DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:52:06 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPLIT: Potpourri is the devil and other offtopic classics (Read 38666 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »
I agree to a great extent, but I think it's going overboard to conclude people are right to be disheartened by a discussion they don't have much business being involved in. Granted it does make using the "most recent post" feature a pain. I try to discourage these types of spiels best I can, but I figure ignoring people completely would be worse than just humoring it somewhat.

It's one thing to complain, but try to put yourselves in others' shoes.

Developing the site collectively is at least as important as discussing Megaten. However much the tone in these cases are difficult on morale, I wouldn't dare permit this sort of thing to go on via PM.

Ry is way outta line I think, but seeing how the sausage is made is never pretty. This site is gonna have to be developed in broad daylight, and I'm not sure it's worth setting up an altogether separate forum installation for development purposes at this point.

If people can't handle a little anarchy I'm sorry to say it, but maybe they should stick to other websites. Otherwise this site can always use support. Get involved if you don't like the way it's handled.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:41:14 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 11:44:15 PM »
I agree to a great extent, but I think it's going overboard to conclude people are right to be disheartened by a discussion they don't have much business being involved in.

It is more about the general perception it creates than it is about the topic itself. With virtually no traffic, when the majority of posts you read involve some sort of jack assery, with both parties I might add, it tends to dissuade others from wanting to post...

If they don't have business in being involved in a discussion on a public message board, than maybe the discussion shouldn't be public.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 11:50:58 PM »
If they don't have business in being involved in a discussion on a public message board, than maybe the discussion shouldn't be public.
Anyone is certainly welcome (encouraged) to involve themselves in any discussion. But this is the site dev board. So unless a user wants to help in that way, it really isn't their business (ie, just not worth their time to read)

edited: PS: I'm still not convinced this site will get off the ground, but I think I've heard enough excuses as to why -- whereas far as I'm concerned there just isn't enough independent interest in Megaten. If people aren't interested for petty reasons, they only have their self to hold responsible. We will only be able to improve upon the site so much after all.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:56:04 PM by yksehtniycul »

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »
Anyone is certainly welcome (encouraged) to involve themselves in any discussion. But this is the site dev board. So unless a user wants to help in that way, it really isn't their business (ie, just not worth their time to read)

Fair enough, but most other boards don't grant access to the public for areas such as this. Voicing a legitimate concern regarding the welfare of the board.........fuck it..... this is pointless

PS: I'm still not convinced this site will get off the ground, but I think I've heard enough excuses as to why -- whereas far as I'm concerned there just isn't enough independent interest in Megaten. If people aren't interested for petty reasons, they only have their self to hold responsible. We will only be able to improve upon the site so much after all.

Good luck with the board. Maybe if you took a more backseat approach you would see results instead of dismissing people's thoughts (i.e. what you deem as petty reasons) and getting nowhere. I would say the copious amount of traffic at various other boards indicates that there may be enough interest in SMT, but I have a feeling you are really unwilling to look at or even address the real problem here. I have encountered more than a generous handful that are totally put off by you and the way you conduct yourself here, and I have on more than one occasion defended you, but maybe they were onto something. I hope things turn around here.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:09:51 AM by Kakizaki »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 12:11:57 AM »
I'd love to be able to not deal with anyone on official matters, but unless someone is volunteering a beaming smile and willing to do PR or whatever, that just isn't what I have pledged to do.

I'll make the site work, and not much else. I certainly will not be forced to not be myself on a social board just because I single handedly saved the sites ass.

I think I'm fair and impartial dealing with administration interaction. Granted I'm not sugar and spice and everything nice, but I am a righteous do gooder dude. The fact is you just can't please everyone all the time, including myself. If I deny something against my own wishes it's because the quality of the website is paramount.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 12:15:29 AM »
I would say the copious amount of traffic at various other boards indicates that there may be enough interest in SMT, but I have a feeling you are really unwilling to look at or even address the real problem here. I have encountered more than a generous handful that are totally put off by you and the way you conduct yourself here, and I have on more than one occasion defended you, but maybe they were onto something. I hope things turn around here.

I've never seen much more visible traffic to this website as long as I've watched it. The truth is most people these days just aren't so into Megaten to seek out a non-corporate, non-gamefaqs, website. It's just a fact you gotta be willing to accept. Unless Megaten sees a renaissance this website really just represents an information outpost in the worldwide web for the truly devout patrons of Megaten.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:18:00 AM by yksehtniycul »

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:04 AM »
^And the fact that I personally know 10-15 people who are desperate for a decent site to discuss SMT kind of goes against that.

Many of them have gone to other smaller, non-corporate boards.

I definitely not saying you have to be "sugar and spice and everything nice" but you seem to be in denial that you tend to come off as quite confrontational. I know I'm not the only one that sees that.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 12:21:34 AM »
Well this site is as decent as any. So what are they waiting for?

It's a public site after all. If they're afraid of people their just isn't a whole lot we can do about that rainbow

edited:
I definitely not saying you have to be "sugar and spice and everything nice" but you seem to be in denial that you tend to come off as quite confrontational. I know I'm not the only one that sees that.
I define myself as confrontational. It'll probably be on my tombstone one day. And you can bet I won't pull any punches on the social boards. No ones gonna get banned around here for being themself, so don't get any ideas.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:26:43 AM by yksehtniycul »

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »
I've already stated what the problem is, but you want to dismiss it as petty. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have done all the candy coating to them that I can. Several did join here recently, and the rest had been members already here for years.

Some of these boards have gone to the trouble of creating their own SMT subforums.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 12:36:38 AM »
I've already stated what the problem is, but you want to dismiss it as petty. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have done all the candy coating to them that I can. Several did join here recently, and the rest had been members already here for years.

Some of these boards have gone to the trouble of creating their own SMT subforums.

Well we appreciate the evangelism, but it sounds like you've done about all you can.

I actually wasn't calling the "problems" petty. What I meant was it's pretty petty to complain about the quality of a community or whatever while not being a part of it. I don't have much sympathy for excuses. If people want a good site/bbs they gotta do it for themselves. This is a web 2.0 site. It's community generated for the community, and anyone is welcome to hop aboard. The truth is the only people to blame for any deficiency with the site is the people not getting involved. Lord knows I've done as much as 20 men should have to, and Ry has done far more than he should have to. So I'm not gonna sit by while this sort of poo pooing is going on about what we have or haven't done.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:39:11 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »
No more potpourri in the games page... but don't get cocky thinking you can force a change just by making a big stink smokin

I won't deal with this sort of back and forth back biting in the future. Make your case in two posts or give it a break. Ask questions first if you need to. I won't be available today for commentary ninja

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »
Are you arrogant enough to declare this website (http://www.civilwarhome.com/potpourr.htm) in breech of the potpourri laws?

Actually, their usage is correct, but again, 'potpourri' describes *ALL* of the articles on that page, not just the ones that don't fit into other categories.  I just said it was anecdotal not incorrect.

I agree though, this probably should have been through PMs.  sweatdrop  We all get carried away now and again.

I'd like to apologize if my conduct is discouraging other potential or existent members in anyway though.  I don't want people to feel like they don't have a voice.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 10:23:51 PM »
Great information about the Civil War that fits into no particular category!

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »
Great information about the Civil War that fits into no particular category!

Which describes an organizational policy rather than the word 'potpourri' itself. 

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 07:55:19 PM »
It describes what Potpourri means in case anyone isn't familiar with the term or is just too oblivious to figure it out NessPJ-ani-bas

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: