DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:10:05 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Devil Saga 2? (Read 81773 times)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « on: August 22, 2005, 03:01:32 AM »
Is anyone as excited as I am? :) The game comes out sometime next month! I'm not sure about the exact date because Atlus USA tends to change it a lot but I guess this gives us a chance to go through another play-through of DDS to get all the goods we missed?

Anyway, if you check out RPGamer's DDS2 section, they have quite a few English screenshots as well as movies. (Did I forget the high-quality art?^^)

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Philemon
Entity of Light

View Profile Email
Philemon phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 03:03:37 AM »
DDS2 can't come soon enough :D I can't wait for the resolution to such an interesting game :lurk: ! I need to see me some more Serph and Heat and Sera, and the mysteries of Angel and Gale revealed!

"I, Philemon, and Nyarlathotep are the source of people's Selves--the personification of the Collective Unconsciousness. I lead those with strong hearts, and the Crawling Chaos seduces the weak to the Underworld."

Philemon has 30 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 03:05:13 AM »
Not really. Though, I've yet to beat the first one (not surprising). Have they released a DDS2 OST, yet?.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 09:12:57 AM »
I'm really looking forward to it, probably moreso than any other game this year (although it may be tied with Dragon Quest VIII heh).

The first one ends with such a cliffhanger that I really can't even expect to not play the sequel to understand anything. It literally just ends and then the credits pop up. I want to know what the hell actually happens to these people lol. Of course, some things have been kind of spoiled for me over time thanks to working on things, but I still don't know a lot of it.

I took video of the ending that I'm putting up on Digital Devil Database soon. I figure there will be someone who wants to play the sequel that just didn't have time (or doesn't want to or whatever else) to finish the original.

I do wish they'd announce a date beyond "Fall" already, though.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
radiokill

View Profile Email
radiokill phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:51:59 PM »
I'm looking forward to it too! The ending was rather confusing for me in the Jap version, and I couldn't always understand everything I read... plus, it's always exciting to hear them talk in English. ^^

radiokill has 20 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »
If anyone cares, GameSpy has a new DDS2 preview up. Though...

"Time-tested" is a nice way of saying archaic; Atlus has hit us with too many similar RPGs too often.

I can't believe they're whining about this. Square does it, and their games aren't even half as good. Though, it's GameSpy, so, yeah. They're as bad as IGN.

Radikal_Dreamer

View Profile Email
radikal_dreamer@hotmail.com
Radikal_Dreamer phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 05:21:06 PM »
I'm replaying DDS1 again in anticipation of this title. This is probably my most anticipated game at the moment, though that's mostly because Final Fantasy XII was delayed until whenever next year.

Radikal_Dreamer has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 11:27:56 AM »
Quote from: Raidou
I can't believe they're whining about this. Square does it, and their games aren't even half as good. Though, it's GameSpy, so, yeah. They're as bad as IGN.

Now that they're owned by IGN, there's seemingly even less difference then in the past. I don't pay much attention to specific  reviews at all anymore... Gamespy and IGN in particular just do not share my opinions on RPGs in general. I actually was talking about this on Gaming-Age's Forums awhile back and the guy running IGNPS2 basically said that no one in his section even cares for the genre all that much... how much stock can I put in them then?

I think it's a ridiculous complaint, honestly. The similarities are, as you said, no stronger than the ones between Square titles or the upcoming Shadow Hearts games and on and on. Final Fantasy has become almost sacred on major sites and magazines, probably to avoid bitching from its rabid fans. You rarely see a single complaint launched no matter how the translation is, how interesting the battle system is or how the characters are. If they just like them then whatever, but it's still weird to see complaints launched at games like DDS and SMT that could be likewise launched against games they rave over. What can you do, though?

SMT:N and DDS are honestly rather similar in basic construction... the dungeons and battle system, for example. Personally, I like dungeons and I think the battle system is fun and rewarding considering it's turn-based (which is more than I can say for most RPGs today). Even from the bits I've read of DDS2, it's obvious that a lot of things were fixed or improved or replaced that would benefit the title. You'd think story and characters would count in this case, but I guess not.

Still, three games over the course of a year and half that share some basic mechanics isn't making me upset lol.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 11:33:19 AM by Tony »

Radikal_Dreamer

View Profile Email
radikal_dreamer@hotmail.com
Radikal_Dreamer phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 12:58:19 PM »
I take reviews quite differently than they were (probably) intended. I normally don't really look at the complaints and things like that. I just look at how they describe the game itself, then I think to myself whether I would like that or not. Like, that statement up there, I'd have probably thought of that as at least a slight plus, because I'd be thinking, "Well, I like DDS, and they say this is similar, so I'll like this." As another example, a lot of reviews had complaints about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's system of doing things. I didn't take those as minuses, though, as I thought "Hey, I'd actually like a game that does that."

The bottom line: A good review describes the game rather than either praising or complaining about it.

Radikal_Dreamer has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 01:05:03 PM »
Quote from: Radikal_Dreamer
I take reviews quite differently than they were (probably) intended. I normally don't really look at the complaints and things like that. I just look at how they describe the game itself, then I think to myself whether I would like that or not. Like, that statement up there, I'd have probably thought of that as at least a slight plus, because I'd be thinking, "Well, I like DDS, and they say this is similar, so I'll like this." As another example, a lot of reviews had complaints about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's system of doing things. I didn't take those as minuses, though, as I thought "Hey, I'd actually like a game that does that."

The bottom line: A good review describes the game rather than either praising or complaining about it.

A good review is no review.

Parasite
Shining Force ftw!

View Profile WWW Email
ParasiteMT@gmail.com COTMFreak parasitemt
Parasite phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 09:31:21 PM »
A good review is no review.

True, true.

I don't listen to reviews, a lot of times they can be very misleading.  I used to go by a lot of reviews in the past, but soon found out that some of the games that got bad scores were actually very good.
----

I'm also very eager for the release of DDS2, almost nearing the end of DDS1's first play through.  Though I'm probably going to go through a 2nd one and try to beat Demi Fiend, I still can't wait for it :(.

Parasite has 65 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 10:21:41 AM »
Quote from: Parasite
I'm also very eager for the release of DDS2, almost nearing the end of DDS1's first play through. Though I'm probably going to go through a 2nd one and try to beat Demi Fiend, I still can't wait for it :(.

Have you already finished off all the other optional bosses?

Parasite
Shining Force ftw!

View Profile WWW Email
ParasiteMT@gmail.com COTMFreak parasitemt
Parasite phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 01:00:40 PM »
Quote from: Tony
Have you already finished off all the other optional bosses?

No I haven't yet.  I'm planning to put a big dent in the optional bosses today.  I was thinking of just forgetting them, but noticing that all the demons are really strong at the end of the game, so it might be good to get a ton of Macca and Karma.

EDIT: LOL, I got owned by Beezlebub (human form), this is going to be tougher than I thought.  Yes, I know I'm weak, all my characters are level 40-45. :D  (For some reason, in MegaTen games, I tend to be underleveled most of the time.)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 12:41:59 AM by Parasite »

Parasite has 65 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Naomi
Lonely

View Profile Email
Angelic_Naomi@hotmail.com Arielg03
Naomi phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 03:18:10 PM »
Not really. Though, I've yet to beat the first one (not surprising). Have they released a DDS2 OST, yet?.

Well when I went to preorder DDS2 today I read that when you preorder at some stores they will have the soundtrack. I didn't get it but I guess I'll wait until I get it. Maybe they will have it then.

Yay I have DDS2 and the Soundtrack!

Naomi has 37 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
JaggedJim
Persona User

View Profile Email
JaggedJim phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 12:08:30 AM »
I finally got around to preordering it at the local EB. She said that I should be getting a soundtrack with it, but she wasn't 100% sure. *crosses fingers*

JaggedJim has 27 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: