment. sweatdrop

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:59:53 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »
Aren,

Please let me know when you're positive you'd like to have one of your posts published. The two posts we could publish in the blog, seem to be either sometimes repeating the same points in different sentences, and or in general not having enough information to set themselves apart from other news items. If you can track down any official graphics or screenshots we could use to add some colour / orient the post that would be cool as well.

We can use these as retro posts, but our blog is actually so far behind they'd probably end up being the first post on the blog.... so we will publish them eventually, but we need them to be pretty good if you know what I mean. And I don't wanna start personally editing them until you feel like there is nothing more you can add.

Also it's worth noting unless you feel your post is totally ready to show up on the website, it's better to leave it in "draft/unpublished" status. Pending Review status is when you're done working on it, and want an editor to send it to the presses so to speak.

Speaking of editors... I emailed DevilRy today to try figure out what the fuck he's doing lately. I'd like to promote him to Editor now that I have finer grain control over privileges. But he's never showed a heaping helping of responsibility for the website, or the ability to be present day to day. Regardless he's the only person I know qualified to be site editor, and we are gonna have to have someone, because I just can't bare that burden along with administration smokin

Sooo, if I do manage to get him to drag his sorry ass back in here... please show him some serious appreciation ok! He's very temperamental unfortunately... like our own little Akira-cum-Amon I guess rolleyes

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:54:51 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: