DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:02:58 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demonary stock terminology.... (Read 5872 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: December 26, 2008, 05:31:11 AM »
Okiedoky,

This is something that has to be done for the demonary to work. Fortunately it only really has to be done once, then we can reuse it more or less in the future (with some pruning)

I can't afford to do this more or less. Unfortunately it also requires some minimal comprehension of Japanese kana. Fortunately it doesn't have to be exactly correct, and others can correct any minor mistakes along the way.

I can on the other hand make this as easy as possible, so I've setup a separate spreadsheet which is streamlined for this task called "Stock Terms" for now:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=piKSlpkg0llAny-VoXNRkKQ&pli=1

You don't have to worry about putting things in alphabetically, because we can sort this spreadsheet at any time. Just right click on the dark grey column at the very top and choose the A->Z option, and it will sort itself. You should do that regularly if you don't wanna have any double entries. I recommend filling in the sorted column first.

This table is going to be very big, and I don't want it ordered in any more complicated way. If you need to find a column, you can always do a normal page search for a term.

Probably there is a better listing of terms online spelled out in romanji, but there are romanji terms available on this page for the most part for all of the basic spells and such:

http://www.sumarucity.com/megami/wiki/index.php?title=Persona_Name_Changes

Many of the terms don't actually have romanji and appear to be literal translation of English katakana inscribed terms. I want the actual katakana in the sorted column. You can guess it if you like, but make sure the first two or three kana are pretty right.

Just get it as close as you can. If you can get the right Japanese terms copied in, I can easily check all of the romanji at some point. I put some katakana examples in. If the table get's started, I'll try to correct some and leave notes in the right most column if need be.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:59:44 AM »
On second thought, if you wanted to you could skip the romanji column for now, and work out of the Japanese column. Any column can sort the sheet at any time, so it really doesn't matter. I do prefer however that this particular table consist of standard Megaten terms only -- though it won't technically hurt anything in functional terms if odd stuff slips in. So no too exotic skill names, though I know many are regularly recycled.

The nonsense name spells are the best place to start. I know you can find many of the Japanese names organized here:

http://imagine.gkwiki.com/124.html

I can't really offer much more advice, but if you know a good system, you can insert notes at the top of the page. The first 10 rows are frozen. Unfortunately Google Spreadsheets only permits 10 frozen rows. So if you neee more note space use multiple headings in a single row.

Kanji names should look like 漢字[かな] if kanji is used in some games and kana in others (the kanji is not a Japanese translation)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 06:07:27 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: